iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

castiron

Started by coxy, December 12, 2017, 08:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon I bought her a 17" lodge skillet. It lives on the stove, she loves it as she can cook all the steaks or pork chops for dinner at the same time. Or potatoes on one side and steaks on the other.

Al_Smith

The problem with a big skillet ,16" 17" or even a 12" on an electric stove is you normally don't have a burner large enough .Gas is a little different and not only is more adjustable but also responds faster .I really wish I had gas .Then again great great grandmother somehow managed with a wood fired cook stove .

coalsmok

We have propane and sometimes use two burners under our big one.

petefrom bearswamp

Just re read this thread. regarding Revere ware, we had it when we were first hitched, but it has disapeared over the years as wifey is now on her at least 5th set of cookware.
The biggest boondoggle is the Le cruset enameled cast iron.
It hangs on the pot holder I made years ago and looks pretty.

The LeCrusert is on the left,  the latest high priced crap on the right
I do use the Lecruyset to boil water sometimes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TACOMATODD

I just recently got through sanding to smooth the REALLY rough spots in a few of my cast iron PCs of cookware. They are great for our outdoor activities. The wife seems to like to cook in them, but I have the hardest time getting her to take care of them, so it falls back to me if it needs to be done right. Good thing I season them proper, or the whole shabang would be much more difficult. But everyone loves the way the food turns out, no matter who cooks in it.
Trying harder everyday

SupFellers

I made some nummy bourbon brownies from scratch with a homemade caramel sauce the other day. Cast iron is awesome for baking -- especially when it's well seasoned! 

Cold and rainy is the best baking weather  :-*

Thank you Lord, for Your blessings on me.

WDH

Looks like one is missing :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SupFellers

Quote from: WDH on February 21, 2019, 08:43:00 PM
Looks like one is missing :D.
I needed one for the pretty caramel drizzle pic!  ;D
Thank you Lord, for Your blessings on me.

Chuck White

Looks really good!

I like cooking with castiron!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

The other day I was in an antique/junque shop and picked up this cast iron pot for $6.

With a little work using the wire wheel on an angle grinder and some seasoning it came out very nice. I gave it to a friend for her birthday. She had been asking me to keep my eye out for one.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have no idea how old this pot is, it has no markings on it.
Notice in the 2nd pic how the wire kicks out at the handle to keep it upright, I think that's a neat touch.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

$6!! :o  I would of bought 2 for that price.  :D
Yes,I like the handle idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

I have a Dutch oven like that, handle and all, but mine has a glass lid!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pgk1

Quote from: DanG on December 14, 2017, 09:41:11 AM
I'm a member of "Cast Iron Cooking" on Facebook. The group has over 270,000 members and has all kinds of info on whipping your cast iron into shape.  For seasoning, they recommend coating lightly with lard or shortening and placing upside down in the oven at 450-500 for a couple of hours. The trick is to get the temp up to the "smoke point" and hold it there until all of the volatiles are burned out of the coating. You can also use your grill if you don't want to smoke up your house.

+1 I run two heat cycle this way, light coating of oil in between. Once I turn the oven off I leave the pans inside the oven until it cools down to room temp. pans work better than a brand new teflon pan when done this way.
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

olcowhand

PGK1, Where'd you find an MS 462CM?
I travel quite a bit around our Great (Lakes) State; been checking various Stihl Dealers, but haven't found one yet....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

pgk1

I didn't realize they were hard to find, I just went to my local dealer and he ordered one, had it a couple of days later. I'm new to this site, is allowed for me to post the name of the dealer where I purchased? Nice saw by the way, I have been using my 28 year old PM605 which still runs great, low end/ midrange powerband, I was in for quite a pleasant surprise the first time I used this 462, total different power delivery. It loves to rev. :) 

Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

pgk1

Hey Olcowhand,
I just noticed your in Manton, I was just up there a couple of weekends ago, picked up a Jeep hood from someone in your neck of the woods on my way up to our cabin in Kalkaska.

Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

olcowhand

Thanks Pete,
I'm actually trying to look at and heft one, no "mail order" brides for me....
All the Dealers I've checked have offered to order one for me, but I want to see it first. Frankly, if they're not willing to stock one, I'm not sure I want to go in there anymore....
Steve

pgk1

I hear ya, my dealer still had to order mine because he still had 461's in stock, next time I'm up at our cabin I could let you know. Your more than welcome to try it out.  ;) We have a place on BLue lake so were probably a hour drive from you if memory serves. I stopped by Mcleans in Grayling this past Sunday to pickup a few files and they were in the same boat as my local dealer, 461's still in stock.
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

Chuck White

What's Stihl chainsaws got to do with "castiron"?  :-\

thecfarm

All thread go to chainsaws. :D  :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

.......So Pete, like I was saying over in the Chainsaws thread (before they made us come to this thread.....): My wife got me this new Lodge Cast Iron skillet for our Anniversary, and I was reading your post about seasoning, then BAM! I see you have a new MS462CM! Well, anyway- thanks for your post.
This summer sometime, I'll come visit and we can try out that Stihl, I mean we can compare Cast Iron recipes.
Happy, Guys?
Steve

pgk1

LOL any time Ole hand, and sorry guys for hijacking this thread, now back to cast iron.
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

lxskllr

Quote from: olcowhand on March 28, 2019, 04:01:42 AM
 I mean we can compare Cast Iron recipes.
Happy, Guys?
Steve
I like to melt down pig iron, add some old saw chains and files, a pinch of sand, and then pour it into a sand mold.
:^P

Chuck White

N O W , I understand how the chainsaw discussion ended up here!    :-[

Thank You Sponsors!