iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boards hanging up in the planer

Started by LeeB, December 29, 2019, 11:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Been having troubles with my Grizzly 15" spiral head planer. Boards want to hang up during the pass through. The cutter head and feed rollers don't stall out and make deep gouges and burn marks. Thought it might be crud build up at the front of the cutters but cleaning them did no good. I've tried adjusting the bed rollers with no success. Have cleaned both the infeed and outfeed rollers. Any ideas?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

low_48

Is there a pressure bar behind the cutting head? Raise it just a little bit.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Texas Ranger

How old are the feed rollers?  Mine got old and hard, needed to be replaced.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ed

Put a good coat of Johnsons paste wax on the table.....

Ed

21incher

The grizzly head can only cut about .10 at a time before hitting the drum so be sure the boards have been cut parallel. Another problem I have had is the lower bed roller opening can cause a board to hang up with the rollers properly set. Be sure to start with a flat jointed surface on the bed. I actually ground a small 45 degree chamfer on the output side of my roller openings so rough cut lumber would not hang on sharp corners with the rollers set at .005 above the bed
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

YellowHammer

If you take a thick board, say 6" or so, and feed it in, you can look (from a safe distance) with a flashlight and see where it's hanging.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

muggs

It seems like the pressure bar should be spring loaded. You can raise it up, but then it really wouldn't serve any purpose. 

LeeB

Went through and redid the adjustments and now all is good. The out feed roller was set at .010 and should have been at .020. The bed rollers were way off and basically at level with the table. I set them at .020 and am seeing very little if any snipe on a planed board.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!