iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB questions and comments

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 02, 2021, 11:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Just my curiosity in asking
Wood usage is stated often here with varying number of cords used.
Are you folks using standard cord measure (128 cu ft of wood and air) or face cord measure varying from 32 cu ft, for 16"wood to 48 cu ft for 18" etc.
How big or small do you process your wood.
My son and I use just under 2'  wood as the splitter throw is 24", about 8 to 10 std cords per year depending on wood quality (btu content).
How often do you stoke your OWB?
I stoke twice a day with the first about 8 AM with 10 to 12 pieces depending on size and wood quality and again at 4 to 5 PM with 10 to 15 pieces.
Water temp at 4PM is about 150 and above during the day and anywhere from 130 to 150 overnight.
With my better hardwoods I get a lot more coaling and burn this down every few days.
These temps are during typical outside temps here in central NY
There are charts online giving the btu content of various woods.
The denser hardwoods are the best with softwoods being the worst in general, ie southern yellow pine may be better than Aspen.
My OWB is a 2005 classic, and very inefficient but very clean burning.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

PoginyHill

I have the newer gasifier type, Classic Edge 750. My climate is similar to yours. Here's my info:

• Burn 10-12 standard cores/yr, but an old, large farmhouse and heat my 36X38 garage often for projects or to prevent going below freezing during really cold weather (like sub-zero). Garage zone is a separate one from my house coming directly from the OWB. I turn on/off circulator as needed.
  • I have yet to burn very well seasoned wood. (This is my third year), but not green either; generally dries 3-6 months before winter. Next year looks better on this front having nearly all I need already cut, split, and piled outdoors.
  • Length is 24". Split most that is over 5-6" diameter.
  • Fill twice per day. Normally a 2-4" bed of coals for each filling. (adjust how much I put in based on temp, wind, and weather I'm heating the garage.
  • Clean once every week or two.
  • Generate about 15-20 gals of ash per month.
  • Water temp is maintained 180-190 deg.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

hedgerow

I don't have a true OWB. I have a Garn so I batch burn into 2,000 gallons of water. I usually let my water temp run down to 120-140 and then load it up full and it takes about three hours on the timer of burn time to burn that load out and will leave the temp at between 180-195 depending on how cold it is and if the shop heat is on pulling heat with the house. I burn 10-15 full cord a year and most of my wood is 18 to 22 inch long. I run year around as I heat my domestic with it also. That five cord swing is weather depend. A lot of winters we get a several week period of zero or below temps. Haven't seen that this winter only a couple days down at zero. Looks like we are going to have a few days this week later in the week. This year looks to be on track for around that 10 cord mark.  

Corley5

Heat Master SS 5000, I think it's a 5000 ;) :), heats about 2800 sq ft and burns close to 50 16" face cords of green hardwood from September through May.  Base board and in floor heat. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Face cords in Maine is like grits, don't hear of that much.  :)
I have no idea how much I burn. I burn mostly dead-rotten wood. If it stays together coming out of the woods, I burn it. If it breaks off coming out, I go back and get it.  ;) Years ago, before the OWB, I would push a dead tree out of my way, a few days later, I would push it out of my way again. I just push it all up into a pile and cut it up as needed. Most times no more than 2 weeks ahead at any one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Quote from: Corley5 on February 02, 2021, 01:17:07 PM
 Heat Master SS 5000, I think it's a 5000 ;) :), heats about 2800 sq ft and burns close to 50 16" face cords of green hardwood from September through May.  Base board and in floor heat.
That would be a bit less than 17 cord. Around here nobody says face cord but I've been on the FF long enough to get used to hearing it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

gspren

When I heat the house and shed I use about 9-10 cord depending on the wood and weather, keep the water set to on at 175 and off at 180, depending on how long it idled the water may drop to 172 or so before it climbs and when the blower kicks off at 180 it will climb to 185. Since the oils been cheap I only heat my one small shed and use less than 3 cord if the wood is good.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sublime68charger

my first year with my OWB and I have a 12x20 Garage in a box shed that I filled with wood and It was plumb full on 11/20/2020 and Now I'm about 1/2 empty in the shed  I have added 1 cross row of semi dry walnut to the shed that I got for free it was on a trailer that the guy wanted to emtpy trailer for use and I said I'd take the wood.  

pics of my shed and stuff here along with the rest of my install and what have you

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=113001.0

Arctiva

I've got a woodmaster 434 I bought used for $800 and on year 3 with it.

Year 1 I burned 20 cords of mostly green wood and loaded it 3 times a day and had to use the propane on occasion.

Year 2 I burned 16 cords dry wood and 3 cords of junk willow, poplar and loaded twice a day. No propane

Year 3 I've burned about 6 cords of good wood and a cord of green poplar so far. Still doing twice a day. On pace for 10-12 and no propane so far.

Ive got a 135 year old brick 2 story with original windows little insulation and forced air heat. Year 1 my upstairs was gutted to studs and rafters and maintained 36 degree upstairs, 72 down stairs. Year 2 after $5000 in spray foam upstairs was about 55 degrees. Year 3 another $2500 in spray foam, new windows upstairs is 67. Still got a few more grand in spray foam to go. 

When house is done I'm hoping to be at or under 10 cords a year of wood. And a newer/bigger owb and 1 load a day. 

Stephen1

I will follow along as I am thinking about an OWB for my new build.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

hedgerow

Arctiva
I couldn't agree more. Spray foam and new windows sure helps seal up these 100+ year old houses. Not cheap but it works. It keeps the mice out also when you live on a farm. 

Rebarb

CB 5036 heating 4600 sq ft in western VA, all hydronic. 
Burn 7 - 8 cords per year, seasoned hardwood. 
Load twice per day with set temp of 175 - 185.
Average temperature. 
Night 25* day 35*

Thank You Sponsors!