iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stupid moves and lots of pain

Started by scully, March 18, 2013, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

I had 5 24' 25' hemlock logs that I have realy wanted to get milled , I have to drag them around with my truck because thats all I have ,so I needed to role 1 over my cable choker and I figured I could so I get my cant hook set with the end of the handle against my chest left side of my sternum . And with a big heave ho useing my legs I hear a pop ! Well it hurt for 3 days and I milled all my logs no biggie untill yesterday morning . I reached for my coffee and something let go ! Ouch ! 6 hours down at urgent care and they say yup you broke the cartalage that attaches your third rib to your sternum ! I am just a tad upset with myself for being so dumb ! I have some new side work I desperately needed and now I have to hold off ! I am hopeing in a couple days or so I can atleast get started and not get into anything to strenuious I am not even ready to give up yet ! It only hurts when I move or breath etc. And sneezing sucks ! This stuff never happened to me when I was younger .... Now would be a good time to have a tail man.
I bleed orange  .

thecfarm

Quote from: scully on March 18, 2013, 11:23:11 AM
It only hurts when I move or breath etc.

So it hurts all the time.  :( That is too bad. I do alot of things too,but now I try to take the extra 2 minutes to do it with the tractor. I hate to get on and off the tractor,I'm just to lazy to do that, ::) but than I don't want something like what you are going through either.But if you don't have the equipment to do with,than you do without it.
By the way,24-25 foot hemlock,what's the plan for them?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

That does sound painful!  Stay away from anyone funny!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Dislocated a rib by coughing, hurt like the dickens, doc said it would pop back on its on, take deep breaths, and cough.  A week later it popped back in, hurl like the dickens.  Ribs will do that to ya.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

Those ribs for small bones sure can make a man put out a tear or two, like Jeff said, keep the funny guys away, I had my nephews that would pore it out,  :-\   They must of put my rehad from broke ribs back a week from all the laughing they got me to do...  ::) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dgdrls

Scully,

Sorry you "popped a rib"  I know those hurt,  I have suffered a rib injury in the past also

I see your a CNY cat, where you located, I suspect your within a county or two?

DGDrls

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Scully,

:'( :-\ I feel your pain... literally.  I am so sorry, don't feel to bad about it, at our age it happens.  Hope you feel better soon.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

macpower

Ribs sure can hurt, but I'll swap you young fellas a bucket of arthritis for bent rib any day.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Kcwoodbutcher

Had a horse do that to me. Breathing hurts but laughing is unbearable. I don't think a couple of days is going to help, mine took about three weeks.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

LeeB

I was afraid to open this and now my fears are realized. We're not very distant in age and I keep on trying to do the same crap I did as a younger man. I find myself bruised and beat up.I really feel for you with the ribs. Give it time to heal. pressing on will only put you further behind.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SPIKER

I was always told that the RIB is the biggest pain in the butt and that is why god made woman out of one!  lol  woops I hope mine dont see that hahaha :D

Sorry about your pain as it does sure hurt a lot.   If ya ever seen the show Moonshiners in the first season Tickle was up on a shed roof and went to hop down onto the edge of the bed of the truck & fell onto it on his ribs.   I tried that ONCE but not as bad & YEP for weeks I was good for about 1/3 of a lung full of air...
:-\

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

I recall it took more like three months.  ::)

Hope you heal quicker than I did at 14 yrs old.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

I separated 3 ribs snowboarding 13 years ago. It hurt to laugh, sneeze, take a deep breath or cough. Took about 6 weeks to heal....

Bruised a rib Friday while turning a slab with the cant hook putting it back on the mill, past the worst part of that now.
Rib injuries suck......... a lot.  :-[ Hang in there, it will heal in time.

clww

I was topping a tree that went bad and I cracked my sternum and broke several ribs a few years ago, so I feel your pain. I hope you heal up soonest.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mountain State Farm

Scully, I also feel your pain. For me, 30 was a great age. I could get hurt or work like a dog and the next day I was fine. Now when something happens to me it takes forever to recover.

Don't push it and get well soon.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

scully

Thanks for the support guys ! I see allot of us are in the same age group and have done the same thing , The hemlock was the last of 4000 +BF of logs I got when I got my mill , I am in an ongoing project to restore a post and beam house/barn long story and insane undertakeing but hey I love it on the edge I guess . My location......Hannibal NY home of lake effect snow !  I realy want to hit the ground running as the weather gets better ,setbacks don't fit into the plan ! If things go like it's shapeing up to I will have a bunch of cool posts to make ! My friends just bought 180 acres of timber and it looks like my mill will be parked over there allot !
I bleed orange  .

tgalbraith

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Macgyver

Hope it gets better quick.  I used to pole vault in high school, went up on a jump, got up over my pole when it was vertical, but didn't have the momentum to keep going.  Came down ribs to the top of the pole and it cracked a couple inwards....guess I'm lucky it wasn't worse, but I had some funny friends back then.  Like Jeff said, stay away from the funny people!

Take it easy too, it really sucks to re-injure something that would've been fine if it was just given another week or so to heal.  Good luck
Smile! It confuses people

Tim Lea

Have had some broke ribs before I feel for you..It takes a while to get over it.. I'm with Jeff on funny people, coughing, and Lord if you have to sneeze..Thats the wearste thing..

sigidi

I've been lucky to dodge any rib issues, but I always chuck my cant hook on my sholder, my arms are like T-rex arms and my legs are similar to the T-rex, so I tend to use 'em when I have to  ;) ;D

good luck on the recovery
Always willing to help - Allan

hardtailjohn

Scully, I've been there...it's awful! I not only broke ribs a few times, but also split my sternum twice...
My old doctor was a really smart ol' guy, and a good ol' country dr.. he knew we had to be working, so he showed me a little trick to get the pain to subside a bit. Take a bed sheet and fold it so that it'll fit from your armpits to the bottom of your rib cage and wrap it around you just snug, not tight, then safety pin it on. That will keep the ribs and sternum from expanding too much, without putting tension on things, and you'll still be able to take it off and relax a bit and shower. They used to use tape, but it was almost worse to have that peeled off than being hurt in the first place! Try this...I guarantee it will help. I was working (lightly, but still there and working) in just a couple days when I used the sheet. Trust me, I know what you're going through!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Tim Lea

ET

I also feel your pain, as I'm still suffering from my fall back in Jan. Had MRI yesterday and sitting in Drs office right now. They say time heals all wounds; I hope it hurries up. Hang in there.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Beaudeane

I cracked a couple of mine 2 years ago playing backyard football with my brother & cousins all about my age. Dr said breath deep & cough even though it hurts cause giving in to short breaths from the pain can cause pneumonia a lot of times after rib fractures. Seems  like at 41 I should still be able to do everything I could do 20 yrs ago but my body is starting to show me its not gonna go along with those plans. Seems like it took me a month or more to quit favoring my left side. Ibuprofen is ur friend smiley_old_guy smiley_old_guy smiley_old_guy smiley_old_guy
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Thank You Sponsors!