iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Countyline or DR 25T Log Splitter?

Started by GaTrapper, September 28, 2023, 10:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Saw that the DR 25T Log splitter is on sale for the same price as Tractor Supply's CountyLine 25 ton.

What would you go with?

sawguy21

I am not familiar with either brand but I would look for standard fasteners and SAE hydraulic fittings, the offshore metric units can be a nightmare. Same with the off brand engine on the DR, parts and service are likely scarce. jmho.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GaTrapper

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 28, 2023, 11:03:40 AM
I am not familiar with either brand but I would look for standard fasteners and SAE hydraulic fittings, the offshore metric units can be a nightmare. Same with the off brand engine on the DR, parts and service are likely scarce. jmho.
Is there a brand/model you'd recommend in the sub 2k price range?

Brad_bb

I own the 25T Countyline that I bought last December.  I just fueled it up for the first time yesterday and split for about 1-1.5 hours.  Worked well.  Speed was fast enough for me.  I was just using the single split head.  I was splitting Ash and Silver maple mostly.  It bogged a little on some real tuff thumby pieces with twisted grain, but did make it through.  Straight pieces took little effort.  It has a Kohler engine, so should be able to get parts and repair if needed.  I didn't realize there was a log holder accessory available until I just read your other post.  Going to go get that.  I guess I'll have to make an engine guard.  I don't rely on wood for heat.  I bought this primarily to size timber frame pegs -push the riven blanks through a steel die.  I still need to make the fixture for that.  Secondarily it to make firewood from dead and trimmed stuff on my property, and from my sawmill waste slabs or trimmings.  I will have a fireplace/stove insert in the future, but for now I'm giving away my firewood. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ron Wenrich

I've been thinking about getting a log splitter and found that Home Depot has a Champion 34 ton for the same price.  It may vary from area to area.  The  25 ton is cheaper than TSC.  Also has the log cradle.

You can get if fully assembled, but you best check it out before you use it.  Apparently some don't do a very good job at assembly.

I haven't decided whether I'll get one.  I can rent a splitter from the local hardware store for $80/day.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

We had success selling Swisher, the popular 22 ton unit with a Honda GC160 retailed for 2 grand CDN plus pdi. We couldn't include 5 gallons of oil at that price. Anything bigger didn't move. Later I worked for an Oregon distributor but wasn't happy with the build quality, components were misaligned and welds were questionable. They sold well because customers were more concerned with price at least until the unit let them down.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!