iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickaroons--Who Uses Them and What One?

Started by GaTrapper, January 27, 2022, 02:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Just grabbed my first pickaroon at the local Stihl dealer two weeks ago. I went with the Stihl brand pickaroon.  Works darn well and can't believe I waited so long to buy one. Really saves the back.

Is there anything better out there than the Stihl? I am wanting to get a second one and wanted to explore my options and see what y'all had to say.

Thanks! 

stavebuyer

I am on my second Logrite. They have improved the tip over the 1st edition. Wonderful tool. I also kept a D-handle pulp hook when I used to run a box wedge splitter. The D-handled pulp hook works better for yanking around large rounds up close.

GaTrapper

Interesting! They look just like my Stihl pickaroon with a better price tag. I'll have to grab one! 

Where did you order from?

Thanks! 

sum1

I have a husky wood handle and a logrite.

Both work well however my wooden handle is cracked on the husky. 

stavebuyer

Quote from: GaTrapper on January 27, 2022, 03:00:15 PM
Interesting! They look just like my Stihl pickaroon with a better price tag. I'll have to grab one!

Thanks!
Logrite - American Made Log Handling Tools (northernwoodsmen.com)

gspren

Thanks!
Look to the left and in the list of sponsors you will find Logrite, great to deal with, when you call tell them you saw this on the FF forum.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

Thanks!
That is most likely because they make em. They make the stihl canthooks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

luap

Mine is home made   out of a double bitted axe( not by me )  but has always worked well. what works better is when some else is using it.

upnut

I have the 30" hookaroon and the 30" cant hook, both fit perfectly in the box on the kubota along with the saws etc. Both get used extensively...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

stavebuyer

LogRite is a long-time forum sponsor and all-around success story.

I would imagine that dealers, resellers and re-branders are a critical part of their business model. I would be curious to know if they still prefer direct orders or defer to support of their retail partners?

Hilltop366

I have one I made from a piece of pipe and a broken ratchet handle and some ash for the handle

Way easier on the back for picking up wood to split but when the wood gets heavy it starts to get hard on the shoulder. Great for extending your reach too, saves steeps. Have to be careful not to try to hook blocks that makes you swing towards yourself incase the hook glances off the wood and heads for your leg. Either away from yourself to the side or in front if you in a downward motion seems the safest for me.

Later I added a piece of steel to the back to cut apart the occasional stringy piece of fire wood, it's not hardened so it really won't hold a edge but is still handy. I also put it back in the press and put a bit more bend in the hook.

moodnacreek

I use pickaroons  every day mostly for burning big stuff but also in stacking lumber on sticks. When I was younger I did not have the patience for them but that has all changed. They are hung all over the place. I like the real light ones from Peavy with the long ash handles 2 have gone through the slab wood machine, don't do that.

jrsloan1

Use peaveys, cant hooks and pics around the mill all the time for obvious task. For fire wood, went to tractor supply, got a couple of hay hooks and sharpened them well. Probably not as good as the pulp hooks but I got $8 in each. 
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Iwawoodwork

Made mine out of RXR track joining bolts about 8 ' long with a roundhead to pound with. Welded the bolt to a 3/4' pipe about 30' long and covered handle with piece of thin rubber hose, the threaded part I cut to a taper on 4 sides then bent a slight hook at the end. I did weld a brace on each side of the head to handle, used old cycle bar mower teeth, works for me

barbender

I have 2 Logrite hookeroons, and a couple of wood handled ones.  I like the Logrites better in every way EXCEPT the round handle gives you no orientation as far as what way the hook is pointed. I don't know how many times I've bounced that aluminum head off pieces of wood because the hook is turned 90°.
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

I have two that I use and both came from the Peavey Mfg. Co. of Maine. I bought them before I knew of the Forum or Logrite and remain quite happy with them. The first one I bought is around 18" and has a hacking blade on the back.

I use this one for firewood splitting all the time, huge back saver and adds to the length of the work day. That blade on the back is handy for separating the fibers on the splits that won't let go. I could do firewood without it, but I sure wouldn't like it. It does take a little while to hit your handling rhythm but when you do, it becomes closer to effortless getting 10" and under rounds up on the splitter with one hand and almost no bending. I can grab a round with the small one, drag it toward me quickly lifting it off the ground at the same time, swing 180° and drop that round on a pyramid stack just as the hook releases. It just take a little practice.

