iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BEFORE PEOPLE SPEND MONEY ON A MILL DO LOTS OF RESREACH!!!!

Started by Larrywoodsaw, May 03, 2013, 01:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1woodguy

If sawmills are like any other piece of equipment or tools in general.
Everyone expects a certain amount of quality sometimes you get it sometimes you don't.
  Occasionally something surprises me and it works super well and lasts and lasts
  Then I buy another like it same brand model  and it sucks :D

As an example I use quite afew power tools like certain brands for certain type tools
Usually I have good luck with them.....but I have had problems with drills in the past I got 5 or 6 in a row
They were pieces of trash,at the time it seemed like only I had the problem with the drills so naturally it had to be how I was using it tearing them up somehow
  I lucked out and got into a bad batch of drills and as I returned them I was getting others from the same batch
   So I switched to different brand drills
Later As gifts I received yellow drills.  That work fine.

I like Dodge trucks have owned ford and Chevy ect.  Buy a dodge was my motto for years ..... Until I bought a new one that spent more time in the shop than with me the first 5or6months
   my idea of how it should run or what was ok and how the dealer seen things wasn't quite the same
they kind of got it running
    I thought  it sucked all the while I had it(I complained to others about it and a guy I knew thought it was fine as is. He ended up owning it made a deal with credit union we both were members of)I lost abit of change with that deal and got a Chevy
  My problem was I owned same model dodge two years older same tranny and hemi motor it ran a heck of a lot better and I felt the new one should run like it or better

have gotten tools that I assumed would be just perfect to accomplish whatever it was I was fixin to do and at times tools wasn't designed to do that
It wasn't tools fault
   Some winches will pick up 3 or 4 times what they are rated at afew times  :D
some seem able to run all day
Some burn up or should be rated 1/2 of what they say

What's the best hammer to drive 16's with ??? I used several different hammers nail guns in the past   Finally now
  I like to use a twenty lb post maul with a 12 /14 inch handle  :)
IT'S THE BEST WAY!!! The only right way and its how real men do it!!!!

Get them in with one tap

Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

ladylake

Realy can't except a $2800 mill to be as well built as a $6000 mill.  On a small mill I'd be looking at the frame, logs stop and lod dogs the most.  Guide rollers etc can be switched out to good ones.  steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Raider Bill

Quote from: jcbrotz on May 05, 2013, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: woodweasel on May 05, 2013, 11:56:17 AM
Research,Research,Research, Once I determine a Brand I look at the model
I would like to get, as if $$$ were no object!! Which of course it is! I then back down to the Best Model I can afford!! This has served me well!! Sooo
if you buy a truck, buy a Ford! If you buy a tractor, buy a John Deere! If you buy a motorcycle,buy a Harley! If you buy a mill buy a Wood-mizer!!
Just saying! ;D ;D :D :D 8) ;D ;D

I agree with all but the Ferd word. :D Someday you will may learn. :D :D

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Jeff

Some people get on here and make statements that put a manufacturer in a no-win position. Their best plan of action in most cases is just to be silent, and try to work things out the best they can with a difficult situation.   These same people making these statements however do not stop to realize, that most of the time, I have a pretty direct connection to the other side of each story, but out of respect for the sponsors of the Forestry Forum and their procedures, I keep my information private for myself and the other admins. This helps us make administrative and moderation decisions based on the whole story, not just one side.

Just something to think about.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

5quarter

Man, that wasn't fair...hittin a guy with a mater stuffed with GRITS!    arg-smiley

Please excuse me while I trudge out to the sprinkler. steve_smiley
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

haywire woodlot

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 09, 2013, 09:31:38 AM
Quote from: jcbrotz on May 05, 2013, 01:25:11 PM
Quote from: woodweasel on May 05, 2013, 11:56:17 AM
Research,Research,Research, Once I determine a Brand I look at the model
I would like to get, as if $$$ were no object!! Which of course it is! I then back down to the Best Model I can afford!! This has served me well!! Sooo
if you buy a truck, buy a Ford! If you buy a tractor, buy a John Deere! If you buy a motorcycle,buy a Harley! If you buy a mill buy a Wood-mizer!!
Just saying! ;D ;D :D :D 8) ;D ;D

I agree with all but the Ferd word. :D Someday you will may learn. :D :D

Here's the view from my window!

