iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon Bars

Started by Guydreads, September 25, 2022, 10:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guydreads

So, I need a couple new 18" bars in D009. I'm not going to be cutting a ton, just want new bars, cause the older ones are wearing out. The two options I'm interested in are Advancecut, and Versacut. Any experience with these whether they're any good? Or should I completely ignore Oregon bars and go with something better?

sawguy21

Keep the chains sharp and properly tensioned the bar will last a long time regardless of brand. Along with that use a quality brand of clean oil, most problems are caused by lack of care and abuse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigblockyeti

I ordered a 20" Pro-Lite D009 bar in '15 that's held up well but it's often second or third in line of what I'll grab unless I'm felling so not a ton of hours. It's held up great and has no issues yet other than me pinching it once pretty good which didn't hurt it.  I just bought a 32" Power Cut bar also in D009 a couple months ago but it only been used on one 28" tulip poplar so far.  Needless to say a brand new bar with a brand new factory grind chain, the combo did predictably well.  I have no experience with Advancecut or Versacut that I'm aware of.

DHansen

Personal preference and availability will come into play.  I have had no problems with Oregon bars.  The model name on the bars have change over time, with no change to the product.  Powercut also has another model name.  I prefer solid vs laminated bars.  I prefer grease hole on nose sprocket and prefer replaceable nose sprockets.  However I have bars that are laminated, no grease hole and non serviceable nose sprocket.  And they perform well.  When I can no longer clean them up and the rails begin chipping away, I replace the bar.  Bars last a long time when cared for as Sawguy has said.

ehp

versa cut bars are pretty good in my small mind and I run them on the landing saws which is in alot of sand , there cheap to buy here and last as long as any of the other brands doing this job

lxskllr

I'm not really fond of Oregon bars, but I've only used their lower end homeowner type bars. Looking online at the two you listed, the versacut is promoted as being a more durable bar, and it has an extra tooth in the nose sprocket. That means the nose is broader for better borecutting, but it also increases the chance for kickback. If I were to choose between the two, I'd get the versacut.

DHansen

I would agree with the Versacut if chosing between that and the Advance Cut.

Guydreads

That's what I was leaning toward as well. Lighter, probably more durable. Thanks guys!

Al_Smith

I suppose Oregon is about as good as any other brand .Saying that I have 30 40 more bars than I have saws to put them on .One in particular is a 14" hard nose that came on the only new saw I ever bought , a  Poulan S 25 DA in I think 1974 ..I 've dressed that bar more times than I can remember and it plus the saw are still doing fine . I think the key is oil and plenty of it .On that I'm not an oil loyalist because IMO they do about the same the only diff is what you pay for it .---but I don't use old crankcase oil .

Guydreads

Whatever oil I use, I always, unless in case of emergency when it's better to have some oil rather than none, use brand new oil. I don't really care which brand so long as it's good quality oil

Al_Smith

Some years  back when it used to get cold I've went so far as to use automatic transmission fluid because that thick bar and chain oil just would not pump .That was only rare because at 15 below zero was not normally when I used a chain saw . These days it rarely gets below zero which I'm just fine with .If I liked cold weather I'd move to Alaska .NW Ohio is about as far north as I'd prefer to live climate wise .

Tom King

Tsumura, a Japanese company, makes solid bars that seem to me like they're as good as Stihl bars for less money.   By "solid", I mean without the lightweight cutouts and inserts.   Usually, the only mention you see of them is their lightweight bars, but I bought a couple of their solid bars because of the price, and I'll be buying more whenever I need one.

The one for my little 180 seems like it's an exact copy of the Stihl bar, and is even so much of an exact match that I wondered if they made bars for Stihl.

Guydreads

Interesting. Whenever I move back to the States I'll check em out. Since I'm here for long term at the moment, Oregon is one of the only bars I can get my hands on

Al_Smith

Some years back during the up take of wood burning.in 70's to mid 80's Oregon sold a package .Two chains with a bar, two chains and a file .Said it was enough sharp chain, semi chisel to cut a cord of wood .When the chains became useless the idea was to change the bar and all .It was a banana bar, not reversible .Basically a piece of junk ,you could spin the sprocket off after about two more chains .Been there and done that .I've still got the saw McCulloch PM 610 .As far as I know the old chains and bars might be part of a fender for a Toyoda .

Thank You Sponsors!