iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Continous Duty Winch for a Dump Trailer

Started by YellowHammer, March 04, 2012, 10:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I have a dump trailer that I would like to add a dedicated winch for dragging logs to the trailer and into the bed.  I've tried small electric winches up to 4,000 lbs and they were too weak and kept running the batteries down.  I'm thinking I want 8,0000 lbs pull or better.  I've looked at stronger electric winches and they don't have the duty rating I want (they only have 2 minutes pulling, 20 minutes cool down).  I've looked at the hydraulics such as Mile Marker and they have the duty cycle but will require me to mount an internal combustion engine to the trailer for the hydraulic supply.  I've looked at the Lewis winch but it seems a little light on power at ony 4,000 rated pull.  I've looked at the capstan winches, too, but they didn't have the power I wanted, either.  Does anybody have any ideas? Have I missed some other good alternative?
Thanks
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

flyboy16101

If you go with the hydralic why would you need a combustion engine when you could just run another electric pump or plumb it into the the existing pump for the dump hoist?
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

EricR

if you wanted to run a hydraulic winch you could get a belt driven pump with an electric clutch to run off your truck engine and just run 2 lines to the rear with quick couplers on them.  You could also run your dump trailer on them if you didnt want to deal with a battery anymore.  I dont know what kind of truck you have but some you can put a pto on the transfercase or transmission and run a pump from that.  For the price of a new hydraulic winch you could probabally pick up a used 3 point winch and mount that on your trailer tongue and run it with a hydraulic motor.  Then you wouldnt have to worry about cycle times and would probabally have a much faster line retrieve.

apm

Mile Marker and I think Warn make hydraulic winches with kits to plumb them into your power steering circuit. Seems like a pretty good option for hydraulics.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Thank You Sponsors!