iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What saw

Started by TimW, April 14, 2021, 06:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

What saw would you buy, a Stihl 362 (display model) or Stihl 461 (new in the box) with 25 inch bars?  Price difference is $200.  I am not planning on taking down trees, but mainly bucking logs over 30 inches in diameter.
MS 362 is same size and weight as my MS 290 Farm Boss, but has a little more power.  I was in a bind (6pm) Monday and bucking a log when the MS290's bar sprocket locked up. I was in a frenzy needing to cut up some 2x6s for a buyer.  Then and there, I decided I needed another saw, after I installed my original bar to finish the log bucking.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Also, what length bar?  20 or 25?
 hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Upstatewoodchuc

There's no replacement for displacement and power, buy once, cry once. If youre burying 25inch bars that 362 is out of its league. 
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Gary Davis

I have a 036, 038 mag and a 460 any thing over 24 in I use the 460 

lxskllr

The 362 will handle a 25" bar ok, but it's sub optimal. If you frequently have a 25" bar buried, I'd go with the bigger saw. If it isn't so frequent, I'd go with the lighter saw. I bought my 362 with a 25" bar, but 20" is a better match, if for no other reason, balance. After getting a 661, that gets the 25" bar when I want something shorter than 36". If you really like the idea of a 362 + 25" bar, I'd go with the ES Light bar.

TimW

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on April 14, 2021, 07:16:31 PM
There's no replacement for displacement and power, buy once, cry once. If youre burying 25inch bars that 362 is out of its league.
I brought the 362 home with the 20 inch bar today, but think I will take it back for the 461 with the 25 inch bar.
hugs,  Brandi

WDH

I run a MS362 with a 25" bar and a full skip chain.  With the full skip chain, it is more like running a 20" bar because there are fewer cutters, but you get the advantage of the 25" bar length.  I have found it to be a good compromise. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JJinAK

I have both of those saws.  Just as @WDH I run a 25" skip on my 362 and 28" skip on my 461.  Granted I'm cutting Spruce and Hemlock, so softwoods, but those combos work best for me.

I am very pleased with both saws.  The 362 is an older non cm and that thing just runs and runs.  The 461 is a workhorse.
MS461
MS362

doc henderson

I run a 25 and 36 inch bar on my old 046 magnum, and just have to listen to the engine pull with a longer bar.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

my chain for the 880 is a skip tooth for the 5 foot bar.   :) ;) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

What about the two saws without skip chains and the bar lengths mentioned above?  What I really want now (pretty sure) is a MS461 with a 25 inch bar.  Now, skip or regular chain?

My old MS 290 has 56cc.  The MS 362 I bought home last night is 59cc.  The 461 has 76.5cc.  That is a lot more power for the 461.  Seems like the 461 would be fine with a regular chain on a 25 inch bar.

What are the cost differences in chains?  Guess I could just buy a regular chain and if it bogs down too much, buy skip chains.

My friend and Stihl dealer said you can bog them down and burn them up, as the clutch (I think he said) has a cooling fan connected to it.  Low rpms equal less cooling.  But really, we all know when our saw is bogging down, like Doc mentioned above.  Just like a tractor plowing or pulling a disc, low power settings kill the engine.  Ya gotta roll coal!

hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

I run a 36 inch bar on my 046 that is the old version of what you are getting.  It is full of teeth.  I got it when that was the only saw I ran (owned).  with a little common sense, it was fine.  in a 12 inch log, not much different than a 20 inch bar ect.  the trouble would be running a full chain in hedge with a 36 inch bar.  you have enough scruples to know haw to run equipment.  you will not want your rankers to low on a 36 inch bar and chain.  that saw will pull.  if you crank on the log dawgs and push into the log, almost any saw may bog down.

Tacotodd

Skip tooth makes it cut slower for a given bar length, but it increases saw speed to what it needs to be. On the 461 with the length of the bar mentioned, I'd go full comp & not skip. I've never NEVER heard of any fan on the sprocket side, on on the flywheel side, that might be where the confusion was. 
Trying harder everyday.

TimW

Quote from: Tacotodd on April 15, 2021, 05:09:32 PM
Skip tooth makes it cut slower for a given bar length, but it increases saw speed to what it needs to be. On the 461 with the length of the bar mentioned, I'd go full comp & not skip. I've never NEVER heard of any fan on the sprocket side, on on the flywheel side, that might be where the confusion was.
I've never NEVER made a mistake. no_no  Except this time. :D  It is on the flywheel side or is the flywheel.
                   Brandi

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on April 15, 2021, 04:08:12 PM
I run a 36 inch bar on my 046 that is the old version of what you are getting.  It is full of teeth.  I got it when that was the only saw I ran (owned).  with a little common sense, it was fine.  in a 12 inch log, not much different than a 20 inch bar ect.  the trouble would be running a full chain in hedge with a 36 inch bar.  you have enough scruples to know haw to run equipment.  you will not want your rankers to low on a 36 inch bar and chain.  that saw will pull.  if you crank on the log dawgs and push into the log, almost any saw may bog down.
You are right Doc.  I got enough scruples.  But there is a hole in my bag of marbles.  I returned the 362, this evening, and upgraded to the 461 with a 25 inch bar and regular chain.
Log dawgs?  I love log dawgs! running-doggy  Just can't teach them to fetch!
hugs,  Brandi

barbender

I've never seen a difference in cutting speed between skip and full comp. Not enough that I noticed anyhow. I know skip sharpens a lot faster. With a 25" on a 461, full comp should be just dandy anyhow.
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

Quote from: barbender on April 15, 2021, 10:10:41 PM
I've never seen a difference in cutting speed between skip and full comp. Not enough that I noticed anyhow. I know skip sharpens a lot faster. With a 25" on a 461, full comp should be just dandy anyhow.
Dandy is a good term. 
hugs,  Brandi

ehp

461 hands down is the saw you want of the ones you picked

Runningalucas

I like my 461, minus getting it started; usually, once started I just let it run.  For land clearing it has a place, but my heart goes out to our new little MS194T; she's a sweetheart.  The only problem that I've mentally noted with the 194T, is that it's so *DanG easy to use with one hand, I need to be extremely careful with where my other arm, and body are at in relation.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

TimW

I made two cuts in a 28 diameter pine today.  That thing is the bomb!  Cuts like butter and hardly hooked the dawgs into the log. 

I feel sorry for my old 290 (even with a new bar and chain) now, as I now favor the 461.  No problems starting, if I remember to push the compression release.  The chain brake goes on before I turn the saw off, so it will be on when I start the beast.

I could have bucked more logs, but got rained out as I was dogging the log on the mill.
hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

now you have a back up and or a loaner saw.   (not recommended)  nothing better than a new saw.  

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on April 16, 2021, 11:14:25 PM
now you have a back up and or a loaner saw.   (not recommended)  nothing better than a new saw.  
Saws are one of the things that don't get loaned out here.  Having a backup saw is the #1 reason I bought a new saw.
           hugs,   Brandi

barbender

I love new saws!😊
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

Thanks guys for all the input! smiley_blue_bounce smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_hollywood_cool splitwood_smiley
   hugs,  Brandi

WDH

You have to have a back-up saw to unstick the one you stuck ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!