iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson 8"WPF with electric winch Accuracy

Started by troutcreekman, August 01, 2008, 09:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutcreekman

I just finished cutting about 4500 lin ft. of 3/4" cedar siding (no Bevel) and I seemed to get pretty accurate dimensions when using the horizontal adjustment, but when using the winch for the vertical adjustment it was less accurate. Could someone give me some tips for better dimensional accuracy in general for the peterson it would be much appreciated. Thanks David M.

brdmkr

I can see that you marked out the comment, but I think it is a good point.  I have the same issue with my Lucas.  I have never worried about it, because it is only 1/16" or less variation between boards.  I think it is because the gears do not have as much fine adjustment as the horizontal movement.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

JimBuis

How much of an accuracy problem are you having in vertical? There are a number of adjustments that can be made. Have you owned your mill since new or did you purchase it used? Is your problem a new development or have you always had this?

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

troutcreekman

I bought the mill used but it only had about 40 hours on it. It has had the problem since I have had it. I must admit I haven't tried adjusting it yet. It can be up to an 1/8" off easy.

Captain

The biggest repetitive accuracy problem is when the sprocket on he back of the dial is not tight against the chain.  The sprocket needs to be pressed into the chain so the chain can not slip.  I actually welded my dial mount to the frame so it would not pivot any longer.  If the sprocket position relative to the chain moves OR if the sprocket is not properly engaged in the chain, accuracy will be lost.  Also, does the dial move too freely?  It should have enough "drag" on it to prevent unwanted movement when making your vertical adjustment.

Other than that, it is a matter of getting used to the position of the kerf reset for your blade thickness.  The kerf allowance is a little heavy for an 8" blade.  It is pretty well setup for a 10" blade.
On my mill, if the scale is used correctly, I am about 3/32 fat.  I compensate with the position of my kerf reset mentally.  You could use an xacto knife and score your kerf zero location appropriately for a better visual.

Best of luck,

Captain

Meadows Miller

Gday David

Are You going down past the size and bringing the head back up to the size ? as I found this was the trick with the Lucas and the WM I used to run .

thanks Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

Quote from: brdmkr on August 01, 2008, 09:34:47 PM
I can see that you marked out the comment, but I think it is a good point.  I have the same issue with my Lucas.  I have never worried about it, because it is only 1/16" or less variation between boards.  I think it is because the gears do not have as much fine adjustment as the horizontal movement.

Gday Brdmkr

are you putting weight on the end of the track without the sawhead on it bcause it can change when You get the head down the far end .

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

brdmkr

Quote from: Meadows Miller on August 02, 2008, 11:09:46 AM
Quote from: brdmkr on August 01, 2008, 09:34:47 PM

Gday Brdmkr

are you putting weight on the end of the track without the sawhead on it bcause it can change when You get the head down the far end .

Chris

I generally drop below the desired depth and then raise up to meet where I want to be.  I also put some weight on the track.  I have never really considered it to be that big of a problem.  Maybe a 1/16" variation board to board at most.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

hansbaba

I also have a 8" wpf electric winch. As has been mentioned there are a number of things that could cause this. Adjustments, sprocket (dial )issues and more. One thing that puzzled me for a while is if I finished a board and then idled down, changed my vertical sizing while watching it and then looked away, and then brought the motor back up to speed,  the cut would often be an 1/8 or so off. Now I check where the dial is after bringing it back up to speed. I am in the habit now of carrying a tape measure with me now. I find if you do not check (periodically at least) boards will get a little odd sized. I usually just check the first piece I cut (bark etc) when lowering the mill and then adjust accordingly. It takes a couple seconds, but I'll cut 300 boards and all will be within a 1/16.
hans.

Thank You Sponsors!