iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinetic Wood Splitter in Canada

Started by rangeroad, January 02, 2022, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangeroad

Hi folks,

Trying to track down a decent dealer in Canada for a gas powered kinetic wood splitter if anyone has experience? I'm based in NS.

I've tried contacting Gripo, hopefully they're open tomorrow. Any other vendor recommends or US shipping experience appreciated. Thanks.

sawguy21

Gripo appears to be a blue Super Split. A rental yard I worked at had one, we weren't happy with it. The bearings under the ram, they rode on the underside of the beam to reduce friction, didn't last long and the beam had to be kept clear of bark and pitch so the ram would fully retract.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Downstream

Pretty sure grip is rebranded super split but I don't think produce them anymore.  You do not want a cheap/bad kinetic because it will be a disaster.  I would only recommend 2.  First is a split second and the other one is a super split.  Split second stop producing because they decided it was not a market they wanted to be in but machine is top notch.  If you can find a used one go for it.  The only legit one in production currently is supersplit.  Good news is hasn't changed much over the years.  Bad news it hasn't changed much over the years.  New or used would be good.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

47sawdust

Might not be appropriate for Canada but another kinetic splitter besides SS is Amish made.
Flack Hill Machinery
7799Flack Road
Howard,Ohio 44028
740-427-2723
Two videos on youtube, type in Flack Hill log splitter.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Downstream

I forgot about the flack hill unit.  I have not directly used theirs but had heard decent comments about it.  Jeff that video is interesting machine too.  I would hate to catch the edge of your glove/sleeve on the wedge as you pass by it with a chunk because the ram will not stop and wait for you to get your hand/finger out of the way.  The mechanism seems okay but anything that operates automatically in that fashion is going to get you when you make the mistake.  If you watch the video for a little longer the entire unit tips up for some reason for a moment that would be pretty scary if you were operating it.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

PoginyHill

DR brand (Country Home Products) has a couple models. Based in Vermont. Cannot speak to their performance, but I own one of their mowers. Good quality.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Nathan4104

I thought Range Road had one (dealers in Canada, chinese made) but it's not listed anymore on their site? 
The options for other hydraulic units are endless, is there a reason you want a kinetic unit?   I have a Splitfire (double acting) made in Ontario and love it, it'll outwork 2 guys if speed is your thing! 

sum1

Purchased a Super splitter last winter and shipped it to Canada no problem. Had to wait 4 months or so but it was worth it. I see lots of other off brands broken and for sale at the auction I wouldn't waste my time with anything chinese.

47sawdust

sum1

Congratulations, do it right the 1st time.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Gere Flewelling

You will not regret purchasing a SS if you decide to do so.  The only thing needed to keep it operating is a spray can of WD40 to spray the top of the beam once in a while to keep fine bark and tree sap from sticking and building up on the top of the beam where the rack runs. If it happens a small putty knife will clean it right off quickly as well.  I have had great success with mine and have sold off all the old hydraulic units I used for years.  Also important to keep distractions away to keep focus on what you are doing to avoid injuries.  I never split wood around bikini's or cheerleaders. ;)
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

John Mc

Quote from: PoginyHill on January 06, 2022, 09:54:09 AM
DR brand (Country Home Products) has a couple models. Based in Vermont. Cannot speak to their performance, but I own one of their mowers. Good quality.
DR Power does make some kinetic log splitters. I live just a few miles from where one of their factory stores used to be. Their first kinetic log splitter looked so much like a SuperSplit that I called them to see if it was just a rebadged SS in a different color. They dodged all of my questions and talked about their extensive R&D to come up with this. I called SuperSplit to ask if they were selling to DR. "Nope". Turns out that the patent had run out, and DR just copied it... right down to the tiny little details like the shape of the reinforcing gussets at some of the joints. To hear DR's advertising at the time, you'd have though they invented the concept of a kinetic splitter.

DR had significant problems with it. They seemed to be mainly related to low quality steel and poor heat treating of key components like the rack and pinion gears.

After a couple years of that, they redesigned for a look more like their current models, but still had significant problems with their quality - again mostly in the rack and the pinion gears.

They may well have solved those issues by now. I've stopped really following them.

I do occasionally see commercial firewood producers with a SuperSplit or two that they have been using for years. I have never seen a commercial user with a DR splitter of any sort.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Downstream

I would not buy a DR unit.  new or used.

hickernut

I bought a DR Kinetic last year and it broke every time I used it. However, I loved the operation of the Kinetic. Thankfully DR had a great return policy.

Finally decided to order a Super Split and never looked back. So much better built and has a bullet proof Honda engine. I love splitting wood with it. Worth every penny.

Regards,
Hickernut

Thank You Sponsors!