iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any good books ?

Started by burtle, March 16, 2019, 09:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burtle

I'm looking for tree book(s) that have every tree in it. I'd like one that shows the tree/bark etc...and one that discusses the type of wood and what it could be used for.

I know the book is out there! Someone has to know the name of it
Never Give Up

Texas Ranger

Name of them, no one book I know of can cover them all.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

burtle

Can you names the one(s) close to what I'm looking for ?

Thanks
Never Give Up

Ianab

Start with one for your area.

I have set of 3 good reference books here on NZ trees. One is Natives, 2nd is introduced softwoods, and introduced hardwoods. But they would be useless to you, as there are only a handful of trees from your area in the "Introduced" book. 

But there is bound to be a book called "Common Trees of Illinois" or similar, that will get you 99% of your species. Once you ID what it is, then there is a good web page called https://www.wood-database.com/ that has entries for pretty much every common wood in the world. It's properties and common uses. 

Because I'm often sawing unusual and imported species I use that page a lot.  Today we were cutting Tasmanian Blackwood. You can read all about it here. 
https://www.wood-database.com/australian-blackwood/
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I have a book that I got from the state of Maine forestry dept. Has all the trees in Maine. That would be a good book to have,if IL has something like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

all of my dendrology books are 50 plus years old, but, your state forestry school  text books should be on line, or at the college book store.  The trees have not changed, but the publishing has improved.  The USDA has numerous books on trees.  https://www.depauw.edu/files/resources/trees_at_the_Nature_Park.pdf,  etc.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

burtle

I'm looking for a book with all of this information that's on this website

Forest:Tree Guide

Thanks for all the information guys. I did order one book already. I'm going to email a few places but what I'm looking for is what this link explains. It has each tree and has all the details about it and what the lumber is usually used for etc...

Thanks again everyone
Never Give Up

lxskllr

You could download the website, and make your own book. A page at a time wouldn't be /too/ bad, but you could automate it with something like wget.

WV Sawmiller

I'll echo Texas Rangers suggestions. Visit any large college town where they have a good forestry program and there should be a good selection of such books. I still have my plant keys from Systematic Botany classes at AU from 45 years ago and they still work fine. I have bought other field guides and such with better pictures and more details. Check the used book stores in the area of the college and you may even find one at a good discount.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

If you are really into a subject you may need to collect books [written many years apart] about it. Many years ago, before our time, people where interested in what the tree was good for; like edible fruit, roots, lumber, etc. To day the focus is beauty. Books written 100 years apart will give different information about the same tree.  Identifying by the bark alone takes time to learn because of the age of the tree, not the size and I don't think you can learn this in a book.

burtle

Never Give Up

erin

Depending on where you live I'd recommend Native Trees Of Canada and Canadian Woods.

lxskllr

Quote from: thecfarm on March 17, 2019, 09:07:51 AM
I have a book that I got from the state of Maine forestry dept. Has all the trees in Maine. That would be a good book to have,if IL has something like that.
Found the book doing an unrelated search...
Forest Trees of Maine: Handbooks & Guides: Publications: Division of Forestry: Maine ACF
PDF download link is on the right(~90mb)
Looks like a very good book for those on the east coast; probably mid Atlantic and north. There'll be a lot of common trees, even if not all are applicable.

nativewolf

If you could find a more topical example of copy of Vascular Flora of the Carolinas you'd have a definitive biologist guide but that is overkill to many.  
Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

Look for a book called Knowing Your Trees by Collingwood and Brush.  I've used mine for 30 years.  I believe it has every native North American tree and some introduced.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!