iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill engine mod

Started by Chuck White, April 13, 2013, 01:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Got my exhaust system replaced a couple weeks ago.

Sounds pretty good, of course it's a little loud because the mill is inside.

A replacement muffler was just to expensive.

We cut the pipes off about 2-3 inches above the flange and welded a 1-inch pipe coupler onto the pipe, then screwed the muffler into the coupler and installed the flapper!

Front View

Rear View

Close-Up
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Chuck
Curious about the horizontal "wall" covering in the background. What might it be?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Been there;  Thanks for the question!

That wall covering in the background is a 1x4x8 board from each species of wood that I have sawed with my mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mark K

I did a similar mod to mine. Mine has the Onan 18 on it. I used two 90 degree pipe fittings and pointed my mufflers away from me. I used a little bit bigger mufflers that they use on a lawn mower. Had to build a small bracket on the back of the motor to support them. Yours looks alot simpler. Sure beats the price of the OEM one!
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Chuck White

Thanks Mark!

I can also just unscrew the mufflers and put in a close nipple then a 45° elbow pointing to the rear, eliminating any more welding!  ;)

For now, I think it just looks cool! ;D

A direct replacement for the Onan lists for $297.00!

hamish

Chuck,

You may want to add a larger exhaust, it will help lower engine temps and noise levels.  Those little cans are restrictive and loud.  An automotive muffler will make a huge difference, and I wont be hearing your mill up here in Canada!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

dgdrls

I suspected you were starting to "stir" from your "North Country" slumber.  Was up there for work on a day trip last week
Ice is out on the larger ponds and lakes , time to get cracking!! :D

Best DGDrls

bandmiller2

I make all my tractor and small engine mufflers.When I had the two cylinder Wisconsin on the band mill it was a little loud, welded up a resonater to put after the muffler.If you can get scraps of truck exhaust pipe and can gas weld your golden.The basic principal is pipe from engine with holes drilled into a larger shell pipe out with holes and ends of shell welded.If a muffler is heavy support it so it won't damage the manifold.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Good job Chuck,loud engine noise is tiring after running a wile.Hard surfaces in a mill building also reflect noise.Even something as simple as hanging an old rug on the wall can reduce the decibles. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

Vibration was always an issue with my old onan mufflers.I finally fabricated a 4 in single piece of tubing with 2  baffles inside.One was a 3/4 baffle and the other was 4 in diameter but had 3/8's holes .It came from a old feed mill screen.I was quiet surprised how quiet it was.
al glenn

sealark37

I found a pair of Suzuki motorcycle mufflers (almost new) at the country dump,er, recycling center.  I plumbed one up to my engine and it made it MUCH more pleasant to work around.   Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!