iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of hemlock is this?

Started by StephW7753, June 01, 2022, 12:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephW7753

In the backyard of a house in south-central Pennsylvania. Also, does it look healthy at a glance, or should we be concerned?

Update: After a bit more research, it appears the tree is an eastern hemlock, and is definitely invested by woolly adelgids. Headed to the store now to get an insecticide...

KEC

I'm no expert on different hemlocks, but I can't help thinking, if it is Eastern Hemlock it is like a fish out of water growing by itself in the open. Would do better in a cool shady woods.

sprucebunny

I live in hemlock woods and it doesn't look like hemlock to me . Hemlock needles are flat and flat on the stem. The cones look more like Douglas fir ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Like a balsam fir in full sun, the eastern hemlock needles grow in a different arrangement when in full sun. They tend to spiral the stem, instead of lay flat when shaded. Our smaller shaded hemlock get real broomy up here to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Quercusrubrum

Definitely eastern hemlock. Needles and cones fit the bill. You can also see how the bark is a bit purple-ish with red underneath when it chips. That's quintessential eastern hemlock.
Never cross a river that is 4 feet deep on average.

moodnacreek

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 03, 2022, 05:15:44 AM
Like a balsam fir in full sun, the eastern hemlock needles grow in a different arrangement when in full sun. They tend to spiral the stem, instead of lay flat when shaded. Our smaller shaded hemlock get real broomy up here to.
Eastern red cedar [juniper ]  does this. I showed this to a young forester once and he was sure it was another tree. Another time he was helping me on the sawmill. We where sawing Norway spruce as usual and I had pressure washed the logs. He wondered what killed the trees. I told him they where cut live but he could tell by the bark they had died. Told him he was wrong, it started to get ugly so I had to let on.

Thank You Sponsors!