2 weeks after I got the first one, I bought a 24" without the extra back blade. I use that one for dragging 4 to 10' branches while bucking in the woods. Also recently I have been using it at the mill for putting a good handle on those heavy slabs to pull them off to the side. Works great for that and stacking slabs also.

If I get another one, it will be a logrite for dedicated use at the mill. I tire of carrying tools back and forth and just want to have one that lives there to work with the two biggest Logrite cant hooks we use, both megas.

Very handy tools and underrated by those who haven't tried them yet. I was one of those, but I got converted quick. Oh, and even with a shaped handle you have to be very careful when you swing these things. I have glanced off many pieces and was always lucky that the unplanned landing point for that tip was in a safe place and not my foot or shin.

Good luck with your next choice.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

maineshops

I made my own out of a single bit ax 50 some years ago. It's my go to tool for moving logs now in my 80s it's kind of a necessity'. Went to a fiber plastic handle. Got tired of replacing them. In process I'm making another one to live on the log arch.
Phil:4, 13

Tom King

I keep a 4' aluminum Logrite in the back of my pickup all the time.  It gets used for anything that I can't reach without it-great for unloading hay, and pulling trash out from under the toolbox.

moodnacreek

The fact is that the on all the ones I like, used hard, the handles will not last. That is the cost of the luxury of a flat, small but long, light weight handle with a head that has no bearing. There are many styles of pickaroons made, from hatchet back to replaceable point.

hedgerow

The one I like the best is the Ochsenkopf aluminum one. It comes in several lengths. I use it on my splitter and firewood processor all the time. 

Tam-i-am

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 27, 2022, 07:11:38 PM
LogRite is a long-time forum sponsor and all-around success story.

I would imagine that dealers, resellers and re-branders are a critical part of their business model. I would be curious to know if they still prefer direct orders or defer to support of their retail partners?

We suggest using local dealers or even web dealers that offer sales and shipping deals.  We will not undercut our dealers so we don't have sales.  As for "re-branders", careful because they may look like ours but that's it they only look like ours.  If you want to make sure you are getting a Logrite feel free message me or call us to find out.

We can sell direct if you prefer.  Sometimes we have factory seconds which usually means there is a blemish in the powder coat so we discount them for FF members or walk-ins.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Dave Shepard

I have a LogRite. It's been run over a few too many times, but that doesn't seem to affect functionality. Might have to replace the grip someday. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

trapper

For firewood I use a pulp hook far more than a pickeroon
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Dave Shepard

I use my LogRite mostly for slabs. You can see my orange pulp hook on the fender, which I use for firewood. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I have an orange pulp hook that I got from Wood-Mizer.

But the rest of my log/cant handling tools are Logrite.  The Green Hookaroon is a special issue color and is my go-to firewood handling tool.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Seems like I am the only  one that doesn't like  a round handle and went with the fiskars hookaroon that has an axe type handle that indexes when you grab it without looking. I have abused it pretty  good and am amazed it hasn't  broken  yet. A great tool to have when moving  a pile of firewood that you know has snakes in it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

barbender

Hey I said I can't tell which way my hook is pointed in the dark because of that round handle!😊
Too many irons in the fire

69bronco

I use my Log rite every time I split wood. Real back saver!

Big_eddy

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 28, 2022, 08:47:21 AM
The fact is that the on all the ones I like, used hard, the handles will not last. That is the cost of the luxury of a flat, small but long, light weight handle with a head that has no bearing. There are many styles of pickaroons made, from hatchet back to replaceable point.
I hear you. Sad day yesterday. Good thing I have some hickory drying. 

Unclefish

Had a home made 1 broke it... so I bought 2 Fiskars they are holding up amazingly. 
When I had friends seeing me use it always wanted to try it. So I bought 2 so now I get alittle extra help when someone is around . For reason it fascinates people to stick a  point into a piece wood and drag it out.
Work smarter not harder

gspren

I also like the feel of an oblong handle like my peavey brand pickaroon but would prefer the strength of the Logrite metal handle. If you had or remember the "monster" spliters with the extra heavy wedge and pipe handle, I had two and the older one I picked up at a yard sale had the pipe slightly flattened and was much nicer to use. I wonder if Logrite could figure a way to do that?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!