iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange LT50 casualty

Started by Nomad, June 30, 2014, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

I noticed a substantial hydraulic leak on my mill yesterday.  A new leak, but lots of fluid.  Cleaned up the area, under the side support operating cylinder.    Then I fired up the mill and operated things.  A fitting?  Nope.  Cylinder packing?  Nope.  Hose?  Nope.
     Turns out the leak was from the middle of the forward sequencing valve.  I bet I wiped the oil off that thing 25 times 'cuz I just couldn't believe where it was coming from.  But after 15 minutes of staring at it and wiping oil off it I had to admit the valve body was cracked.  Got a new one on order, but it looks like I'm down for a few days.  I've been working with hydraulics for about 40 years and I could count on one hand how many times I've seen a valve body crack.  Murphy came for a visit today.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

woodmills1

some things are just strange
The cast housing of the speed control on my firewood processor was leaking
I tried every thing, it was a hairline crack in the cast iron
it is used to change the flow to the conveyor
go figure
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

That is a strange failure but sharing it could help someone else at a later time.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

I had the same thing on my mill . Steel hose ends into alluminum is trickey and very easy to over tighten .
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!