iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling log siding - what setup would you suggest?

Started by JP135, October 27, 2011, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP135

The original plan for my mill included cutting siding for our existing house, garage and barn. I plan to make siding on the mill - maybe natural edge, maybe log profile. Mama and I like both but lean toward log profile.

I started looking at molder/planers. Obviously Woodmaster's 712 and 718 showed up on my radar. At $1695, doing all three jobs would more than pay for the machine and at the end I'd have the machine to make moldings, etc. Problem is, to cut the face with a log profile and then get the tongue and groove on the top and bottom edges, I'd have to add Woodmaster's three-side molding system which more than doubles the price of the machine. And that put the Woodmaster out of my range.

Using the Woodmaster with a separate router table to cut the T&G would add steps to the process, but would keep the cost down. That may be an option.

What other brands/setups would YOU suggest to make log profile siding with T&G? I need to keep it affordable! 

hackberry jake

$1695 for the 712, at least $500 for knives. $700 for propack. $600 for dust collection system. It adds up pretty quick.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

The log profile siding that I have seen didn't have T&G.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

If you looked around you could either find a second hand one on somewhere like sawmill exchange theres one there for $1500 with a pro pack that says it has had minimal use under 30hrs but its in Colorado   ;) or you could mill the timber yourself and put the money towards getting it custom planed at a larger mill mate ;)

I myself would not go anything less than a ph260 for planing and molding and after seeing the ph360 at baileys im thinkn I gotta get me one off them one day  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

paul case

Oh man that is so cool.

If I  had one of those I could swuare up a cant and then make it round again. :)

All joking aside, I like mine a little more rustic than that. You can buy that log siding cant you?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Quote from: paul case on October 28, 2011, 05:30:45 AM
Oh man that is so cool.

If I  had one of those I could swuare up a cant and then make it round again. :)

All joking aside, I like mine a little more rustic than that. You can buy that log siding cant you?

PC

I got Me one a these things to play with Paul you can start with a round log  ;) www.woodlandia.ca/machines/combined-log-lathe thats me in the little green tractor loading a log into the lathe in the middle pic & we also have the full round master log building line here too  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris

JP135

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 28, 2011, 01:43:19 AM
$1695 for the 712, at least $500 for knives. $700 for propack. $600 for dust collection system. It adds up pretty quick.
Yes sir, and add another $1895 ($200 more than the machine it attaches to) for the three-sided attachment and it gets real ugly real fast.

Quote from: Meadows Miller on October 28, 2011, 02:54:35 AM
Gday

If you looked around you could either find a second hand one on somewhere like sawmill exchange theres one there for $1500 with a pro pack that says it has had minimal use under 30hrs but its in Colorado   ;) or you could mill the timber yourself and put the money towards getting it custom planed at a larger mill mate ;)

Regards Chris
The used route is probably the way to go. I actually called another sawyer in Greenville, Tx to see about taking him my boards - I spent 15 minutes carefully explaining that I have a mill and tried to get him to understand that I can mill logs into boards milled into siding. He'd reply "Yep, I can mill your logs!" or "I'm not sure I know what log siding is" (meanwhile his craigslist ad advertises that he makes log siding). I finally just gabe up. He was NOT the sharpest tool in the shed.

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 28, 2011, 03:30:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyNh39oUnvE
If I already had an LT15,  I'd go this away.
Already spoke to the WM Texas ASC - that MP100 rig only works to make a log. If I was doing new construction and could use logs, that'd be the way to fly, but I need siding.

Quote from: paul case on October 28, 2011, 05:30:45 AM
Oh man that is so cool. If I  had one of those I could square up a cant and then make it round again. :)

PC

MUCH laughter at squaring just to make it round again. Well sure you can buy it... but you can also buy lumber, but everybody here chooses to 'roll their own'.

WDH

You might consider milling the wood and take it somewhere that is already set up to make the log siding and pay them to do it.  That will cost you a fraction of what it would cost for you to buy the equipment and only use it once for this job.  That investment would seem to be too high unless you ran the equipment often.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

Now I aint the sharpest marble, but ...
It seems to me if the WM outfit is set up on anLT15 track, couldnt you square a cant, run one pass with the moulder head making the log profile, then cut a board off with that profile and then do it again?
If not, Why didn't WM think of this?

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Chuck White

Exactly what I was thinking Paul!  ;)

Could cut several pieces of siding from one cant!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

Quote from: paul case on October 28, 2011, 08:36:37 AM
It seems to me if the WM outfit is set up on anLT15 track, couldnt you square a cant, run one pass with the moulder head making the log profile, then cut a board off with that profile and then do it again?

PC
Quote from: Chuck White on October 28, 2011, 08:55:26 AM
Exactly what I was thinking Paul!  ;)

Could cut several pieces of siding from one cant!

Yea. Why not?  The only problem I'd see is maybe bow due to stress.  But you could flip the cant after each pass.

Another idea.  If you did't have to make millions and millions,  you could use the Lathe-Mizer and make rounds and then saw off the faces.

There is a log home place near here that makes siding just that way.  They run cants through their shaper to make house logs and then use a bandmill to rip off the two faces to make siding.  They use some siding on each house on the gable ends, etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JP135

Quote from: paul case on October 28, 2011, 08:36:37 AM

PC

Agreed, but it's lots of steps. Cut the cant, run the moulded over it. Run the saw back over to cut the board from the cant. Then I'd still have to run some kind of stand-alone router to cut the T & G. Plus it costs more money than the fully outfitted rig from Woodmaster. More money + more work + need for additional tool for T & G = fail.

What I'm trying to find is something capable of three-sided milling with enough guts to cut the log profile and not cost a king's ransom. Said machine may not exist.

paul case

You want cheaper version of log siding?
find some logs that are pretty much the ''right size'' and cutt 2 opposing sides down to the width you want your siding to be. Then cut off a log siding board on the other 2 sides. peel the bark before or after and you got log siding. You could easily edge your slabs to the right size also. If it has to be perfect, go to the lumber yard and get it.  PC
pc

red oaks lumber

find someone that can machine the siding for you. we start with a full 2x8 and machine it into 1/2 log siding, using the customers lumber we charge .16 b.f  so that makes it affordable.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Larry

Quote from: JP135 on October 28, 2011, 10:09:54 AM
What I'm trying to find is something capable of three-sided milling with enough guts to cut the log profile and not cost a king's ransom. Said machine may not exist.

Sure they exist, you just have to look and possibly be a bit creative.

Not much difference between a Belsaw and a Woodmaster other than a $1,000 bill.  No variable speed on a Belsaw so you will have to change a sprocket.  While those machines are fully capable of making siding there far too light for any kind of serious production.

I saw a 4 sided Yates American sell at auction with log siding cutters a while back for around $600.  Ready to run...course it might take something more than a pickup to haul it home as they weigh 8,000 pounds.  The lady that bought it, told me they were going to cut nuff siding for I think 3 houses, than resell the machine. 

Older moulders are selling near scrap prices now.  Online and sawmill auctions would be a good place to find prices and maybe a deal.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Meadows Miller

Larry do you remember the womans name or details I might buy it off her those Yates/Americans are the ducks nuts for big section planing Mate  ;)

Larry

Sorry, I don't recall.  I was thinking at the time I ought to get her name just in case I needed one. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JP135

Thanks, everybody!

I'll do more checking around on having my boards milled. .16 is plenty cheap.

The Belsaw may be a route to look at too - I knew there had to be something besides WoodMaster, just didn't know where to look.

I'll start looking at some auctions too.

Thank You Sponsors!