iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Splitter

Started by kmorgan, November 09, 2013, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmorgan

Ok, I have thought about building my own splitter, but when a new one with a Honda motor is 1200 it seem's pointless to reinvent the wheel to split wood. Is there a benefit to building your own? I can weld and fab anything. Just not sure its worth the trouble. I am sure you all have your feelings on this, so sense I am on the fence please someone push me off.

turnkey

Quote from: kmorgan on November 09, 2013, 10:41:29 PM
Ok, I have thought about building my own splitter, but when a new one with a Honda motor is 1200 it seem's pointless to reinvent the wheel to split wood. Is there a benefit to building your own? I can weld and fab anything. Just not sure its worth the trouble. I am sure you all have your feelings on this, so sense I am on the fence please someone push me off.

In general, if you have to buy all iron and fittings you will spend double what a new machine would cost.

Homebuilt is nice as you can make it to suit your taste with things either unavailable on commercial splitter or not the way you want them.

I homebuilt mine in 1986 as I couldn't afford a "storebought" and could scrounge all the iron and fittings except the hoses and engine.  Replaced it with a Troybilt in 2009. 

Harry K

Gunny 1992

Well Mr. Morgan, all I can say is everything depends on what you want.  I just purchased an Iron and Oak 30 ton splitter myself.  I have alot of friends that I could have used to assist in building a splitter but chose this machine because it is what I wanted.  Enough power, speed, and durability to last years and years.  Yea, I don't know about building cost more than purchase?  The splitter I purchased is well over $2K.  Not to mention the friends coming over and assisting may mostly be assisting me get rid of some beverages I have stocked in the fridge.  Everything is up to YOU and WHAT YOU want the machine to do.  What type of wood, how old/physical limits you have, what you prefer?  Good luck with your choice!
Few saws, few axes, few exes, less money!

Gunny

thecfarm

I don't have the smarts to build one. What I mean is,trial and error can get kinda pricey. I don't know much about hyds either. But I guess I would if I built one.
I have always liked UN hooker splitter.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56449.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I bought mine from the local rental store.  It had been used for a year and was ½ price.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gunny 1992

No problems with that splitter since 2010 Magicman?  How much have you put through it?  Guesstimate?  Sounds like a great deal, just surprised a rental company rented that unit just because it is classified as more of a homeowner brand.  Most rental units use commercial units to avoid problems/maintenance issues.  Nothing wrong with it at all, I probably would have scooped that up for that price and resold it.  Woodsplitters around Michigan go for big money.  Thinking about getting timberwolf or Iron and Oak stickers and putting them on regular old splitting axes and selling them for a small fortune.  The sad thing is they will probably sell!  What I can get sued, copyright things?  Oh well I didn't say that! 

Gunny

Gunny 1992

Hey Mr. Morgan, I have heard positive things about all kinds of splitter brands.  Many people talk up the Huskee brands for the money.  Like I said earlier in the thread.  Do alot of research for what you want.  Motor is always a huge debate and tonnage as well.  Hope this helps, any direct questions fire away.  Good luck again.

Gunny

Magicman

Gunny, I have had no problems whatsoever with the splitter.  Although compared with you, we burn relatively little firewood here, but I have been furnishing 4 homes with firewood, so it is used.

I think that this "homeowner style" splitter was a trial for the rental store to see if it would hold up.  I have no idea what they are using now, I just know that I snapped that unit up quickly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I just have a homeowners one. When I first started to use it,I did not split much over 18 inches across. Most smaller than that. Than I brought an OWB.Most times I buy things bigger than what I need,because 4-5 years down the road things change,like mine OWB.I have been splitting white pine up to 3 feet across with it.It does it very easily,so far. Some of the knots and crotches it even shears the wood,because it can't split it. It does split vertical too.That's how the big ones gets split. I split it up in pieces that I can pick up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Oliver1655

I prefer a dedicated horizontal where the rounds are pushed past the wedge which is fastened to the beam.  As this style is rarely seen at box stores, I chose to build my own. 

It has a log lift, out feed tables, 4-way wedge (removable), & an oil cooler.  I used an 11 hp Greyhound (Harbor Freight) engine, Haldex 16 gpm 2 stage pump, & a 4x24" 2,500 psi tie rod cylinder.  It generates approximately 15.7 tons & will split most rounds up to 24" without a problem.  For real gnarly pieces I remove the 4-way.  Using scrap metal I have less than $1200 in it.   8)   

Another very important factor is it was built to be a comfortable height for me.  The horizontal/vertical splitters sit to low for me.

So for me was it worth the time & effort to build my own?  You bet!!!  ;D
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

beenthere

Oliver
That must be it in your avitar. Do you have some larger pics to post?  Would be interested in seeing your build. Sounds like a good one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tiewire

I made my splitter. At first I thought I wanted one that went horizontal or vertical for the bigger ones. I realized quickly that I did not care to split in the vertical position. Hurts my back so I added boom as an after thought. Could not be happier with boom, a real back saver. Hope pictures work.

