iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which OWB would you suggest?

Started by Blazer1918, February 03, 2021, 01:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazer1918

Looking to install an OWB in the coming months.  Will be used to heat the house (via radiant floor heat) and domestic hot water.  Currently set up burning oil, never had an OWB but have 10 acres here and another 150 acres 10 mins from me to pull wood from.  Have looked into Central Boiler, Crown Royal and Woodmaster so far.  Not sure if there are other brands we should take a look at.  Need around 120k btu burner +/-.  Also, was going to erect a pole barn in which to house the OWB and keep it sheltered from weather.  Get a fair amount of wind up here on the hill.  Located in NW corner of CT.  Any info is most appreciated as we are brand new to the idea of utilizing an OWB.  

PoginyHill

First question is will you be getting a gasifier version or conventional? States or municipalities may dictate the gasifier version or EPA approved for household use. Commercial users are often exempt from that and can use the conventional type. I can only answer to the Central Boiler unit I own. I did consider other brands to any great extent - CB had what I needed, didn't find anything negative about their units and had a local dealer. Mine is a Classic Edge 750. I've had no problems, but this is only my third winter using it. All gasifier units will require seasoned wood. The conventional ones will burn greeen wood ok.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Blazer1918

Thanks for the info PoginyHill.  We are looking at the gasifier version as here in the peoples republic of CT that is all that is allowed and even then various towns can have restrictions.  Plus we also like the efficiency of the gasifier models.  We have been looking at the CB Classic Edge 360 HDX as one of our options.  Actually awaiting a price quote on that model now.  I have seen some less than flattering reviews online concerning the Central Boiler products but have also seen and heard some great reviews.  Can be a bit confusing so hoping to hear from folks such as yourself as to their experiences with various OWB's before we go spend a boatload of money on one.

PoginyHill

Keep in mind you will hear almost every problem people have with them, but not so much from satisfied users. You'll mostly hear of leaks some have had - and with nearly all brands. I cannot answer to why the leaks. I think most leaks are before manufacturers started using stainless steel construction as their standard.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Corley5

Check with your insurance company about installing an OWB inside.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sublime68charger

Im in the central boiler club,

my build and install is here

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=113001.0

how far from house and what type of underground pipe are you thinking of using?

PoginyHill

Quote from: Blazer1918 on February 03, 2021, 01:09:23 PMAlso, was going to erect a pole barn in which to house the OWB and keep it sheltered from weather.

Corley5's note prompted this: I would not enclose it completely from the elements. Besides any insurance issues, the boiler will let out a lot of smoke when you're loading it. I have a pole barn "enclosed" on the side with rows of firewood, but open on the ends. Still smoky, but it dissipates quickly.

Blazer1918

sublime68charger I am looking at an install spot approx 80 feet from the house so that the unit would be upwind from us.  i was looking at using 1" thermopex buried in a trench that would run below ground to the house.  

Thomasjw4

I run an old central boiler that i bought used.  It is also a gasifier.  Best advice is check amazon for all your installation needs.  The central boiler dealer here was ridiculously priced on everything.

Hilltop366

If I was looking to install inside I would take a look at the indoor wood boilers,

Made to install inside.
Fully pressurized (will last longer, low oxygen).
Install in a insulated partitioned room in your pole barn with extra thermal storage.
Taller chimney.
Store dry wood in barn and load boiler out of the weather.
Considerably less worry of boiler freeze up if you are away or unable to make a fire.  

I know a guy with a setup like this he really likes it, most of the winter he only lights a fire every 3 days by summer it's 6 to 7 days to keep up the domestic HW. 

Smoke is much less problem as it is designed to fire a best rate and dump all the heat into the storage then you use the heat as required, makes for even heat in the house with no smouldering fires. 

thecfarm

Heatmor is a good brand. Or was. I have no idea about the new gassers.
At one time Heatmor was a very simple design, no switches, solenoids, just a simple design that works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I'm with thecfarm on the Heatmors, bulletproof and simple but I don't know if they build gasifier units. I would also do checking on the pole building install with your insurance company. Mine said "no way", if it is manufactured as an outdoor unit they will not cover it being under a building. I tried to get them to just exclude the building that I wanted to put it in, but they wouldn't do that.
Too many irons in the fire

VTwoodworker

I am in the very dissatisfied camp with CB.  Had an older gasification model that had issues from the start and after 8 years I was very happy to see it go to the junkyard on a flat bed.  I got zero customer support from CB.

