iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

If your experience ends up like mine, after gifts and custom projects, your friends, family and neighbors will start calling you with every tree that has to come down in the county that comes down.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

WDH identified it in Latin.  It is a White Pine.  Sorry, I have been outside until now burning some nonconforming Longleaf pine along with some other stuff (confederate jasmine and live oak branches).  Tomorrow's tree should be familiar to a lot of you also.  It will be dioecious.  Another white one.
Caveman

Don P

I was just checking in and saw my front yard was tree of the day. When caveman said the only one around him turned up dead I sent some pics, this is one tree I have a lot of. In the trunk pic you can see I limbed the first log of these around 8 years ago but probably a little too late to do any good, it really takes 20-40 years of growth after limbing to create enough clear wood to make it worthwhile.

The Kings Broad Arrow was the mark on any tree over 24" dbh claimed by the crown for ships masts. A patriots house contained planks over 2' wide just to thumb their nose at the king.

That whorl of knots every 18"-3' is an easy way to approximately age a tree, it shoots up and produces a new set of branches each year about this time. That wagon wheel of branches also can make EWP a less than ideal boxed heart timber, every couple of feet there is a cluster of knots potentially across the entire section, it warrants good grading. It is also a very stable easily worked wood, one of my favorites.

caveman

Thank you, DonP.
Today's tree is a little smaller.  It is dioecious and is a hardwood.  If you listen carefully you may hear it say "I likes to poke ya".

I do not have any pictures of the tree.  I have a couple growing in pots here and one I planted last summer but it is only about 2' tall.

Caveman

btulloh

A lot of those around here.  What's the range?  That should be easy for most of us in the SE at least.  I have several different cultivars of that around the house also.  They haven't had they're their spring pruning yet, and it's getting hard to see out the windows.
HM126

Southside

They REALLY like the lumber from this tree in southern California, made a big sign to "celebrity" it.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

The flowers smell good. I have them all over my yard in various sizes. There's a local woodland park. One of the trail heads goes into a grove of tall straight specimens. Looks fantastic in the snow. There's another park that's on the site of an old farm. Some of it's been cleared, with an easy walking path to a lighthouse. There's more rugged trails that let you explore further. Go off those trails, and through the briars, vines, and ravines, there's areas few people go(Best!). Back there, there's a solitary tree in the middle of nicely spaced oaks, poplars, and beech that's the only green thing around in winter. Some old farm equipment, a stove, and some fallen trees that seem to add seating for viewing the tree. It's almost magical when you walk up on it. I've taken a couple pictures, but it just doesn't capture the feeling of seeing it in person. Love that spot  :^)

firefighter ontheside

Didn't you say it would be "white".
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

Whitest wood on earth.
HM126

caveman

As Btulloh wrote, the wood is white, which is what I was hinting at.  Maybe someone will post some wood pictures or something made from the wood.
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=51
American Holly (Ilex opaca)
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I gotcha.  I've never seen the wood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Okay, several easy trees of the day in a row.  This one may be a little more challenging.  The leaf is usually 3-5" long, the leaf forms a vee shape at the midrib and the midrib is very pronounced and relatively sharp.  The tree does not tolerate cold well.

The leaf petiole is also an identifying feature.
Caveman

caveman

Y'all need another clue?

This tree is native to North America and Asia but is seen as an invasive in Australia.  The leaves and seeds have been used for medicinal purposes although the seeds are poisonous. The fruit is edible but evidently is not very good.  When grafting more palatable fruit bearing trees of this genus, this tree is often used as the root stock.  It gets to be about 60' tall when mature and lives a long time.  
Caveman

Texas Ranger

picking them and putting them in a basket.  Er, pocket.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

btulloh

HM126

Texas Ranger

Quote from: caveman on June 16, 2019, 11:44:11 AM
As Btulloh wrote, the wood is white, which is what I was hinting at.  Maybe someone will post some wood pictures or something made from the wood.
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=51
American Holly (Ilex opaca)

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodpecker52

That tree reminds me my dog needs to go to the vet to check his PAWs and what I use to call my granddaddy PAW PAW.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

btulloh

There are a few people around here that make pies out those, but I've never tried any.  I think there's a lot of sugar involved.  With enough sugar, I guess you could make pies out of sawdust.  Sawdust pie is high in fiber, so it would be good for you.
HM126

doc henderson

at least your toots will have that fresh clean pine smell! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

Thank you, Texas Ranger, for the holly wood picture.

Today's tree was Pond Apple (Annona glabra).  I did take a few minutes today on the way home from work to go take a few pictures of a few more trees and leaves. Most are native.  I left my list of what has already been posted on my desk at work.  The leaf petioles on Pond Apple look similar to an apple stem and the fruit somewhat resembles an apple.
Caveman

caveman

That ought to be enough for a lot of you to get today's tree of the day.
Caveman

Magicman

Yup, any more would have been too much.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Agreed, it would have been sick to give a more clues.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Some will need a few More clues.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I think I was in DC when I saw that tree. I asked a women dressed up like a park ranger what kind of tree that was. She did not know!! :o   Made me sick to think she did not know more about trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!