iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tongs For Log Skidding

Started by plaindriver, September 27, 2012, 12:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Im a neophyte. Just retired to the Cumberland Plateau region of Tn, leaving Kalivornia far behind.
Got a place on 5 ac, mostly timber, all hardwoods. I already had a small John Deere 750 tractor. Have a bucket and a boom in back. Looking for advice on tongs to drag logs around. Probably nothing bigger than 20-24" dia.
Need advice re brands, size, and especially where to buy. Not in any super rush, an internet order is fine.

thanks in advance
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Jeff

I'd be sure to stear clear of anything from the bulk tool catalog places, as most of that stuff are knockoffs. I'd recommend Dixie. Logrite Tools get their tongs from Dixie for the arches so I could not have a better reference than that. Id also recommend you purchase the dixie tongs from Baileys, that way you know that you are getting the real deal.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Per usual, good advice from Jeff.

And I use the tongs to lift the logs, and if moving them far I toss a chain around them for insurance as the tongs can let loose if the log gets to rolling. They are great for getting the log off the ground to get the chain around.

Enjoy the TN life. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Another remark on tongs.  Lifting tongs are different from skidding tongs. Lifting tongs are metallurgicaly different than skidding tongs. They are proof tested and certified for overhead lifting and more expensive.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

Quote from: Jeff on September 27, 2012, 01:49:04 PM
Another remark on tongs.  Lifting tongs are different from skidding tongs. Lifting tongs are metallurgicaly different than skidding tongs. They are proof tested and certified for overhead lifting and more expensive.
I would just add a strong AMEN to that statement.  Lifting tongs are a different animal, though they operate and look similar, as with any rigging used and CERTIFIED for lifting overhead loads.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

I meant lifting one end of the log. And mine are likely skidding tongs, about 60 years old.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

You need a swivel too on the tongs,if there is not one on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

levans

Plaindriver,
Where are you on the Cumberland Plateau, I'm in Jamestown.

Never Mind, I see where you are.

Slab Slicer

Got a good deal from these folks.  http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/farm/Dixie-Skidding-Tongs.htm   I picked up the 24" swivel type. Can't go wrong with Dixie's.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

plaindriver

I am a total neophyte to this, but I will try to add pics to this story. I very recently retired and moved from Kalifornia to the Cumberland Plateau region of Tn. (Crossville) Bought a log on a 5 ac parcel, mostly uncut,untamed hardwoods. Some Maples are/were growing too close to house, made it too dark, dropped lots of twigs/branches/leaves and were growing/leaning the wrong way. So, I decided to cut em down. Getting them down wasnt too diff. But there is sure a lot of stuff at the tops to dispo. I have a 14HP Earthquake chipper/shredder and it is an MVP for the process. Rather than cut up all the trunks, I am trying to save the straight stuff for when I pull the trigger on a small mill. So, after I reduce the trunks to 10-12' sections, I need to move them. Havent bought tongs yet, but I do have a boom on the back of my tractor, so I was gonna drag them with a chain. In the process, I accidentally learned a better way to transport them. With this method, I am able to load them into my flatbed truck, which I then park in the barn so they can start to dry out. (We have no animals).

Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Woodhauler

Looking at some of the contraptions you guys come up with , i wonder why your still alive! ::)
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Slab Slicer

I see what you mean Woodhauler. That log does have a chance to slip between the bars on that rig, and put a hurtin' on the tractor operator.   OUCH!!!
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

clww

Or that weight so high in the back picking the front of the tractor up on a bump or hill. Just an observation.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Slab Slicer

Hope there is sufficient counterweight in the loader bucket. I built my own rig for the back of my little kubota BX1500. I can skid the logs, or pick them up in the center with tongs. The log is only a few inches off the ground though. No wheelies for me. The 3 point can lift twice as much if not more, than the loader, so it was needed. I know the BX1500 isn't exactly a heavy duty tractor, but for now, it's doing the job. If not, the neighbor is willing to trade lumber for the use of his big ole Dynahoe ;D
Chuck

thenorthman

just a word of advice... Its by far safer to just lift the one end of the log if you plan on skidding it.  logs get heavy and do some strange things when they are only supported on one end.  So for skidding its just better business to lift the end close to the tractor a foot or so and leave the other on the ground, if you need to load that log onto say a trailer etc, then turn it perpendicular to the tractor that way the log can't slip out and take your noggin off,  a guy can move allot of wood just by getting the weight off of one end...
well that didn't work

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

good log tongs are much like good cooking tongs,  most all of them work, just not like you like. You might look at some farm sales where there has been a trac of timber in the family and they did some logging, the old ones are proven, not saying the new ones arent'  Most farm stores sell them and have not seen one yet that wont drag a log. Lifting can be a different story, but most, if they drag, can lift, I just don't make a habit of getting under anything in the air, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!