I am on my third winter with a Portage and Main gasification boiler and I love it.  Burns much cleaner uses about 70% of wood from the CB and the cleaning maintainance is at least 50% less.  The customer service from them is top notch as well.

The only downside of the Portage and Main is the size of the fire box.  It is relatively small and will only take 24" wood.  Practically for me that means when it is below zero it will not quite go 12 hours between fill ups so I end up topping it off again around 9:00 PM.  I do heat about 5000 square feet and burn 15 cords of wood.

One other point to consider is the type of wood you will be using.  One of the reasons I started looking at Portage and Main is because it was originally designed for use in Western Canada where they heat primarily with soft wood.  I have almost an unlimited supply of red rot Balsam Fir and Red Spruce.  So about 90% of my woodpile is comprised of low grade soft wood mixed with some random hardwoods of opportunity.  My boiler like all gasification units does not like green wood of any kind but does quite well on barely seasoned wood.  

E Yoder

A few thoughts:
CB and Woodmaster are the same model. CB owns Woodmaster now.
To be clear, I'm a HeatMaster dealer. The G series are indoor rated so insurance should be no issue.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

thecfarm

barbender,I saw a Heatmor something at a show a few years back. They had to go with the new regs, either build a gasser or go out of business.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hedgerow

Blazer1918  Welcome to the forum.
Just about twelve years ago I started down the road of looking at wood boilers. I knew I wanted myself and my wood in my cold storage pole shed for those nasty days of loading it. My insurance company said no OWB inside. So then I needed a inside boiler. I ended up buying a Garn and liked it well until season nine and I had the first leak. Bad factory weld three thousand dollars and I was back up and running. Two years later I have a new leak in a different place. Started leaking in Dec 2020. I have some high temp silicone sealing it now to try to get by till spring and then I will drain it and see if it can be repaired again. I wish I would have bought a Switzer's closed system boiler they seem to stand up better.  

stratford 50

I've had two Central Boilers, 2008 & 2014 both had a leak, 1st one not really an easy repair unless you send to the factory, 2nd boiler sprung a leak around New Years eve, good chance that was weldable. Two weeks later another leak starts opposite the 1st leak, My confidence went down hill when the 2nd leak showed up in 2 weeks time. There is a good chance both leaks are weldable. The Factory was helpful stating get my dealer involved & they would go from there,  Its the middle of winter how many times am I going to drain & fill a boiler that could start leaking in another location. I did the math & for the money invested on equipment & wood 144 cord in 12 years it would be cheaper for me to burn oil. The 3rd revision of the Edge might be the answer, I hope it is as Cental Boilers will put out a lot of heat if installed properly. Sorry to rant but if my boiler wouldn't have leaked I'd still be burning wood.

DDW_OR

my 2 cents.
look at several different manufactures.

look for:
cleaning
maintenance
repair
power outage
"let the machines do the work"

gspren

I like my Portage and Main but it is an old conventional style, one of the things I like is it's extended horizontal smoke area that pretty much eliminates seeing sparks come out of the stack.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Rebarb

Unfortunately it's hit or miss with boilers and yes, the expense is a factor. 

I'm on my 8th year with a CB 5036 and have not experienced a single failure of any part and like you , have a plethora of firewood so feel like I must take advantage of this resource. 

If this one fails then I'll be looking at gasification units. 

Wood Shed

I have had a CB 6048 for fifteen years with no leaks.  The set up I have now is not what I started with.  I did not see you say that your main motivation to get an OWB was to save money, that is good as many fail when saving money is their sole motivation.  You have gotten good advice so far and I will emphasize that having dry wood is essential which ever system you use, even the old smoke dragons like mine produce far less smoke when properly fed dry wood.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

gspren

I agree with Wood Shed about money savings! If you buy a new OWB and then all the necessary stuff to get it up and running it will take more years than you probably think to show a profit, remember even if you cut on your own land like I do the wood still isn't free. Having said that I don't regret buying mine as I think the wood cutting is good for me and I just enjoy fooling with it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

I know I would have a lot more time if I was not cutting wood. But I sure do enjoy it. I feel I am making the woods better. 

DDW_OR

Blazer1918

there is a Fed tax credit.
"26 percent of the purchase and installation costs for tax years 2021 and 2022; reduces to 22 percent of purchase and installation costs in 2023......The new Sec. 25(D) tax credit is for qualified models and installation and is at 26% throughout 2021 and 2022 before decreasing to 22% in 2023"

check with the manufacture if they financing such as 12 month same as cash.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!