iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warfarin.....experiences?

Started by upnut, February 10, 2024, 10:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

I have recently been prescribed to use Warfarin following atrial fibrillation which was treated with meds to cardio version. My heart doc has seen me thru ventricular tachycardia (2015) atrial fibrillation (2019) and now afib 12/24/2023 so he has my ultimate trust. Still, my only exposure to warfarin has been seeing it as the active ingredient in rat poison.... not a good feeling. Anyone here have some reassuring words about their experience with warfarin treatment?

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

barbender

The reason it is in rat poison is because in large doses it thins the blood to the point that the blood leaks through the arteries and the animal bleeds to death internally. At least that's my understanding. So don't take that much😁

Thankfully, there are for real doctors on here who can give you some legitimate advice🙂 
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

As barbender point out, Warfarin is just the name of rat poison that kills by thinning the blood and the rat bleeds to death. Follow the prescription the Doc gives, and don't take too much or your end may be the same.  ffcool ffcheesy

But I understand there are warnings about taking it and having injuries that the blood will not clot as fast. Rats don't get that message. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan W

Upnut—-Warfarin helps to prevent clotting.  I have been on it for over twenty years. No problems at all. A blood check called an INR monthly.  Don't have to draw blood.  Just a pick of a finger and a drop of blood on a little gizmo and it gives the reading. The ideal number is between 2 and 3. Good luck!

upnut

Dan- Thanks for the reply, that's reassuring. We are in the initial phase of determining the correct dosage, so blood draws (INR) a couple times a week. The anti coagulation unit at the heart institute locally is in strict control of the regimen so all is good there. It's all new to me....

Scott B.

Magicman

Your Dr. will also advise you regarding which foods (leafy) and vitamins (K) to avoid when taking Warfarin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

vit. K is an antidote to coumadin.  so it is important to know which food contain it in higher concentration.  It is important to eat them consistently (for you) and this is done in part by avoiding the ones that have high concentrations, so, the medication can be adjusted to your average daily consumption.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

upnut

Doc-Magic-  The anti coagulation unit provided an extensive list of foods high in K vitamins. A quick perusal tells me that my 1/2 acre of asparagus is off limits and I need to leave the fresh U.P. blueberries for Jeff to enjoy....oh boy...

Scott B.

doc henderson

Well, that is good advice.  In theory (not recommending you do this) you could eat it if you ate it every day.  It is a balance between the medication and vit. K.  stick with the plan.  all the anticoagulants are potentially dangerous, like all very potent and effective drugs. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doctorb

upnut- warfarin (Coumadin) has been widely used, vastly studied, and been an effective anticoagulant for many decades. It is used less frequently now as it does require monitoring bloodwork, as opposed to the newer blood thinners, which do not.  It's an interesting trade off.  Coumadin levels (the degree of a patient's coagulation status) can be easily measured, and anticoagulation with Coumadin can be reversed, in an emergency.  The newer anticoagulants cannot be monitored and the anticoagulation cannot be reversed. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

upnut

An alternative to warfarin is the Watchman implant surgery, which sounds even less appealing than taking drugs indefinitely. There are tradeoffs and advantages to everything, weighing options is good.

Scott B.

doctorb

I only know about the Watchman device from a little reading, so I'm a poor source as to its effectiveness, risks, costs, etc.  The only other treatment options are the other anticoagulants like Eliquis, Pradaxa, and Xarelto.  If you were tired of the finger sticks, you might ask your doc about them.  But if the Coumadin is a good steady solution for you, why rock the boat?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doc henderson

I would only do the basket (watchmen) if there is a good reason not to do medications.  we have Kcentra to reverse some, but it is 10k per dose.  If you fall on a daily basis and may get a head bleed or have gi bleeding issues the thinner carry an increased risk.  nearly every highly effective drug has potentially serious side effects.  risks go up as we age.

doc henderson

Ianab

I think like a lot of meds, it's the correct dose that's important. If your blood is prone to clotting, and that happens in a artery to your heart / brain, then you have a heart attack / stroke. Potentially fatal or crippling. 

The low dose of warfarin reduces that risk, at the risk of more bleeding from any injury. But a bad cut can be treated with first aid / pressure bandage etc, and you don't die before you can get to the ER.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

It tends to be older people on it, and they also tend to fall.  they also have a half inch of space around their brain, and it can slosh inside the skull.  so even a small fall with abrupt stop of the skull can move the brain far enough to tear a vein on the opposite side of the brain from where it hit.  called a contrecoup.  this results in a subdural bleed.  we do CTs for anyone over the age of 75 if they hit their head and have even a red mark on it.

Texas Ranger

My doc didn't like my A1C (under 7 where it has been for 25 years) and started talking about a drug that would help, but it does tend to cause dizzy spells that may lead to falling, not good for old folks.  Really?  I'm "old folk" so try something else.  Old folk, sigh.

Sorry, just venting.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

I was on Warfarin (Coumadin) for around 10 or so years, had to go in for a blood test about every 4 to 6 weeks, and since, have been off Coumadin and onto Eliquis (Apixaban 5mg/day) since, and doing fine!

One note to remember is: If your diet changes, most likely they'll change your dosage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

things in the metabolic syndrome like hypertension, blood sugar averaged by HgA1C, and cholesterol kill you in 15 to 30 years barring the extremes.  so, if you are 90, I worry less.

upnut

Thanks for all the replies, I surely do appreciate all the input. Have been getting bloodwork (INR) done every 4-5 days in order to get the proper dosage, plus wearing a heart monitor for 14 days to reveal any afib I don't recognize. I should probably record in the event log book when working up firewood, it's a pretty good workout....

Scott B.

mike_belben

Ask for an insulin resistance test please.  Quest Diagnostics Cardio IQ with insulin resistance score. Test code 36509. 

If you arent 80% insulin resistant or higher i will pay you $50. Thats how bad i want your health to improve. 

No one can be healthy with insulin resistance.  It is the hormone of aging, disease and death. A signaling molecule that every single cell in the human body listens to.  And we can easily lower it. Mine is below 3. We got my wife from 99 to i think 36 in half a year or so.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

you will also die without insulin.  docs test insulin levels with glucose, HgA1C, can do a glucose tolerance test.  I do not know the test code...

Thank You Sponsors!