iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles Shots

Started by Magicman, June 19, 2023, 04:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes, the latest vaccine is "Shingrix".  Two shots 2-6 months apart.

"Zostavax" is no longer available for use in the United States, as of November 18, 2020.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Linda and I got the shingrix duo several years ago.
Just a little soreness, nothing else.
My dad had it bad when in his late 80s.
I had what was diagnosed as a mild case about 30 years ago, mild rash around my right side about a foot long, just itched a lot, no real pain.
Maybe wasnt shingles Doc?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

hard to know now, but prob. over the hump.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I wonder about getting the Shingles booster vaccination which will be in September in the same arm?  My three Covid shots were also in this left arm.

It seems as I have worn this left arm out and should switch to the right arm. ?? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RetiredTech

We had all 4 rounds of covid shots in the same arm. I don't think it's the shots wearing them out.  Seems to have something to do with how many times the earth spins around. :D
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

doc henderson

I get all my shots and IV sticks for blood donation in my L arm.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RetiredTech

The wife went in for her VA checkup yesterday and they gave her the first dose of the new shot. I guess I need to ask about it next time I see the doctor.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

SwampDonkey

Mother had an outbreak of shingles over a year ago. Took the meds and got over it quick then the shot a few months later.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

YellowHammer

I got my first shot on Monday, and there were almost no side effects, (wrong) other than a swollen arm down to my wrist, my other arm hurt from my shoulder to my fingers, my whole upper chest ached, I couldn't sleep the first night and developed a slight fever, but that was offset last night where I had chills all night.  I now feel great, like a switch had been thrown.  

Jeesh

The bad news is the second shot, they say it's the "bad" one. It's scheduled for September.

So why am I doing this??

The funny part was the pharmacist asked they needed to send a note to my employer because I might feel bad for a couple days and may even miss work.  I said, no, my boss is a total *** :D :D and will make me work through it.  Actually, about lunch time yesterday, I was asleep on the couch, note or no note.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

my two shots I had no side effects at all.  My wife gave it to me, so maybe it was for something else.  

Old saw fixer

I had the earlier one stick shingles vaccine, and two years ago took the Shingrix regimen.

Is the shingles shot like tetanus where we need a booster every so often, or is it one and done?
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

YellowHammer

I don't normally react to vaccines, but this was a memorable one.   

I guess I'm just getting old.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

doc henderson

some discomfort is a sign your immune system is fooled and thinks you have the real disease.  Congratulation Robert.   8) 8) 8)

YellowHammer

So @doc henderson 

if I am getting a good immune response on the frost shot, is the second shot necessary?

YellowHammerisms:

doc henderson

who knows!  :)  prob. wait a while.  you can pre-med with ibuprophen.  I had shingles 10 years ago, and the shot did nothing to me, and you would expect a more vigorous response since the disease is usually the best immunizer.

doc henderson

as we age we respond less usually.  It will be interesting if you do not feel as bad with the second shot.  maybe had a viral bug at the same time as the first shot.  Or maybe you are not really that old.   smiley_old_guy

bluthum

I had my second shot yesterday. The first one was unremarkable and 24 hours into the second I feel fine except for pain at the injection site. Problem was the pharmacy girl stuffed that needle into my arm with great incompetence. I never had such a painful injection, it caught me totally by surprise and I loudly uttered some choice language right there in public. She's apologizing already and backs it out a little, Ow!, more choice language again. She says "I didn't expect there to be muscle there." Any extraordinary amount muscle there was a surprise to me as much strength as I've lost in recent years. Surely they still teach the difference between SC and IM in pharm school?

doc henderson

prob. never did.  that was nurses.  now all the Walmart's and Walgreens want the money for the injections, and it is good for those with no doc.  started mostly during covid.  now they are all trying to be a little clinic or something.

Ed_K

Had shingles in 99, there is no pain that's worse. Started at my mid section and went around under my left arm to my backbone. Pain, itch and pealing skin. V.A. gave me one shot last fall, and that was about as bad as a tetanus shot. Rita got hers a yr ago and says it was like a tetanus shot. I have to take acyclovir (an antiviral) for the rest of my life, and also sulfamethoxazole (a bacterial) too. It's nice to live with the thought that anyone can make me sick.
Ed K

Magicman

PatD and I just got our 2nd Shingles Shot.  I am hoping to avoid the arm soreness that I had with the first one.

SwampDonkey

Grandfather had shingles in the 80's, no meds for it and no vaccines for it then. Lasted months.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I had the first kind of shingle shots about 2-3 years ago. Do I need to get this new one?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Google may know or we will have to call @doc henderson and @doctorb to answer that.

I had a miserable night last night.  >:(  DanG arm was sore and my normal tossin' & turnin' sleep habits got interrupted.  I finally rearranged my pillow at 3 so I could turn on my left side and slept until 5.  Took a couple of Advil this morning and not doin' nuttin' today. 

Both of us are OK, just have sore arms to the touch.  My soreness lasted a couple of weeks on the first shot, PatD's about a week.

doctorb

By recollection....the old Shingles shot (Zostavax, 2006) was a one shot dose.  The new shingles shot (Shingrix) is a two shot vaccine.  As the efficacy of the new vaccine is far superior to the Zostavax, i believe the recommendations are that the new vaccine be given to provide better protection.  Await confirmation from Doc H.

My wife reminded me that we both were dish rags for a weekend after our Shingrix vaccine.  She had a worse reaction to the second shot than I.  Hang in there Magic!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

rusticretreater

I've had the two shot vaccine.  I do remember feeling a bit odd after the shot, but I have a stronger disposition than most folks.

In the past I have gotten a flu shot and it worked. It gave me the flu. 

No telling how the body will react to these things.  I guess MagicMan's body heard no shingles? Whats next? No 2x4's?  8)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!