iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check out the load of firewood my friend brought me

Started by Hoop, July 20, 2006, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I let'r stand, it's obvious your markets are flooded with cheap wood. Let them come to you with higher prices on their spec sheets/contracts.  ;D Up here we are undercut by crown wood stumpage and I'm in no mood to give a crop away that takes 80 years to grow.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Unfortunately that basswood has to be out of there in the next six months and better prices are just not going to happen.

The largest pulp buyer has their yards full of very expensive wood, not cheap wood. All suppliers are on strick quotas for this quarter and they just slashed the August quotas by 20 % due to unexpected mill downtime. Of course all the other mills that did not overbuy have now slashed their prices just because they now do not have to compete.  >:(

Basswood is another story. The demand for sawlogs seems to have fallen off a cliff. The pulp mills do not like it because it plugs up their debarkers. The few remaining buyers know they can get it cheap and it is not much good for firewood.   :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

There's a couple of fellas here trying to chip some limby spruce because the mills won't take that limby stuff. (I wouldn't either) But, they figure it will be ok to clear $6 or $7 a tonne after cutting, trucking and chipping. That's $15/cord ($180-270 per load). ??? ::) We're used to $45/tonne (hardwood) before expenses with $380-480 per truckload net. I think the hardwood price has dropped 30 % since 2 years ago.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Gary_C on August 02, 2006, 02:41:19 PM
All suppliers are on strick quotas for this quarter and they just slashed the August quotas by 20 % due to unexpected mill downtime. Of course all the other mills that did not overbuy have now slashed their prices just because they now do not have to compete.

That's why I say the market is (or will be) flooded with cheaper wood. Expensive for the supplier, but cheap for the buyer. I'll bet stumpage price never dropped.

Thank You Sponsors!