iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just tried my first Kasco 7 degree . . .

Started by btulloh, August 27, 2016, 08:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

and I'm impressed.  Not a big test, but good results.  Went over after dinner just to put one of the new blades on the HM126 in the hopes that the temperature might eventually drop into the sawing zone soon.  I had squared up a little WO log the other day that had been sitting here for 5 or 6 months and it was still sitting on the mill.  We had a favorable wind, so I figured why not take a slice or two.  The cant was about 11 x 11, not real big, but fairly dry.

I really couldn't even feel the blade hit the log, which is not my normal experience with the 10 degree Lennox blades.  It cut very well,  especially considering the log was not green. It was like getting 10 more HP. 

Next week I hope to see how it cuts in some green logs of various types.  Based on what I saw (sawed) this evening, I am very optimistic about the Kasco 7's.  I know fishfighter has been using them for a while.  I wish I'd paid attention faster.

HM126

fishfighter

Good to hear. I haven't been sawing the last few weeks. :( Got one heck of a whack of oak logs to saw up once it cools down some.

You are right when first entering into a log. Cuts like butter. ;D Best part is that I been getting more BF to a blade. ;D

drobertson

Oh yea, plus they stay sharper longer than other makes, not to mention percent of blade breakage.  For those that don't have breakage, hats off to ya!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Seaman

Do you send them back to Kasco for resharp ?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

drobertson

Quote from: Seaman on August 28, 2016, 08:16:39 AM
I have been doing my own, a!though the supplier offers the service, I believe @ 7 bucks a blade, with free delivery every Wed.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

btulloh

Quote from: Seaman on August 28, 2016, 08:16:39 AM

I don't think the factory does sharpening.  I take them to a local service.
HM126

btulloh

Cut some more WO and RO with the new blades.  They really work great.  I'm looking forward to finding out how long they will stay sharp.  I cut bark, so I can dull blades pretty fast.  I think there's diamond dust in the air around here.  None of the logs I've cut have been dragged or skidded, so all the dirt in the bark is accumulated air blown stuff.  I sawed a big pine one time that dulled a fresh blade by the time I sawed it into a cant.  Had to to change blades before I could continue. 

A guy dropped off a load of nice pine this weekend, so I can see how these 7's work on pine (and pine bark).

This must be a loblolly and not the usual VA pine from around here.  11 nine foot logs and 8 of 'em are real good logs.  Three are junk.  Straight and tight rings.  The tree must have been pushing 120 feet tall.  VA pines around here seldom get past 70 ft.

This pine must have had oak limbs on it, 'cause I got a bunch of oak limbs under the logs.   ;)  I guess I'll put up with a few limbs for getting some nice free logs.

The weather is getting a little better for sawing.  Mornings are tolerable, and there's some cooler weather forecast for later in the week.  We sure could use some rain though.  Mighty dry.

So far, I'm really happy with the new Kasco 7's. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!