iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut oak

Started by Patrick NC, March 03, 2020, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I finally got my mill to cut fairly straight in oak. Not perfect, but its much better than the first oak log I tried to mill. I got some pretty nice 5/4 x 6 inch boards for my step daughter's deck.

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

GullyBog

Nice!  1x6 is such a useful dimension for oak.  I'm sure it will look good and last a while.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

WV Sawmiller

And it finishes well. These benches are chestnut oak with a tung oil finish.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

Chestnut white oak is open pored, so it's not the best white oak option for exterior projects.  You're going to want to finish it well with a good stain or other type of preservative if it's exposed to the weather.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Patrick NC

Thanks for the heade up about chestnut oak not being great for exterior construction. I'll be sure to use stain and probably a sealer too.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

CCCLLC

That is looking good. Looks like great progress in the learning curve of milling. Good job!

Patrick NC

Quote from: CCCLLC on March 04, 2020, 06:13:56 PM
That is looking good. Looks like great progress in the learning curve of milling. Good job!
Thanks. It's a lot more fun when they actually look like boards instead of wooden snakes!😁

Nebraska

Wooden snakes, never.... those are rustic milled boards :D

CCCLLC

I see the price going up when you mentioned rustic. Good job.

Ron Wenrich

In my area, chestnut oak seems to be prone to shake.  Sometimes it doesn't come up until it starts to dry.  Those dark mineral streaks are areas most likely for it to form.  Things are different from region to region within the same species.  So, your experience may be different.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Patrick NC

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on March 07, 2020, 09:38:10 AM
In my area, chestnut oak seems to be prone to shake.  Sometimes it doesn't come up until it starts to dry.  Those dark mineral streaks are areas most likely for it to form.  Things are different from region to region within the same species.  So, your experience may be different.
Thanks for the info. I've not heard of that being a problem around here, but then again I'm pretty new to milling.  I hope that's not the case around here as I have about 11 acres of chestnut oak.  I'd hate to have 11 acres of firewood. 

Patrick NC

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on March 07, 2020, 09:38:10 AM
In my area, chestnut oak seems to be prone to shake.  Sometimes it doesn't come up until it starts to dry.  Those dark mineral streaks are areas most likely for it to form.  Things are different from region to region within the same species.  So, your experience may be different.
Looks like you were right.  A lot of the boards I cut are starting to show ring shake( I think. When I googled it that's what it looked like.) I wonder what the percentage of trees will have that?

Ron Wenrich

I think its caused by a bacteria.  Pin oak gets it, and it stinks when you cut it.  It has those dark streaks and they also are prone to ring shake.  Black oak gets what we call mineral streaks.  Its usually a black streak.  I had a lumber grader tell me that often turns to shake when it dries.  It isn't mineral, its bacteria.

I've cut some really nice chestnut oak.  It usually grows on the lower sides of the mountains on fairly decent soil.  Chestnut oak is also called rock oak, because it will grow in rocky areas.  Those trees are slow growing, and the quality isn't very good.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!