iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: 029 from ebay

Started by Mark M, March 11, 2004, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

yep, and the wind was blowin from viewers angle(you, sittin at your desk blowing on the screen ;D
the lean wasnt quite that extreme as you show in your crayola drawing, but there was a lean, and a bit branch heavy.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kevin

I wouldn't have bored that tree.
I would have used the normal back cut backed up with wedges and advance the wedges with the cut in behind the bar.

redpowerd

kevin, do you think i got lucky?
could the hinge rip out as i was finishing the back cut?
my experience with ash, the hinge is very strong, sometimes pulling lenghts of hinge wood out of the stump a foot or more.

my last cut, there was no closing on the bar, and no opening either, seemed perfect.

it did scare me enough to trim 3 more escapes out of the brush, as this was my first attempt using this method. it went where i asked and i safely coaxed the top of the tree straight, then over. TIMBER! she was a bigun!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Kevin

There was enough hinge wood to hold the tree because it did hold and it could have closed the felling cut without the wedges in place but other than that I don't think you were in any real danger but given another tree with bad wood inside or a weaker hinge it could change the outcome.

redpowerd

to no avail, i looked and looked.
ill try www.sawmillmag.com
mabie i read it in countryside, or mabie backwoods home. dont know, but i WILL find it

kevin, if there was bad wood, i wouldnt have done it that way.
just way too unpredictable. actually, if there was any bad wood at all i would have dropped it the direction God aimed it.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

oldsaw-addict

When a tree has bad wood it goes whichever way it goes when I cut it. I dont even try to save a tree with bad wood, I just let it fall wherever it falls and leave it at that.of course I do follow the successful tree felling with some bucking and stacking.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

When you see bad wood inside the notch you should adjust the felling cut to compensate leaving a larger hinge, sometimes higher sometimes wider.
Many people work without the aid of wedges and it makes the job more difficult and dangerous.
The sapwood is generally good even when the heart is punky or gone altogether but you should never have to guess where the tree is going to fall.

redpowerd

well i spaced off and forgot to bid on the handle >:(
went for 51 bucks >:(
it sure was purdy, even said super :-/
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

VK540_1

Kevin
I checked the depth gauge for the 029 and their set at .025 in. and that is what the manual recomends. After using the saw again this weekend I think the major problem is chain lubrication. The saw never seem to use much oil but I don't think it's getting any. I ran the saw over clean snow and don't see any oil. I cleaned the bar, drained and cleaned oil tank, cleaned oil pickup filter, turned the oil adjustment screw to max (only turns about a quarter turn)  I then ran the saw without the blade, a small amount of oil oozes out of the hole. If the oil pump is the next thing to check where is it located and how do you check it?
Thanks Tom

SasquatchMan

They don't use too much oil - bout 2/3 tank of oil for a tank of gas if you have it turned right up... but that's enough to spray oil under the bar on snow or a log or cardboard or a tailgate or whatever.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

The Stihls are known for that.
I crank the oil up on my Huskies and it's one tank of oil to one tank of fuel.
I have no bar or chain wear on the links.
The bars plug up fast.
I always make it a habit to clean them after any heavy use.
The oil pump on the 029 is in behind the clutch.

Thank You Sponsors!