The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Firewood Table Build  (Read 1395 times)

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
Firewood Table Build
« on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:35 AM »
Time to begin building my firewood table. The intent is to keep everything off the ground (24-32" high) and establish lengths to cut. Table will be 16ft long with slots for a chainsaw for 16" pieces and 24" pieces. Off-bearing table will be an incline - take wood from there to the woodpile, splitter, trailer or whatever. I'll load small 16 footers by hand, larger ones with an excavator/thumb, log loader, or tractor grapple. Only a concept now, but plan to start cutting steel this weekend. Frame is 2x2 and 2x3 tube with 1/8" wall. table top will be a combination of 2x4 and 4x4 rough-sawn lumber (easily replaceable). Wheels on one end, hitch and jack on the other - clear in between so nothing to trip on.

Many of the details I'll improvise as I go along. Not every detail is planned for.

Side View:

End View:

Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Firewood Table Build
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:48 AM »
Hmm.  Im on the fence about this.  I guess id have to see the whole yard layout and what youre doing.  

Are the pieces going to drop to the ground or will you manually pry them out and carry to the splitter?  Are you cutting at the flat or the gutter line?  

Does the trailer go in the woods or does the wood come out and go to the trailer?

Nice sketchup.
Psalm 37:16

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 08:05:02 AM »
Cut on the upper flat portion - about 32" off the ground, then push cut pieces over the 2x2 piece of wood and onto the incline (I will probably lessen the angle a bit). Then pick up pieces from the incline manually. This will all be in my "yard". Plan is to take everything out of the woods in 16ft lengths with a (yet to be purchased) forwarding trailer. Would use the trailers loader to place pieces on the table.

Thanks for the questions and opinions - rather identify problems and ideas now than later.
Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 08:13:41 AM »
I made one that i stack flitches on, but have done big logs/trees made from timbers and conveyor rollers.  I can move it with forks to get at chunks that fall into the frame.

bucking up firewood in Firewood and Wood Heating (forestryforum.com)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »
I made one that i stack flitches on, but have done big logs/trees made from timbers and conveyor rollers.  I can move it with forks to get at chunks that fall into the frame.

bucking up firewood in Firewood and Wood Heating (forestryforum.com)
Thanks for the share. Hourglass rolls would be sweet. For this build, I decided no moving parts, but portable (without putting forks on). If I decide to go bigger in the future, probably be a processor style unit. I don't have much in the way of large stuff. Nearly everything is under 16" diameter.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 09:28:44 AM »
I was thinking something very similar to this except for all my slabwood. I was planning on making it out of wood. 

I doubt I will have time to do up a sketch but if I do I will post it.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 09:44:34 AM »
If i may add a thought.. I hope you will consider making this so as to be expandable and easily integrated into your future builds so as not to just be a piece of parked once was iron that your next phase makes obsolete. 

I cant tell you HOW to do that but i know those are often my greatest frusterations.. When something i built "just for now" coulda been so much better if i just had one more lightbulb flick on and then i either have to cut a lot off, start over or go without.  

Maybe it is the manual cut table for now, but can become the log deck for later?  Maybe it houses the motor, tank, overhead tin roofing and light tower for the processor evolution?  Maybe the top flat eventually gets kicker fingers that toss each log down the ramp to the feeder trough thats on the driver side and maybe the passenger side ends up having legs and live deck chains?  

I dunno, thats your baby to create but i am always missing the mark on v1.0 and wishing i know what i was gonna run into later.  A lot of times v2.0 never happens but v1.xx leaves me sorry i overlooked expansion.  

The flip side is how much time can go by while i wrestle and waffle on it all.  Many sketches!  Keeps my mind out of the gutter atleast.

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
As far a expandability or modification, I think the basic frame could rather easily be modified for additional things with some amount of cutting/welding. I'm guessing this'll be good for at least 3+ years, maybe the rest of my mortal life - who knows. Rather inexpensive and (hopefully) a quick build, so not a huge investment if the future brings unexpected things.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 10:39:20 AM »
I hear ya.. I remind myself all the time its all just junk who cares. 