Dave

Magicman

Nice view.  I wish that I had friends in high places.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

two-legged-sawmill

Hey MM, You do have friends in High Places!  You don't get to be 69 without knowing the right one.
Research is great, but following instuction on how to use is more Critical.
Many great comments along the way, and i'll leave it at that.
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Magicman

Quote from: two-legged-sawmill on May 10, 2013, 01:17:21 PMHey MM, You do have friends in High Places!  You don't get to be 69 without knowing the right one. 
I guess that I really do not need but one.   :)

If I can pass on something of value to others, then my rambling are a worthwhile.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jfastman

I joined this forum a few months ago to do research, ask questions and learn what it takes to be a Sawyer. I've been looking at hobby mills to support my wood shop hobbies at home. I think I've read a thousand threads on this site regarding what machine to own and the problems that arise with different models. I understand the frustration that may happen when encountering problems with a new machine but I don't think this forum was the place to sling mud around about a forum sponsor. Any problems should be dealt with the manufacturer directly. If the problems were or weren't resolved, then maybe it's alright to post your experiences. 
I'm looking at the LT10 or LT15 and the Woodland Mills. I've watched all the videos I could find on the internet and have seen WM shows at the Baltimore Woodworking shows. I still haven't made up my mind if I really want to do this. The more I learn about what it takes to own a saw, the more I realize that I'll need more equipment to handle logs and space to dry the boards.
I still haven't had a chance to lend anyone a hand with their operation. I absolutely want to do that before I even consider owning a sawmill.
-J

barbender

I'd definitely want to see the mill I was considering in person before I bought one.
Too many irons in the fire

Nomad

Quote from: jfastman on May 14, 2013, 02:22:58 PM
I joined this forum a few months ago to do research, ask questions and learn what it takes to be a Sawyer. I've been looking at hobby mills to support my wood shop hobbies at home. I think I've read a thousand threads on this site regarding what machine to own and the problems that arise with different models. I understand the frustration that may happen when encountering problems with a new machine but I don't think this forum was the place to sling mud around about a forum sponsor. Any problems should be dealt with the manufacturer directly. If the problems were or weren't resolved, then maybe it's alright to post your experiences. 
I'm looking at the LT10 or LT15 and the Woodland Mills. I've watched all the videos I could find on the internet and have seen WM shows at the Baltimore Woodworking shows. I still haven't made up my mind if I really want to do this. The more I learn about what it takes to own a saw, the more I realize that I'll need more equipment to handle logs and space to dry the boards.
I still haven't had a chance to lend anyone a hand with their operation. I absolutely want to do that before I even consider owning a sawmill.
-J

Just my personal opinion here.  But before I even considered what mill to buy, or even being sure if I wanted one, I'd get together with a sawyer and work with him for a couple of days.  The time you use doing that will be well spent.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Banjo picker

I have had Cooks send folks to my mill to off bear and run the mill for an evening ...thats the best way to see how one works...I did the same before I bought mine....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

hunterbuild

Sometime you just have to jump in and work on it till it works. I had some problems with my $1700.00 Harbor Freight mill, but I never looked back. Fixed it and made it work. I'm sawing a lot of wood and building with it as fast as I can. I saw two days and build. Then saw some more. I just ordered a 13hp motor for it, but I don't know if I need it. It has handled everything I put on it so far, including a 20" oak. That was a little slow going. I have got some good mod ideas here, and will make some more log dogs and stops. Every time I pull a board off I chuckle. I'm so glad I didn't give up. By the way the woodland mill is basically a HF with some up grades.

Kingcha

I joined the forum last year to do research and was looking at a number of different mills.   My first thought was to get in as cheap as I could.   Well then changed as I did research.   As I added minimums that I wanted for my mill I knew I was going to spend more i had first planned.       Service after buying mill, resale of the mill and something I would not grow out of to fast.   

As I thought about it more, even my location changed of where the mill was going to be.    So even though I had been sold on Diesel, the fact that I was going to be closer to power(a lean to on the pole barn) I was able to switch to going electric. I never planned on going portable once I learned that you really need to big to go portable(hydraulic).

Bottom line is I think you have to know yourself, your budget and your goals.   I had never even run a mill or even gone and seen one run.  Should I have, maybe.  But I know myself fairly well.   I do my research and I prefer jumping in with both feet and I learn best doing and making mistakes. 

If your budget is tight then maybe you had been search out a Sawyer for some help, run a mill.   Myself I spent many hours online watching video and reading. 

In the end I agree spend sometime researching and if you know yourself then trust yourself.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

delvis

I have to agree with Larry.  I bought an expensive mill the first time around after doing two years worth of research online and looking through brochures.  I simply wasn't sold on Woodmizer's cantilevered head system and thought there was no way it could match a full frame four post head. 

I bought the other mill from a company that is now out of business and four and a half years later sold it and bought a Woodmizer.  You get what you pay for and even as a hobbyist you don't have to pay that much to get into a WM mill. 

Honestly, it's like a buying a car made in an actual factory versus one your neighbor put together with what he had lying around.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Thank You Sponsors!