Al_Smith

I made mine which has a way too heavy beam,W10-72.11 HP Electric start IC industrial Briggs( ball bearing crank ) ,16 GPM pump and 5 inch Parker super duty cylinder .I can  tilt it if I want to and usually do because I split some pretty good sized stuff .

I had most of the stuff about. With 200 for the engine ,price of pump ,engine adaptor and detent valve I still had over 500 in it .It's a dandy though .Took me about 4 days to build it more or less .

kmorgan

I guess the reason I asked is because I am a machinist and we have a fab shop in-house. So I can get metal and most anything I need. I also have a farmer buddy that has pistons and a small trailer that I can have for an base. So its about getting a motor and the hydro stuff for me and the time. Like most people time is hard to come by and when I have extra I tend to hang out with kids and wife. So thanks for the help and suggestions :P. I am still thinking about it and might just have to build my own. I love the cherry picker on top of the one posted.

WSD

I agree with Gunny about the Iron & Oaks  they are top notch wood splitters splitters and American made.   I like the bigger tires on the horizontal units.  The 4 way wedge is a bit spendy but a nice set up.

North River Energy

QuoteOk, I have thought about building my own splitter, but when a new one with a Honda motor is 1200 it seem's pointless to reinvent the wheel to split wood. Is there a benefit to building your own? I can weld and fab anything. Just not sure its worth the trouble. I am sure you all have your feelings on this, so sense I am on the fence please someone push me off.

Presumably you can either borrow or rent something representing what the market has to offer?

Spend a few hours with that machine, and if, as a machinist, you're not offended by it's failings, then go buy yourself a splitter.

Otherwise, make a list of all the things you could improve upon, and build your own. 

It's not that tough, and then you'll have the right tool for the job. 

Your job.  Not the job determined by price point and marketing needs.

Al_Smith

Well you know it just depends on what you split how to build it .Every so often I get into 4 foot stuff .Now wouldn't that be a chore if the splitter would not tip up ?You'd need a skidloader or something .

Some folks never get into anything larger than 20 inchs so a straight horizontal machine would work out fine for them .

John Mc

Quote from: Oliver1655 on November 12, 2013, 02:56:20 PM... I used an 11 hp Greyhound (Harbor Freight) engine, Haldex 16 gpm 2 stage pump, & a 4x24" 2,500 psi tie rod cylinder.  It generates approximately 15.7 tons & will split most rounds up to 24" without a problem.  For real gnarly pieces I remove the 4-way.  Using scrap metal I have less than $1200 in it.

You realize, of course that if you were selling this unit commercially, you'd have to advertise it as a 25 ton unit.  That's what just about everyone in the industry does (with the exception of Timberwolf).  If you run the calculations on the cylinder size and the actual hydraulic pressure they set them at, you'll see that the actual tonnage if far less than what they advertise.  I spoke with the maufacturer of my unit about this (not complaining, since it splits what I need it to). They said they advertise them that way, because that's what the big name guys do, so the rest follow suit, so as not to have their splitters seem wimpy when the specs are compared.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Gunny 1992

Yea, WSD the 4 way is pricey.  What am I saying the whole darn unit is pricey.  Well Morgan another option for you is what Oliver1655 is using.  That is the Harbor Freight motor that all sell for great prices.  I know, I know, China my A@%.  If the thing is doing what most people are saying they do then I'll save a few hundred in a minute.  Do not own one but I have heard very little in the way of negative.

Gunny

Oliver1655

I have many, many hours on my "Greyhound" - Harbor Freight engine. It starts on the first pull 98% of the time. Occasionally it will take 2 pulls unless I forget to shut the fuel off before moving it around & cause it to flood. It is electric start but I only hook a battery up to it when it is hot outside & I want to use a power inverter connected to the battery to run the fan on the oil cooler.  I am very happy with it! 
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

petefrom bearswamp

Built mine in 1978.
Original Craftsman 8hp engine lasted 18 years or so and now have a Honda 5.5 which does the trick and is very easy on gas.
Axle and wheels from a 1956 IH 3/4 ton pickup.
Heavy H beam, Cross hyd pump, valve and cylinder.
Tried a 4 way but didn't like it as the 5.5 probably wasn't enough engine plus I had it permanently welded on.
Many hundreds of cords of wood processed with this outfit.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

21incher

I built my own because I could not find one that was comfortable to use. I built it at standup height and you just turn the log to split. It also has a log loader powered by a winch for the big ones. Powered by a enclosed 12 hp kohler from a cub cadet. I can split 20 fc in no time and not get a sore back. Here are some pics.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gspren

21incher, I like that rig! You don't happen to like John Deere equipment do you?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

CRThomas

Quote from: kmorgan on November 09, 2013, 10:41:29 PM
I built a electric 20 ton I could have bought one from Log Splitter and saved $1000.00 but you know people don't have forward site only hind site

Thank You Sponsors!