iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sauna firewood part II

Started by Sauna freak, November 25, 2021, 01:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauna freak

I now have some more data on this subject.  Not empirical data, but good observation nonetheless.  

Of the woods available in NE Minnesota, I've come to the conclusion that the fastest fire-up to 175F burn is generated by a blend of Black Spruce and Birch.  The Jack pine or Balsam Fir runs really hot initially, but as it coals they just kind of sit there, plug up the draft and don't generate great heat while taking up space. It works alright to start the fire with or maintain heat after temperature is up there. Tamarack is good, but not the explosive heat I'm looking for.  Also works well for maintenance.  The birch and black spruce just seem to provide the best fast and steady heat, and the coals burn at roughly the same rate as the gassifiable wood, keeping the firegrate clear and not taking excess space.  RP, WP, Aspen and Red Maple were not nearly as effective at generating fast and steady heat.  I've burned some red/pin oak from home, and when it's overdry and slightly dry rotted/wormy, it is also fabulous sauna wood, but in that state it tracks in a lot of junk so I don't care for it.

Pallet wood has also been great for a quick burst of heat, but burns so hot and fast depending on species that it isn't great for all around use.  I do save some SYP boards for a quick burst of heat if someone's left the door open too much.  It does have the same problem as the jack pine if too much is burned, as the coals just kind of sit there for awhile without generating much heat.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

cutterboy

Sauna F, I can see that you take your sauna seriously. With all the research you've done you must spend a lot of time in the sauna.
I've only been in a sauna a few times. That was when I was a young man and it was with men and women together naked. I rather enjoyed it.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Sauna freak

Quote from: cutterboy on November 26, 2021, 07:32:52 AM
Sauna F, I can see that you take your sauna seriously. With all the research you've done you must spend a lot of time in the sauna.
I've only been in a sauna a few times. That was when I was a young man and it was with men and women together naked. I rather enjoyed it.
Yeah, it gets a little boring up here in MN in winter.  I'm also Finnlander rich now, having 2 saunas, one at home, and one at the hunting camp.  My camp is off grid so sauna is the only way to clean up in the winter after a long day of logging, firewood, or just slogging through the snow.
In the cold months of the year, I try to sauna at least twice per week.  Presently my tolerance is up to 190F with lots of water on the rocks, hence the need to spike the temperature rapidly.  I'm also a firebug, so between experimenting with fire and taking a sauna, the research is really fun.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Bosco

doc henderson

does the firebox have forced air?  that could add another level of control that might expand the type of wood that you find useable.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Plankton

My father is a full blown Finn from North Minnesota. Built a sauna here at the farm 2 years ago and will only burn popple in it. Swears by it says it's the only sauna wood hahha. Definitely does the job.

Thank You Sponsors!