iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's an acceptable A1C for a 72 year old?

Started by gspren, March 09, 2024, 08:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Yesterday I had my anual checkup at the VA with a new Doc, actually a physicians assistant which I'm ok with. When going over my blood work she first said I had diabeties then said pre diabetic then said don't get too alarmed as a 6.1 A1C isn't all that bad for my age but the VA says anything over 5.8 is diabetic. My dad and brother both are/were diabetic but mom never was. My other private doc has never mentioned any concern.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Onthesauk

VA had me worried 7 years ago when it hit 6.2.  7 years later it is still 6.2 and at 78 my regular doctor doesn't worry about it much.  Eat pretty much anything I want but I still walk almost every morning.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ljohnsaw

I haven't been to my doctor for a number of years. Had a full blood work in January. My A1C came back as 5.8, pre-diabetic.  Never had it checked before. So I read up about it. Wonder if my couple week binge of Halloween candy followed thanksgiving pies and Christmas cookies and candy had any affect?  :uhoh:
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Depends, I guess. 
I have it too.
Maybe at your age your Dr is not to concerned about it. Yes, it's borderline line. but it's not like you are 60 years old either.
I eat three good meals a day and try to keep away from eating a half an apple pie at one time.  :wacky:
It's crazy what they can find out about you from one drop of blood.  :shocked2:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

So, in practice, it is a indicator of your average blood sugar.  It is like having CAT send off your oil to analyze the health of an engine looking at metal particle content.  years ago, we were happy with under 7.  Lower is better but the risk is pushing too low and having episodes of low blood sugar with symptoms like crashing your car.  I had a guy that just wanted to chat at appointments, and his was 19.2 at age 63.  he died 2 years later.  We now have more meds, and some of these do not cause hypoglycemia like metformin.  It is a number that should be taken into account in the management.  many will read an article or have guidelines at their institution to follow.  It is easier to get lower if you understand and follow management recommendations consistently.  Sounds like the disclaimer at the beginning of every "the New Yankee Workshop", by Norm Abrams.  The less you understand as a provider the more you simply follow recommendations.  If you are treating with insulin, it is not very forgiving and a very powerful hormone.  It works well in type 1 DM, and by definition not as well in type 2.  In type 2 your receptors are the problem, and your body makes more and more insulin to try to overcome the failed receptors.  It gets worse with age and weight, and inflammation.  I have had type 2 diabetics in the hospital and their insulin level fasting (should be 1 or so) is 440 (as high as the machine in the lab can read).  Things like hypertension, cholesterol and diabetes kill you over 30 years.  the older you get for obvious reasons, the less difference it will ultimately make.  So, there can be latitude in the happy number.  Some patients are not capable or willing to do better.  there is danger in pushing the treatment further with risk of side effects.  the provider has to know the patient and the test and understand the limits of both.  many providers just look at the number and follow recommendations by some medical person they have never met.  "Seek first to understand"!  That skill is becoming less prevalent like in most professions these days.  I would say you are doing great.  keep it up doing the best you can.  I would be happy if it stays the same and if it gets better that is great.  The side effects are real, so use caution pushing too hard to achieve a number.  not that I have an opinion about the subject. ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!