iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood splitter log deflection

Started by sum1, January 30, 2021, 10:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sum1

I have a new WP-840 Wallenstein. I find some of the smaller logs especially if the log is cut on any angle at all wants to deflect in the splitter and not go through the wedge. I'm thinking of welding some small spikes on the push plate. Does anyone have recommendations on what works?

mike_belben

Can you catch this thing in the act and post the vid to youtube?
Praise The Lord

jmur1

Welcome sum1:

Does yours has an "x" formed on the push plate?  Any thing that grabs more than that will risk hauling the splits back into the chamber.  Are you cutting crooked logs or have field angle cuts on the ends?  
I have an extension on my pusher plate (for shorter chunks) that allows for some good sloppyness of the pusher plate, and that seems to help let the chuck finds its own best angle.

jmur1  
Easy does it

Wallys World

You need to contact your dealer and see whats going on. I have one and don't much problem. Do you have the chainsaw pivot mount? How small of a log are you talking about?
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

stavebuyer

I have no experience with your machine; but a square cut and gravity is basically what aligns a block so a flat face on both the leading and trailing edge of the block makes a difference.

mike_belben

I modified my homeowner single wedge splitter into a multi way and the first engage point is a sharpened stub of 1" barstock so that it stays wherever i poke the thing initially.
Praise The Lord

sum1

I took a video of one today which can be found here https://youtu.be/pludiHT5QB8

Its smaller then the majority of the wood however when you winch in an entire tree you obviously get some small wood near the end.

I would say I find this issue with some wood that is as large as 5" diameter perhaps a bit more.

mike_belben

Tack tack tack stack some weld dimples on the pusher face. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

My Dyna processor has what looks like round rivet heads in the push plate. They don't do much. With a processor it's hard not to get some angled cuts, I'll need to make something mite aggressive.
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

Using 7018 you can weld up pimples 1/4 inch or more . Just hold weld in one spot with a little circle . I laid mine out with a magic marker on a one inch grid . I get zero kick out on my machine .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

petefrom bearswamp

Ive always just put the piece against the wedge if needed, simple and effective
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Downstream

we tested weld dimples and other shapes before deciding on an X weld bead across the corners of the push ram on the kinetic splitter I helped develop.  More important on a unit with faster splitting cycle times because dynamic energy becomes a problem with less than 3 sec cycle.  if you position the angles so the chunk is forced down and not up you can split most but not all.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Thank You Sponsors!