iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling on Superbowl Sunday

Started by JohnSR, February 04, 2013, 08:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSR

Furu is thinking about buying a mill and is looking at the different manufactures. Invited him over to try out the WM LT28. Sunday he showed up and we had a milling party. Talked him through setting up the mill and warning about paying attention to how high the dogs are in reference to blade cut. Had him do a dry run to get a feel of the power feed. Turned him loose on a 14 inch dia Hemlock log and stood back and watched the sawdust fly.

He wanted 1"x5"x8. It was interesting watching him figure out the cuts to get maximum out of the log. He took to milling like a duck out of the water. I worked as the second man, unloading the slabs and lumber. We loaded all the lumber he cut on his trailer as I had no need for it.

After milling a couple logs, showed him the Cook's CatClaw sharpener and dual setter setup. Had an old blade that don't use anymore so put it on the sharpener and demonstrated how easy it was the sharpen blades.

One thing that did go wrong was the electric winch I mounted last week. The cable was one size to large for the pulleys. And the log turner would get stuck in the up position and had to be manually lowered. Went to HD and picked up the right size cable. Now the turner is working the way it should,

Overall it was an enjoyable Sunday even if S.F. lost the Super Bowl. It was nice being able to stand back and watch the LT28 work. Had a Cook's blade on the machine and it went through the Hemlock like it was butter. Hope Furu enjoyed it as much as I did

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey John....sounds like a couple of our sponsors need to send you a check.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

That's about what I did yesterday also. Took the Bassett for a walk through one of my pastures, grabbed a couple logs on the way home and played with the mill until dark. I wasn't trying to accomplish anything other than just putting some time in getting a better feel for the thing. Nice relaxing day!

dgdrls

JohnSR,  nice of you to give an opportunity ;)

best
DGDrls

Leigh Family Farm

Nice! Always good to see the fine folks on the Forum showing others how to saw.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Furu

JohnSR invited me to come over to see his mill in operation as he described.  It was an opportunity I could not pass up.  I have been looking at which of the mills I want to get (Woodmizer, Cook's, Timberking) and this was a fantastic opportunity.  JohnSR is a very gracious individual and he has a very nice setup for milling.   I was very interested in seeing his Woodmizer LT28 millas well as his Cats claw sharpener and dual tooth setter.

As everyone knows Woodmizer makes a great product and John demonstrated and showed me his machine as a fantastic unpaid sales rep for Woodmizer!!

(Hey Woodmizer maybe you could send him a hat or something for the fantastic sales job he did representing your company)

I had seen the Woodmizer Rep demo a LT35HD at a small logging show a while back and got to do a single pass cut but having John run me through the paces was a golden opportunity that I am very thankful for getting.  He showed me how to install the band blade and then removed it and had me do the same before we even started.  We went over all the functions of the mill.  His electric winch modification was fantastic and with the smaller cable will make his workload much lower while utilizing the full capability. 

To say that the morning was fun would be an understatement.  Not only was it educationally fantastic, it was just plain fun.  It is very easy to see how folks get sawdust in their blood.   On top of all that John said he did not need the Hemlock so I have some very nice lumber stickered and drying to boot.

A very gracious host and a nice guy to boot.  Thanks JohnSR!

Thank You Sponsors!