iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maccullough mac3200 need replacement carb

Started by Pete32257, March 04, 2020, 10:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete32257

I bought my mac3216 new in the late 90's, use it only every couple years for hurricane cleanup. Probably no more than 10hrs run time over the years.

A couple years ago I ignored it and left ethanol based gas in it, and am trying to revive it, just for fun really.

It would start but die with throttle, idle poorly and only briefly.

So I dove in:

Fuel lines were gooey (replaced) new primer bulb too.

Carb full of crud, gray powdery. I ordered rebuild kit (gaskets and diaphragm only) cleaned repeatedly with spray carb cleaner, soaked in acetone (maybe a mistake), then chem dip carb cleaner. Cleaned with compressed air, set H and L screws 1 1/4 turns

Rinsed fuel tank, fresh ethanol free gas, 40:1 mix

New spark plug, correctly gapped .025. Strong spark.

Will start intermittently (briefly) on or off choke, with or without throttle open, but dies when I try to idle. When I play the throttle I can get a few more seconds out of it, will rev high then die like its starved for fuel.

Bulb primer seems to work right, gas visible in throat of carb, pull with good compression, though I did not check with compression tester. 

I still think its the carb blocked up passages, and I tried to find a new replacement 

Zama C1q M27 is stamped on it. Internet seems to confirm that it is obsolete.

My question: Does anyone know of an available similar carb that will be useful? Maybe to mix my parts with another zama or maybe swap out different make?  Maybe someone knows a simple swap? A lot of available carbs look similar, but if someone could tell me an exact available piece I would be most grateful. 

Thank You Sponsors!