iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV's

Started by Jeff, April 12, 2007, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Great catch!
I've been looking myself for one. You done good!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Stump Jumper

thanks jeff nice ride & 100lbs lighter than my polaris 500  8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Nailhead

;) smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_big-grin2
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Jeff

Nailhead is my "connection"  :D :)

Thanks again Pat.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Well,  um, AH HUMMM.. :-[

I got stopped by Mr. State policeman on my new quad yesterday. yikes_smiley bike_rider   move_it smiley_hardhat smiley_contract_point no_no smiley_smug01

SAW MILLER

Did he give you a ticket ???
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Nope. No ticket. :)

I came out of the woods and was going down the road hauling some birch firewood. I was hotter then all get out so I decided not to put my helmet on. I picked the only time in a week that he came down North Caribou that I know of. :D

He came up slow behind me and I slowed to a stop.  He says "You got a helmet in that box?"  I said, "Yep, I sure do".  He says, "Well, I know its hot, but since I saw ya, ya better put it on". :D

I says, "Yes sir, I'll do that!"  He saluted me and drove on down the road. :D

Mooseherder

Wonder if you would get a ticket for pulling this? :D

Engineer

Anybody had experience with a Yamaha Timberwolf 250? I am going to look at one, a 1994 vintage, on Sunday.  It's a 4x4 with only 100 hours.  I don't have any experience with ATV's, don't know what to look for.  It's gonna be used for work, not play.

Onthesauk

Might go look at the forums on ATV Connection.com        Lot of kids on there but have forums for most brand names and you can search by model.  My first thought is that for work, 250 isn't really big enough unless it's just getting you from here to there.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DWM II

Hey there Engineer, I had the same bike your looking at, a '94 4x4 timberwolf. I used mine for hunting and had good luck with it for that. It would follow the Honda 300's and the like but it was lacking a little on power in comparison. I would always be in a gear lower it seemed and the top end wouldnt keep up with them as well. I'm sorry to get posted so late, I see your looking at it today.
Stewardship Counts!

Engineer

Thanks for the feedback.  I looked at it, it was nice but not nice enough.  I passed.

I'm gonna look for something 2-3 years old and in the 500+ class.  Also maybe a Gator.

DWM II

Good, that would have been my recomendation as a work machine. It was low on power work wise.
Good luck on Gator , I have no experience with them.
Stewardship Counts!

Ironwood

Engineer,

Two notes on HPX's. In 2005 they had a smaller diesel and no locking FRONT differential. If you can find a 2006 or newer it will have a LOCKING front diff. You can tell because there is a electric switch on the dash for it. The newer diesel is about 80cc bigger, like 845 vs. 780 (or something). The mech at my dealer REALLY liked the older one and said the "jury was still out on the new one". Both are dependable Yanmar's but he said the bigger one is so new that there isn't much data out there oin them. Stay away from the carborated 620cc Kawasaki gasser HPX. They/ I had a ton of trouble getting them to behave properly, mine was pumping gas into the crankcase and it had ALL of the updates on it. They have since fuel injected them. 8!@#%^&* should have taken mine back to thte factory, everything else was OUTSTANDING. Just the engine sucked. GO DIESEL!! I have since upgraded to a 2005 diesel HPX. IT was such an improvement, no sneezing or cold start issues. Even my thrifty wife said it was a smart move (that's alot coming from her). If you are hauling HEAVY avoid the new UTV Gator as the rear independent suspension while smoother riding, and more ground clearance, it is more "MUSHY" on off angles with a heavy, high load. I got alomst the same ground clearence with a tire/ rim upgrade to 12" rims and INCREDIBLE Goodyear Runflat tires. I know everyone has an opinion but for my business use and small farm utitlity I CANNOT beat this thing.

Reid

Did I say heavy high load?
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

You can ride a ATV down,beside the road in MI? Did not know that a helmet is the law too.Might be the law here too,but I see many with no helmet.ATV are allowed beside the roads here,but only in certain cases that has been OK'ed by the state.Like to go from one trail to another.There is one place that I know of they can cross a bridge,but they have to use the sidewalk.This is a old railroad right of way.The tracks are torn up.Not many trails around now to ride on.Now all ATV riders have to get written premission from every land owner to ride on thier land.They do go up and down the dirt road here to get to the paper company land.Not alot,a group every week or two.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

You can ride the ATV beside the road in the U.P., but not along state roads. The Lower peninsula it is not allowed, yet. Only on designated ORV trails or on private property. As far as I know, helmets are even required on private land, but I dont think they enforce that.

sawguy21

Enforcing helmet laws on private land would be difficult at best but liability might be an issue if anyone other than immediate family gets hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

Maine doesn't enforce Helmet laws except for under 16 years old I believe.
There is a law on the books that releases Land Owners from liability and Lawsuits  for allowing Trail riding or the trail through their property if the ATV'er gets hurt.  I think they increased being able to ride on the right side of the road to 500 yards from last years 300 yards to get to a trail. As long as you are on the Club Trail you do not have to ask the landowner for permission, they have already givin it to the club. Of course, there are always a select few who could ruin it for everyone else.

Jeff

I hate the helmet bit. You cant see jack with it on.

isawlogs

Ya could get a small beany cover , ya dont need to have a full face helmet for it to be legal  ::)   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

I prefer to ride without also except on the cold days when a Full face helmet makes riding possible. ;)

Jeff

Ya mean when it gets way down in the 60's?

Mooseherder

Yep, That would be cold fer me. :D

Thank You Sponsors!