iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mac 10-10 spark “fuel” and compression but won’t start.

Started by MelonBoi1, March 05, 2024, 07:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelonBoi1

Quote from: DHansen on March 08, 2024, 08:44:05 PMPhoto of Mighty Vac gauge.  Compression fitting with core removed and vacuum hose connected to compression gauge fitting.  It sounds like you already have a compression tester, so use that fitting, but remove the valve core.  I bought my Mighty Vac used for $30.00 US.
Interesting but I am not a compression tester expert. I need to get one without bending and cutting and fabricating my own system. I can make the sealing plates but I can't make some goofy jig for the compression tester.

DHansen

The valve core threads out of the compression tester adapter. Just like a valve core from a tire pressure stem.  The hose slides over the end nipple of the compression adapter.  Thread adapter into the spark plug hole on the cylinder head.   Don't even need to use a clamp on the hose.   No cutting or bending.  Unless you are talking about cutting the inner tube to size.  I am just trying to help you diagnose the issue with your saw.  No magic bullet, just tests that will help eliminate the possible causes.   Eliminate one thing at a time and move forward to pinpoint the cause.  You have already confirmed ignition and compression.  You have determined the carburetor is dry inside.  Your description suggests a lack of fuel flow.  So, either the saw is unable to pump due to a pulse issue or there is a carburetor problem.  Pick which one to trouble shoot first, then move forward.  Making it work is all up to you and your abilities.  You are adding additional troubleshooting skills to your talents and learn by trying.

beenthere

Take it to a chainsaw doc.  ffcool

Someone who will do the good suggestions provided here and then fix your saw.  ffwave
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I would not suggest a 10-10 Mac is a poorly designed saw .They made them or some variations of them over 25 years .I think that is a record for a chainsaw .That said they are "old school " but usually very dependable .About the only way to kill them  is to straight gas them .Now that said they refuse to run unless the carb is getting fuel .It's not magic,not rocket science just the cold hard fact .However there is a device to end all the drama called a battery saw .If the battery is charged they always start plus they are very quiet ,no hearing protection needed .I've got one myself ,tiny thing that it is . If I had enough batteries in about 3 hours I could drop an 18" oak I'd imagine .

WLzM1A

Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D
Whitehead 180 wall hanger

Lone Elm British Labrador Retrievers
AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

MelonBoi1

Al_Smith

Well this has gone on nearly a month  .People have tried to help but it's been replied "that has already been done " .I for one have ran out of ideas except evidently something has not been done as reported it had been . Perhaps it's time to find somebody who is knowledgable about old McCulloch saws .I'm rather busy myself .--good luck ---

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: MelonBoi1 on March 27, 2024, 05:35:26 PM
Quote from: WLzM1A on March 27, 2024, 05:09:03 AM
Quote from: MelonBoi1 on March 06, 2024, 01:32:30 PMI don't need a video, I need someone to help me.
Good way to never get help fiddle-smiley
Your comments are unnecessary.
Well to be fair, you kind of asked for it.  Some very knowledgeable folks have offered you some terrific guidance here and from what I see you have not given clear feedback on what you've checked and how you checked it. So they mention it again in another form and you get snarky with them. In fact, some might say you have been pretty demanding for results, which frankly is a bit rude.
 Looking at your other posts I see that you only post here when you have a problem you can't figure out, but I don't see you sharing your knowledge to help others. That's not exactly cricket as they say. I'm just pointing this out in case you didn't notice it. This forum works both ways, it's not a 'fix my problem' platform, although it very often is.
 I wish you the best of luck with your saw, but I think you may be turning off the very folks that are trying to help you. Good Luck an I hope you work through it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WLzM1A

Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D

AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

MelonBoi1

chet

What he was politely saying, is your attitude will get you no where on this forum. He, like myself and others have bowed out from trying to assist you.
You will not find a more willing group to help, so it would be wise of you to not squander that opportunity.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WLzM1A

Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2
Homelite 330
Sears H58D

AKC Fox Red and Black
Veteran Owned

WLzM1A

Quote from: chet on April 03, 2024, 03:41:37 PMWhat he was politely saying, is your attitude will get you no where on this forum. He, like myself and others have bowed out from trying to assist you.
You will not find a more willing group to help, so it would be wise of you to not squander that opportunity.
Amen Chet :thumbsup:
Echo CS-310
Stihl 034 AV
Stihl MS250
Stihl 025
Echo CS-8000
Stihl 011 AVT
Stihl 066 Magnum
Dolmar PS-401
McCulloch MAC 160S
McCulloch Power Mac 6
Homelite Super EZ  X2