iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conveyers Recs

Started by gaspasser, September 04, 2023, 09:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaspasser

As we all are, I'm trying to achieve OHIO (only handle it once) with firewood. I see new conveyers for about 4-5K (e.g Hudson, Timberwolf) and would load from splitter into dump truck. I see chain vs belt varieties. Also belt with or without paddles. Pros and cons? How practical is it to DIY or adapt a used hay elevator? Thought, comments welcome. Thanks gang.

Old Greenhorn

Most of what I see now are chain link with paddles and boy do they make a lot of annoying noise which to me means wear is taking place and paint is being worn off (where rust is soon to follow). I did see one at Boonville that they had added delrin wear blocks to eliminate the noise and that worked (I think it was Eastonmade). But there were a lot (most) that made a heck of a racket and I noticed the operators had to shut them down to have a conversation with customers. The belts on the other hand are very quiet. Belts don't rust but do wear and can be pricey at replacement time. Just some points to think on. Also, having one with a hydraulic motor that can be tied into your splitter or processor and just run the one engine might be useful. I did like the ones with a drive motor that allowed you to swing it on the fly while still under the splitter to change dump points, but now that can get pricey. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ventryjr

I adapted a single chain skeleton hay elevator for sawdust removal.  I welded paddles on and filled in the trough with sheetmetal. The 1/8" metal paddles wore holes in a few spots of the 24ga filler metal where they rubbed.  I tried to setup the paddles to stay 1/4 off the bottom.    I plan on making a similar setup for firewood. With a hydraulic drive to run on the splitter. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/3_AiE2ZA-Pw?si=1yFaBV5Y3hYTjiYi
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GRANITEstateMP

I picked up a used built-rite this spring. Belt conveyor, belt driven, honda motor that sips fuel, simple and rugged. Quieter than the old splitter its working with

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Gere Flewelling

We started with an old hay elevator with chain and paddles.  We did more work in it than with it.  Wood is just too inconsistent for this type of machine. The smallest sliver would jamb it up and break the chain. Plus the noise was unbearable.  Purchased a Blacks Creek 20 ' conveyor with a belt driven rubber conveyor belt with no paddles. It had a textured belt that worked very well loading over an 8' high truck side.  Matched up with our Super Split splitter, we could split and load wood all day on 2 gallons of gas and all without any hydraulics. Plus it was quiet enough so my son and I could easily communicate without yelling.  Sold the conveyor when the business was done, but miss it greatly.  It seemed like the perfect combination to us back then.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bruno of NH

I think the belts throw the wood further if I'm not mistaken. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

My Dyna processor has a rough texture belt with cleats. My only comaint is that it will freeze to the frame in the winter, and it also builds up with frost and will start to slip. Last winter I kept a garden sprayer with windshield washer fluid handy, and sprayed the back of the belt. That did the trick.
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

Belts are certainly quieter. They can get slick when frozen and cause issues if the angle is steep. Belt tracking can also be an issue. I have never owned one, but a single narrow cleated similar to this "sharp chain" running over a recessed wear strip would be my choice over belts or chain with paddles.

Sharp Chain Systems - Sawmill And Log Processing Machinery - Optimil

sum1

I have a 40' long double chain conveyor with 2" angle between them. It's not that loud certainly the Honda power pack running it is louder.

Made by feversham mfg in Ontario I believe it was $15k with power pack. Originally was after an Easton made but couldn't justify the increased cost or excessive lead time, they would also not match the paint to the bells processor I have.

Had a bale elevator long time ago. If you place the wood on it by hand it works to elevate one singular piece on the hook links.

Thank You Sponsors!