iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Engine Upgrade

Started by harmons_ranch, July 02, 2019, 07:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harmons_ranch

I'm running a 10 HP tecumseh engine on my bandsaw mill and have been looking for an engine to upgrade with.  I found this 2 cylinder International diesel (DU-66-D) that was used to power a generator.  

It produces 16 HP at 2000 RPM with 45 ft/lbs of torque at 1200 RPM.  It is larger than I was looking for, but it runs well and should do the job.  My setup is a  two post design, but  I will likely have to go with four posts due to the extra weight.  It is also liquid cooled which is not ideal since the radiator takes up a lot of space.  Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 02, 2019, 07:15:07 PM
What is your lift system ?
I'm using a boat winch, but I have the components to upgrade to acme rod powered by a wheelchair motor.

hamish

Wayyyyy to big for your mill, well over 10X the weight of your Tecumseh
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

sawguy21

X2 By the time you do the conversion you will have been further ahead to use an air cooled
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

That must be old technology, I am not exaggerating when I say it is about the same size as my 55HP Yanmar. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Quebecnewf

That looks like a sweet old motor . Would love to have it to drive one of my old planers .

Way to heavy for a sawmill I'm thinking. Maybe do a trade 

Quebecnewf 

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Quebecnewf on July 03, 2019, 06:08:46 AM
That looks like a sweet old motor . Would love to have it to drive one of my old planers .

Way to heavy for a sawmill I'm thinking. Maybe do a trade

Quebecnewf

It is a nice engine and rune great.  A trade can work; let me know what you have. 

Thank You Sponsors!