iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For the guys selling bundles,

Started by B.C.C. Lapp, April 16, 2024, 05:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Corley, Barge, thanks loads for the input.   I'm taking notes here.   The bags I ordered just to get started showed up.   Well made, seem strong. We stuffed  few and its easy enough but also very clear immediately that to do say, a hundred at a crack or so would be slow and clumsy.  We will figure better ways to do it.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

barbender

Using a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut off is a quick and cheap upgrade. I also do a few bags, with this method, to use up shorts and pieces that don't fit well in the bundler.

I should've mentioned before, my bundler is set up for making square bundles, where Corley's is for round ones. The used bundler I bought was already configured that way and I came to appreciate how they stacked. But they also slow down the speed at which we can make them, no doubt.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

I will get a picture of the "bagger tray" I had for filling bags, it's a metal pan open on 1 side, had a stand with a catch and spring, stack the wood in, slide the bag over and tip it down. For production bags it was slick. Pulp is 54-56 a ton right now, my area isn't really used to seeing 8' wood, alot of these small processor / firewood operations aren't going to exist another 3-5yrs here because the guys flat out won't be able to buy a stick of wood.  

thecfarm

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 20, 2024, 02:20:57 PMI  Pulp is 54-56 a ton right now, my area isn't really used to seeing 8' wood, alot of these small processor / firewood operations aren't going to exist another 3-5yrs here because the guys flat out won't be able to buy a stick of wood. 
We use to see 8 foot wood here when the paper mill in Jay was running. Now it seems to be 20 feet? 
But I don't under why they won't be able to buy wood. :huh?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on April 20, 2024, 05:19:35 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 20, 2024, 02:20:57 PMI  Pulp is 54-56 a ton right now, my area isn't really used to seeing 8' wood, alot of these small processor / firewood operations aren't going to exist another 3-5yrs here because the guys flat out won't be able to buy a stick of wood. 

But I don't under why they won't be able to buy wood ?
Less guys cutting wood, less people who wanna bother putting a triaxle in a bad spot, people got used to the idea of "cheap wood". 56 bucks a ton is 2k a load, no whining about crooked wood, quality / quantity. I know some people who would fill their yards for 7-800 a healthy triaxle load right now, can't even get anyone. No diff sawmills, processors, why you see alot of them out there for sale with 500-1k hrs, the source drys up and they are done. 

thecfarm

Gotta.
I use to sell hardwood pulp from my land. I got all the money, but trucking. 
Had a lot of people tell me I need a truck.  :huh?  I was a very small time guy with a 40 hp tractor and a 3 PT logging winch. Not much of a volume logger.
But I was cutting some good size trees. Not much money in pulp, but the logs paid the bills.
Plus if I truck, who is cutting??
Then others told me to get a wood processor.
Again, why? I push it up into a pile and get about 43 dollars a cord. Again, who's cutting if I run the processor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OH logger

Not to hijack the thread but we've considered switching to bags from wrapped bundles.  One reason being we could do a bunch of bags ahead when it's not fit to log.  I'm talking like months before we need them. Do any of you wrap bundles with plastic and store them inside for months before selling them?  We have plenty of room inside to store them where it's dry.  That should help the wrap not to loosen I'd say but not sure how tight they'd still be.  If we stick to plastic I'm really trying to stay away from a shrink wrapper like a wood packer oven machine.  Any thoughts on storing plastic wrapped bundles for months? And yes the wood is DRY when wrapped
john

Corley5

I don't inventory processed firewood in any form. It goes directly on the truck for immediate delivery. I don't even like leaving wood on the truck overnight ffsmileyHandling takes time and time is $$$. I'd be concerned with the wood drying a bit more and the bundles loosening up and/or molding. Bags would breathe and wouldn't get loose.
  I souped my Twister up a bit. The gears in the gear reduction stripped a couple years after I acquired it. Dirt, moisture, and freezing appeared to be the cause from a bad o-ring on the gear case.. It was a bit slow anyway so the new one is geared a couple steps higher. Made a real difference. $60 or $65 for the machine, less than $400 for the new drive, thousands of bundles total and it owes me nothing  ffcool ffcool
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

B.C.C. Lapp

Well we stuffed some bags yesterday afternoon.   I grabbed  a face cord and we filled 48 bags with it.   I'm okay with that.   Took us almost an hour.   A little fumbley at first but we got faster toward the end.    Already can see better ways to go at it.   Pretty easy all around.  Making my first deliveries of bags today. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Thank You Sponsors!