iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

custom sawing

Started by northernss454, April 19, 2009, 08:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

HI all,I made up my mind to buy a sawmill.I think I am going to purchase a LT15,for personal and maybe a bit of custom use. Around my neck of the woods there is a few mills but noone does custom.Now i am not sure how much work would be around,but i am certain if i would advertise i would get  work.Lots of trees around. Now i have never run one before but am certain I could catch on,and with the help of this fourm learn some good tecniques.
What is the going rate for cutting lumber both hardwood and soft wood,delivered to your site i'm in Canada.Also what about different sizes?Like if someone wants 12-  1"x12"x16'.  but if the next guy wants 1- 12"x12"x16'. This is where i kinda get confused.Its the same amount of lumber but way less work,so how do u charge.To me if u charge by the b/ft,one job would be a better deal than the other.Also is there diffrent rates for soft wood and hard wood? If I do this I kinda want to make a chart of what I charge and stick to it,kinda give me a guideline.If it don't work out i have a LT15 that I am sure I will always use. I am just looking for a bit extra $$ cause I know I am going to enjoy it.Thanks all

northernss454

And doing some more reading here maybe I should just set a flat rate per hour,start low and increase rate as it/and if it grows.Any other thoughts would be great from someone that was in my same shoes at one time.
Thanks

tyb525

Welcome to the forum northernss454!

The average rate for a bandmill can be anywhere from $.15 (barely break even) to $.30 and up. Some people charge by the hour, say $25, 50, and up, depending on what they are sawing. Usually, if you charge by bd ft, the more lumber you are cutting, the better. You also have to take into account the difficulty of handling very large/long lumber, and the inefficiency of handling very small/short lumber. Most sawyers also cHarge the customer for a new blade if they hit metal.

Now, I'm just a beginning sawyer, just like you will be if you buy the LT15. I think you will be very happy with it, or any other mill for that matter. Don't worry when you get the sawing bug, we sawyers all have it. ;) We are here to help you.

Make sure to read through the forum, and use the search function. There is a load and a half of information on here.

Remember to take a pictures if you get the mill. We LOVE pictures here on the forum. :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the Forum Northenss454  ;) ;D 8) 8) you have come to the rite place mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

What Young TY said was spot on hes a Top Bloke Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) The link that Tom whacked in is  a Good one ;) Hows Things Going Fellas  ??? ;) ;D

and Nrthn you where thinkin along the rite lines with the hourly rate  ;)  just make sure that you are covering costs pluss wages and alittle cream on the top and like Ty said any trash in the logs that rites off a band has to be coverd by the customer  ;)Mate

another note to charging by the hour is dont stop for too long unless the customer is Telling You How to saw a log  ;) :D :D :D as you can cop it both ways as some might think your slacking off ;) and others who dont mind taking allday to saw a handfull of logs but just work at a steady rat and you will have no dramas Mate 

Good Luck 

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

wdncno

Welcome- Where I am in central Ontario, the going rate seems to be $45 to $75 an hour, depending on the size of the mill, ie.- speed of cutting and support equipment supplied.  I charge from the time I am hooked up until I'm ready to leave the customer's yard. No coffee or smoke breaks billed for.  I don't smoke, if the customer wants to smoke or talk, I bill for that time.  I find charging by the hour to be fairest to all involved.  If the customer is organised, he gets more work done, if the logs are all over the place I don't lose.  If I bring help I charge their wage on top + travel time for help. I pay help's return trip from my pocket. If we cut at my place billing starts when we unload his logs.  Seems to work for me.

Thank You Sponsors!