iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protection from the dust

Started by campy, February 04, 2009, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

I have spent a lot of money on a dustmask that filters up to 3 microns and dust googles that look like  ski goggles.

What do you do to protect your lungs and eyes from dust.

There must be a better and less expensive way to keep this dust out of eyes and lungs?

For a while I hooked up a remote control and a couple of long wires.
But on a windy day the dust seeks me out and finds me.

It is not that I mind blowing my nose and seeing loads of sawdust.  I just know of too many people that have cannot breathe the way they should after years of exposure.

Chuck White

Hi Campy;
Welcome to Forestry Forums.

Dig around on here and you'll find where some of the sawyers have installed a fan in the throat of their bandmills.

Don't know how well they really work, but it wouldn't cost much to find out.

Other than that, may just a conventional paper mask and goggles would work for you!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

campy

A fan in the throat wont work in windy conditions. 
It is like having a campfire and the smoke seems to follow you.

The goggles and papermask are too porous and don't seem to do the job.

Thanks

OneWithWood

I use a 3M respirator (Model 7500 I think) and a decent pair of safety glasses with side protection.  During these past few cold days the respirator has doubled as a face warmer.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pineywoods

This works well for me. I can't tolerate dry cedar sawdust...

The fan is a 12 volt automotive radiator fan mounted on a 1X4 that bolts to the top of the mill head. Blows directly on the back of the sawyers head..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

petefrom bearswamp

I use a respirator and used to use a screen face shield attached to a hardhat when I rode the mill.
With the command control sawdust doesn't seem to be an issue as I am mostly stationary and have a SW prevailing wind. Piney woods has a decent idea there maybe keeping cooler on hot days.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Do you use lube on the blade?  A good water flow wets the sawdust and keeps it from blowing around for me, but I have a manual mill, and that might not be as effective on a big hydraulic mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

campy

I like the idea of the fan blowing on the back of the operators head.
It gets hot here in TN.

Yes, lots of water on the blade does take down a lot of dust.

Many Thanks

bandmiller2

Campy, are you feeding the mill fast enough ,too slow a feed and your make alot of fine dust.By trial and error you can usally locate a fan to keep the dust away or reduce it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the forum Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Dust dosent bother me at all  on bands or circs ;) Lke the other Blokes said its just about finding the rite feed speed and using the rite amount of lube  ;) ;D Wth the feed speed i find that you can tell by either response through the motor sound , resonse thriough the feedworks asto wether the saw is working to its Optimum Abillity on any mill ive operated  ;) ;D ;D
Ive seen plenty of band mills under utelising their potesional bite ;) which is the main cause of of the fine dust  ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironwood

I have not yet done this, but in the spring when I get a roof over the mill, I will be installing a LARGE dust blower and evacuating the dust VERY far far away.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tcsmpsi

Only on the rare occassion when the wind unusually blows in the 'wrong' direction does the dust become a problem.  The mill does a pretty good job of throwing dust away from the operator.  I have installed a couple fans that help when necessary, and certainly help in the cooling process of the operator in the summer.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

ErikC

I guess the swing mill makes less fine dust, but it usually doesn't bother me at all. On dry wood, especially cedar I wear a paper mask sometimes and it helps a lot. I bet being inside it's worse? Maybe that's the only thing better about not having a saw shed ::)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!