iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats Your Big 3 of Firewood?

Started by ReggieT, January 26, 2014, 06:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Well now Swampish I'm sure you heard of pizz elm .Now there's a certain willow tree tree too but in the interest of not being red carded I'll let your imagination figure that one out .

That said or eluded to something that really stinks,male mulberry .It's a second cousin to osage orange.The females produce the berrys the birds ingest and practice their dive bombing methods over your freshly washed automobile .

gspren

On the subject of maple my OWB don't like it but we take wood from the same pile up to our cabin and burn it in a heat-a-lator fireplace and it burns great. I think the OWB shutting the air off and on isn't compatible with the maple.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Well with maple ,sugar ,rock or whatever the Canadians dub it or even soft maple like silver .

Green felled ,standing dead or whatever do not dilly dally with it .Get it split and best to be under cover or at least tarped .If left in the round it will rot in record speed .

SwampDonkey

I've never experienced that. In fact when we cut sugar maple in the winter and hauled it into the field edge, it was left until July as tree length. It would often have small fine twigs that never got clipped with the saw, whip sized, that would most always be leaved out and green as grass when we went to buck it to length and bring into the house with the dump truck. I would say the grass and our heavy night dews would help recharge moisture a bit. We have heavy heavy dew up here. Might just as well call it rain and be done with it because your getting soaking wet. Nope obviously didn't get real dry until it was bucked and sat a couple months in the sun and wind. We left lots as rounds and split stuff bigger than 8 inches. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I've seen it grow mushrooms if left in the rounds for 6 months ,summer time .Winter might be different .

SwampDonkey

I don't see that unless left outside two summers, and even then it's still good. Burnt lots of it this fall from that old maple we cut down in the yard. Had a cord left from previous year.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Aren't you the same guy that stashs all your firewood in the basement ? Now what you leave it outside for the neighbors dog to hike his leg on ?

Al_Smith

Hey wait a minute maybe that dog business is why that gent things maple stinks so bad .If so that certainly would answer the stinky maple conundrum. Gee that was simple enough .Blame it on Rover .

yellowrosefarm

The maple I'm burning now is from a yard tree that was dying. It is called "red" maple around here, probably for the brilliant red foliage in the fall. It always dripped sap in the early spring from the sapsucker holes in the trunk. It had been declining for years and finally sprouted fungus all over one side last summer. When we cut it down, about 1/3 was punky and most of the branches were hollow. It's not really as dry as it should be but with this prolonged cold I burnt my "planned" supply of wood by the end of January. I'm still having trouble believing I've burnt as much wood as I have this year.

SwampDonkey

The basement overfloweth with wood that spring when filling the basement so some must be parked outside. :D

Kinda like that picture in one's mind of the horn of plenty everyone's mother had on their coffee table from ceramics class. :D

Sorry if I was too greedy boss. ;D

bobby s

I want to know when the Swamp Donkey + Al Smith comedy show is going on the road. Perhaps Larry The Cable Guy could open up? ???
I'll be the 1st one in line for tickets. Prolly be a big hit for the wood burners out there!
Keep up the good work fellas, you've given me many laughs throughout this long winter. :D

Knute

I bun mostly the 3 mentioned by Firechief. Prefer white oak at night since it lasts longer. At one time or another, I have burned everything that grows in my woods. Hickory smells good, but dries very slowly. Butternut also smells great but burns fast. Ironwood is good too.

Knute

Al_Smith

Quote from: bobby s on February 11, 2014, 04:10:29 PM
I'll be the 1st one in line for tickets. Prolly be a big hit for the wood burners out there!
Keep up the good work fellas, you've given me many laughs throughout this long winter. :D
Well Swampish encouraged me in a way to liven things up.I've somewhat learned a new version of the English language although I'm not real sure of the origin .

I'm not real sure why the old boy burnt that maple last instead of first with about 3 dump trucks full of wood in the basement of  that big ole farmhouse but he did .

Shotgun

Quote from: Knute on February 11, 2014, 08:49:47 PM
Should say "I burn".

You can always edit your own posts.  Very easy to do.  Just go to the post, click on 'modify' and follow your nose.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

DDDfarmer

You guys talking about burning all these exotic woods that I would have to place a special order and a deposit just to get some lumber way up here in the far north.  And my friends wonder why I keep all the cut-offs that maybe I could use on something else.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Al_Smith

Well it just depends on where you live I guess .The left coasters talk of giant Douglas firs and coast redwoods and we in the midwest hardwoods talk of giant oaks and dead ash trees .

Funny all the Canadians talk of "rock maple " while the largest producer of maple bowling alley stock is 30 miles south of me in Ohio .Go figure that one out .

36 coupe

White ash is my favorite but burn anything.Choosing just 3 species would leave out a lot of good firewoods.Grey birch is considered a poor fire wood but if you look at a good BTU chart you will see its close to white birch and white ash  in BTU content.Dry firewood is worth more than money in the bank.No white oak or hickory on my place.Get your fire wood cut to stove length and under cover.My son found that green sugar maple is a good chimney plugger.I cut a lot that was full of white ash last year.Tall trees with few limbs.Hate to see saw logs cut up for firewood.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: 36 coupe on February 20, 2014, 08:52:21 AM
Hate to see saw logs cut up for firewood.

Yup. About 20 years ago we had a hurricane come through. A friend of mine I used to work with called me and asked if I wanted some free firewood, well, of course I did. I went over there and he had several large Cherry trees down. 24"+ at the butt, very long and very straight. I told him he needed to get someone to come in and pick them up as log length as these were very nice logs. He said he didn't have time; they were hosting a big Memorial Day party and his wife wanted them gone. I cut them up into 18" long sections and hauled them home. They split perfectly. Every chunk I split I thought of my cabinet maker friend I occasionally hunt with in Maine and swore to myself I'd never tell him about it because he'd of had a fit!

WVhunter

Here in WV, mine are ; Locust, Oaks, Hickory.

lmo506

Quote from: Ken on January 27, 2014, 03:34:23 AM
Sugar maple, yellow birch and beech.  Doesn't get any better than that around here
And hornbeam
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

CRThomas

Quote from: ReggieT on January 26, 2014, 06:41:19 PM
I've had the opportunity to burn a ton of different firewood, some excellent-some not so great!
Over the years I've developed a fondness for 3 species: Osage Orange, White Ash, Shagbark Hickory.

If you had only 3 woods to burn until you left planet earth...WHAT WOULD BE YOUR "BIG THREE?"

Also is there any wood you LOVED, but can no longer access or any wood you just flat out...HATED?? LOL

Look forward to the feedback,
Reggie
My three are Ash / Ash / Ash

David1990zx00

Smell?Rly?
Guys, isolation system helps to solve this problem, if you can't stand the smell, but, i think it's pretty funny.
Look here, for example, simple http://crownstoves.co.uk/product-category/wood-burning-stoves/ system, metal doors with some protector- no smell, no problems. :P

Thewoodman

Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

drobertson

any of the oaks, hickory, Mainly this is what we have, then anything available if need be.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!