OTOH. metal is precious in the south and im running through my "lifetime" supply at an alarming rate!  The thought of buying it is cringy. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »
I bought a hay wagon running gear and put a deck on it mostly for this purpose, I put a couple of skids on it and used it for bucking firewood and feeding the splitter. It worked decent, we split a lot if wood like that last summer. Now that I've moved on to a processor, I still have a wagon that makes a great work table among all of the other things one might use one for. I'd think about going that route.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 11:35:28 AM »
since you are looking at a forwarding trailer, and after reading these threads, maybe a como trailer and bucking station.  or something on the side that allows the log to be cut in 16 inch section all at once, or roller/conveyors that move the log back and cut it, like a processor.  as we get older, we hate to bend and lift more than is needed.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 01:28:36 AM »
Our firewood table is a shameless copy of ideas and photos posted by @mike_belben  Thanks Mike!

We had decided to use IBC totes for firewood. We only need five cords per year to heat my woodworking shop and to process mill slabs and the firewood-size branches from our tree service cleanups. Also, the aim was to try for the OHIO slogan. (Only Handle It Once)  :D

Parts used are some cut up scaffolding and a 9 footer conveyor plus a few hours of fun with a welder and a cutting wheel.

The conveyer was braced onto the side.

This is the setup with Stihl 038 attached. An upright attaches a bungy cord to the saw handle, and balances the saw bar about 12 inches above the table.

A sched 5 bolt was welded to the table, a stopper nut, two washers and a nut with hole for the clevis pin. It holds the three foot bar pretty well. Easy on/off for oil & fuel re-fills.

It can easily be moved around with the loader - two 'C' channels were welded on two foot centers for the loader forks.

So there it is in use.

The Gehl loader is rated for more than 1000 lbs, and three tightly stacked totes make up a full cord of firewood. The time and effort savings are huge. It almost feels like we're cheating 'cause its so easy now. (almost) 

Six totes per load in the chipper truck box and the only handling is to get a tight stack in the totes after they fall off the firewoodtable. It was worth the trouble to build - we're happy.
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 03:11:02 AM »
Nice job 👍. Looks like a really handy little loader

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 04:20:45 AM »
Nice work andries.  Staying upright sure does help the spine!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 05:15:28 AM »
Logrite built a table. Had a super split built right into the table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline cutterboy

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
Andries, great job. Mike, great idea. Forestry Forum, great place for sharing.

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 04:01:31 PM »
Andries,

I never called a piece of machinery "cute", BUT, that loader is cute! AND, it lifts a loaded tote, so it's rugged too. Nice clean operation you got
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 08:38:12 PM »
I just got home after topping up her fuel and put 'Gail' away for the night. 
Yeah, maybe you're right. 

Cute, but in the way a bulldog puppy might be cute. 😆
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 08:55:43 PM »
The ease of getting on and off and visibility is incredible 

Offline jmur1

• Full Member x2
  • Wood is King
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 11:21:19 AM »
Working smarter and harder!  Nice setup.  Keep the wheels turning...
Easy does it

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56:51 PM »
I appreciate the input from you folks. For now I plan to stick with my original plan. I think the basic frame could be modified for a different use in the future with a little cutting (Might force me to buy a plasma cutter ;D). Finished the two main frame beams, then ran out of MIG gas. Will pick away as free time allows. Trailer axle is taking a little more time to ship than planned.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 10:02:42 PM »
holy new metal batman.  i cant even remember what thats like!

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Steel ainít cheap either.
Trying harder everyday.

Online 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »
Wow!
Your not playing 👍

Online 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 09:02:48 AM »
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood. 

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 09:18:44 AM »
@711ac I think I saw some of your pics when I was researching ideas for mine. Same here - only 10-15 cords/year for myself. If the price ever gets a bit higher, maybe sell some - but now (at least in my area), $200/cord doesn't provide much incentive. The only real difference between yours and the one I'm building is portability (and maybe capacity for 16ft lengths - not sure of your length). Would like to easily move mine around the yard without relying on forks.
PS I grew up around your area in Maine - Gray to be exact.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:10 AM »
love your 'bota setup 711

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »
got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
got bad news for ya. One of your frame pieces is upside down :)

Looks nice. love fresh steel
Let's hope nobody notices when it's all together.

