iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this chestnut oak?

Started by kelLOGg, October 26, 2022, 07:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

It sprouted in the fall foliage near the garden. I plan to transplant it.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

Pointy tips is a red, those full gullets (sinuses) look like a northern red to me. A chestnut oak has many rounded tips around the edge.

Only pic I had in the gallery is the bark. Its the heaviest bark in our woods. I think the honker with the hare hole in the background is an elderly northern red.

Edit, here's a few chestnut oak leaves;

kelLOGg

This is what I call red oak leaves. They don't look like the short pointy leaves in the opening post. I know there a lot of different varieties of red oak. 

DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

Which red oak and why you think so?

Look white oak to me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

This is a tricky one. I am reminded of something Danny taught me a few years back. Leaf shapes and bark change as a tree ages. You have a photo of a seedling and I am still leaning toward Chestnut oak. There is a European species that looks really close to this one in your photo. As Don said, it has a really really heavy bark.

The leaves in your second post are definitely white oak. If anything, they are close to Scarlet oak, which is similar with deep throats but very pointy.

I am going to (and I can't believe I am saying this) disagree with Don and say it is absolutely not a read oak. We have tons of Northern red and scarlet oak here, and that ain't it. :D But I see what he is looking at and why he thinks it's a red. However, when I do get to see a red oak seedling before a deer kills it, the leaves are miniatures of the mature tree. I get them popping up on my lawn each spring like weeds.

Transplant it and let it grow (keep the danged deer away from it) and see how the leaves develop. In a couple of years, maybe I will have to apologize to Don. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

kelLOGg

This is what I call white oak - bark and leaves shown below. The leaves have rounded "fingers" whereas RO has pointed ones. 

moodnacreek

When I visited North Carolina the locals called white oak red oak. Some like to call white cedar juniper also. When you communicate outside your area this won't work.                   Without thinking I will still say buttonball rather than sycamore. Blame my childhood.

firefighter ontheside

Chestnut oak is in the white oak group and does not have pointy tips on the leaves.  Swamp chestnut oak does have points and yours may be that.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Seachaser

Our swamp chestnut is a member of the white oak family. Both have rounded lobes. I was always taught red / pointed and white / rounded. The oak sprouted in the original post looks like a black jack oak. 

Thank You Sponsors!