iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules winch gushing earl

Started by Ruggedridge, January 24, 2016, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruggedridge

Howdy folks, im the proud new owner of an early 60's tj 225 with a hercules winch that gushes hydraulic oil when its cold and trickles when its warmed up.  Right now shes working like a champ, the ground is frozen, and i dont mind topping her off every morning, but when i get the chance in the off season id like to diagnose and remedy this problem.  Looking for some accumulated wisdom on this topic before i get in over my head.  Stupid questions: is this most likely just peripheral o rings that could be relatively  easily replaced without pulling the winch off?   Am i in need of a total rebuild?  Should i consult a professional?  I dont mind turning wrenched but i do wind up learning most things the hard way...

Ruggedridge

By the way, the oil seems to be coming from some bushings/round plates on the drum assembly on starboard side of the winch.

jocco

Seal that activates  the clutch unit.
You may check out but you will never leave

David-L

I just did my piston seals. They say it can be done by jacking the piston side of the winch up but I think that taking the winch to a warm shop is a better set up. not a bad job. loosen the legs on both sides though as it will make the job easier. bush mechanic advise and it was good advice. There is some post on this if you search. good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Neilo

It sounds like the clutch cylinder is leaking. These are two seals inside the two piece cylinder and piston.

You can take the right side mounting leg and piston off with the winch on the machine.

Search the forum for other Hercules winch topics. We have discussed it a few times.

Neilo

David-L

Neilo, I mentioned Bushmechanic and forgot to get your name in as i had a mind blip. thanks for all the past advise on jacks, it's always well taken. Jack owners are in good hands on this forum, you to Ontario Al.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!