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »
Basic frame is done. With 4" worth of wood on top it'll be about 32" off the ground for the cutting table. The off-bearing table about 26". Wife OK'd that height last night. Need to attach the wheels on the back and the feet and trailer tongue on the front.

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
Not nearly the same, but my "table" to keep the saw out of the dirt, stand upright and have the rounds at waist height to carry to the splitter. I'm only cutting my own firewood.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »
My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
nice work PH  

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
My wood is not green, but not fully seasoned either - maybe 20-30% moisture content. Every year I'm getting a little further ahead. Next winter should be fully seasoned. I can't answer to why 10-15 cords. That's not unreasonable from my experience and that I know of from others. I burned 8 cords when I had an indoor wood boiler. But now my oil backup never runs and I heat my garage often. Cold climate and on a hill - completely unprotected from the wind and a 100+ year old house would be factors. You must benefit from the warm on-shore breeze from the Gulf of Maine  :)
Ha, I wish it were a warm breeze! Our house is also on a hill, but south facing and super insulated. Lack of insulation and heating a garage will definitely increase consumption, so I could see 10-15 cords. Especially if you are burning in a conventional OWB without storage. I burn in a wood cookstove pretty much every day till June and we have a freestanding stove as well. The cookstove is allegedly 75% efficient, but the freestanding stove, which does the real heating work, is EPA certified at 83%. There are at least two gasification OWB that have 75%+ efficiency, the Heatmaster G series and the Polar G4. Both are closer to 80% efficient  and eligible for the new tax credit. 

I like your wood processing setup, at some point I'd like to do something similar. While I don't burn as much as you, I do like to avoid bending over and keeping my bar away from the dirt. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Online 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »

Do you burn green wood in an OWB? 10-15 cords a year is wild! I have two stoves in my house and only use 3 cord per year, no back up heat either.
Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 06:25:41 PM »

Edit; responding to space bus.
No only about about 6, normally less and dry. I have an indoor gasser that's mostly to heat the shop's slab but does heat the house. I have about 14 racks that hold about 90c/f each and my wood goes directly off the splitter to the rack and gets top covered with rubber roofing. I'll burn it at 1 year minimum but in the single row rack, split and covered it's good, at least for my boiler. Super dry wood actually causes problems for me.
That's pretty good for heating a shop and the house! Do you have storage for your boiler? I dream about building a shop and heating it, and my house, with an indoor gasser with storage. 

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Online 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore! 

Offline SpaceBus

• Full Member x2
  • Farm Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2021, 05:47:33 PM »
No storage, but on my list. We have what's come to be called a "barndominium". Just enough house on the end of the generous shop. I really don't want to give up the floor space in either the shop or house. In my view if I add storage, it'll be meaningful (1000 gallon) and that will take another fairly big tank for expansion adding up to a good bit of floor space even if I put the 1000g tank in a vertical position. Then there's the price of used LP tanks, it wasn't too long ago that we'd pick them up easily and make smokers out of them 😆 not anymore!
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage. 

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2021, 08:45:18 AM »
Metal frame is done. Attached axle and made the tongue. Copied commercial wood splitter designs and made the tongue removable to avoid the trip hazard when in use. Tongue has 2" receiver to mount either a ball hitch or Ag hitch. Next is paint. Then apply wood to the top.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 08:51:25 AM »
You aint playin

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »
You might have copied it but you probably saved a substantial amount of money. Good job 👍

Online Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2021, 02:52:55 PM »
@711ac barndominion , thatís hilarious. Iím gonna use THAT term for some of my friends places.
Trying harder everyday.

Online 711ac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »
Have you ever heard of American Solartechnic? It's a Mainer company that offers products for solar and wood hydronic heating. The company offers a pretty interesting solution to thermal storage.

American Solartechnics, LLC. - Heat Bank Storage Tanks
I listen to Tom every Saturday on the radio 👍but I want pressurized storage. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I want to build a table

Started by Brad_bb on General Woodworking

52 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 09:10:05 PM
by Ironwood
xx
Farm Table Build

Started by 123maxbars on General Woodworking

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 10:59:09 PM
by opticsguy