iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats The Problem With Souther Pine As Firewood?

Started by plaindriver, December 09, 2011, 06:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

Whats the reap against using southern pine in the living room fireplace? Is it good to use or does it gunk up the chimney?
I am a newbie and currently know only slightly less than zero.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

TreeWinder

If the pine is not seasoned well it will smoke and creosote your stack, if it is nice and dry it'll burn hot and very quick.  Occasional use is fine to set the mood
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

Ianab

As long as it's dry and you keep a nice hot fire burning it wont create much creosote. If it's not dry and/or you let it smoulder - not so good.

It's much lighter than most hardwoods, so you will burn more volume. Heat per pound is about the same, and it does burn with a hot "cheerful" sort of fire.

If you get the wood for free, then burn in. If you are buying by the cord, buy better stuff if you can. But 90% of the firewood burnt here in NZ is pine.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buck

Seasoning is the key as with any firewood. Most wood fired cooking(not smokin ;)) around here is done with pine. Old timers swore it was a more consistent heat.  Aah? I don't know but I do like to burn some along with other seasoned wood.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

OK as long as it is dry as has been said.  Any wet wood that burns cool and smoldery will create creosote, not just pine.  Pine has gotten somewhat of a bad rap in some respects. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dean186

Quote from: WDH on December 09, 2011, 09:57:02 PM
Pine has gotten somewhat of a bad rap in some respects.

Yes, it does seem that pine gets a bad rap.  We back to national forest, and the forest service had loggers behind our property a few years back logging the fir and pine for construction lumber.  The loggers left the crooked trees to be sold as firewood.  I purchased some of the firewood by permit for $10.00 per cord.

I have heard some say, they wouldn't take pine firewood for free, but the same person will go to the lumber yard and pay for a 2x4 made of pine or fir and build a house with it.   Also, the same person would most likely burn the end pieces of the 2x4's in the fireplace.  Just saying ...  :-) 

RobbyRob

If pine is all you can get then use it.
Just clean your chimney often.
Watch for crackling and sparks as pine has a tendency to do that.
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

Jack72

Is most pallets made of pine?

I burn alot of pallet type wood with mine and mix in firewood it burns great in  mine
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

smalldog

I won't burn white pine because it burns dirty, but it seems scotch pine is ok.
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

bandmiller2

Pine burned with plenty of oxygen will burn clean when a stove or furnace is stoked with a big load of pine and choked down, is when you plug your chiminey.I burn some in my furnace when I'am around as it dosen't last for squat. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

BillNH

I'll burn it as long as I mix it in with hard woods.

John Mc

Nothing wrong with Pine, you just have to burn more of it to get the same heat. Though if you are burning wood in a typical fireplace, you are probably losing heat, rather than gaining it (the draft up the chimney can pull heat out of the room).

It's a myth that burning pine is the cause of creosote formation in chimneys. What causes creosote formation is burning wet/unseasoned wood, or burning any wood improperly (burning a colder, smoldering fire and/or starving the fire for oxygen).

Dry your pine well and enjoy the fire!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pineywoods

pine was the wood of choice in the old cast iron kitchen cook stoves. Dry pine in small sticks makes a hot fire in a hurry, just doesn't last very long. Keeping the fire stoked wasn't much of a problem, granny was usually right there.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Piston

I mill mostly pine, and cut up and burn the slabs.  Last month I burned nothing but pine slab wood for 7 days in a row.  Didn't hear the furnace kick on one time during that whole week, with nothing more than what most people consider 'trash' firewood.  ;D
I'm burning EWP for what it's worth, in a cat wood stove.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

bull

not sure about southern pine "most likely more pitch"... I burn plenty of white pine, burns clean in my boiler.

bama20a

Quote from: Jack72 on December 11, 2011, 06:59:38 AM
Is most pallets made of pine?

I burn alot of pallet type wood with mine and mix in firewood it burns great in  mine
Jack: most pallets thst I've seen are some type of hard wood,don't recall seeing any made of pine.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

LeeB

I guess that depends on where you are. Plenty of pallets in the south made of pine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

You have to have something to do with sweetgum, sycamore, blackgum, hackberry, and elm  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Last year I put SYP slabs out as "FREEWOOD".  All of it was gone in less than 12 hours.  There were some very appreciative people loading it up.  The key to burning any wood species is to adjust the draft so that it burns properly.  Think....Hot enough.

FREEWOOD   ;)

Going   :o

Gone.   :)   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

We don't burn it around here because we don't have any to speak of .However a couple of nice half green pine slabs in a camp fire does repel bugs .If the wind is blowing just right it repels people too .

Thank You Sponsors!