iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new splitter

Started by maple flats, December 25, 2011, 08:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I just got something I planned ever since seeing one demo'd at Sawlex in WV. I got a Super Split, assembled it Thursday morning but did not have time to try it out.
Friday morning I fired it up and WOW. That is FAST, for sure. My problem now is I'll need more help. One saw man to buck the blocks, 2 more to keep the blocks where I can reach them and 3 or 4 to remove and stack the split wood. This thing made a 1 man slow job into a super fast 7 or 8 man job.
It was splitting everything 1st wack, so I looked for the knottiest piece I could find. That stopped the ram, only about 1' into the wood, I pushed the operating lever down and lifted again, as I did that the ram instantly retracted and extended again, penetrating another 3" or so, I retracted the ram and the 3rd extension of the ram finished the job. Total time about 8 or 9 seconds. Less than my old hydraulic splitter takes on every stroke, and that one (only 20 ton) often balked at a piece like my new SS did in under 10 seconds. The hydraulic had about a 20 second cycle time and that has a 6.5 horse engine, running full speed, the SS has a 4 horse Honda, running just over half throttle.
I only had about 30 minutes to use it that day, but I filled the back of my F250 in that time. That was many times faster than the hydraulic. If I had lots of elm to split, I would keep the hydraulic, but I only have a couple in my whole woods.
Tomorrow I'll split for up to 2 hrs and that should create a large pile to stack. This is just splitting my house wood that has been down and blocked all summer except the ash.
After seeing the SS in WV I knew I was going to get one as soon as my hydraulic failed. Again I saw the SS in action as a component of the processor Logrite makes using the SS splitter. Logrite's is good, but I just did not need the extras. I do think I may make a log table for sawing and staging to feed the splitter sometime. My excavator will load the deck so I won't need other lifting technology.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

thecfarm

I saw an electric one at a show. Seemed real odd to see it split nice and quiet. They are fast.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jack72

Send some pictures if you can of the new splitter        thanks 
  Jack           
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Holmes

Great review maple flats.   I have an electric SS I bought used 2 months ago. It is amazingly quiet, love it.
Think like a farmer.

maple flats

Quote from: Jack72 on December 25, 2011, 08:44:20 AM
Send some pictures if you can of the new splitter        thanks 
  Jack           
I'll get some pictures and send. I might give another try at putting pics in my album.
Merry Christmas to all,
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

I considered getting the electric but decided I wanted the mobility more. My Honda 4 hp at just over 1/2 throttle is fairly quiet, nothing like my old Hydraulic 6 hp Briggs at full throttle. I still don't have pictures. I need to fell more trees just to get them because I split the last half dozen trees without help and I can't take a picture when I split, it moves too fast. I might someday actually do some video and put it up on u-tube. That would likely come after maple season.

bandmiller2

Flats,your going to love that Super Split.I have my bandmill set up at a tree service co. they have split mountains of hardwood abd the SS just keeps on truckin.There a local company,spent alot of time talking with the owner Paul.The work is lifting the chunks to the table,I would make a deck the same hight as the splitter so you won't have to lift chunks.A coveyer at the tail end and have at it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

brendonv

I put another hour and a half on mine today after work.  I love that splitter too!  Bought it new a few months ago, splits everything I have had put on it so far.  All my wood is from residential tree removals too, knotty, squirrely, anything.  Just have to pick up my conveyor and I'll be loving life.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Thank You Sponsors!