iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar or something else

Started by JoshNZ, November 09, 2022, 05:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Was given these logs and told they were Poplar, have been milling them into pallets but after seeing some new growth shoots I'm not so sure?

Wlmedley

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Ianab

Possibly Yunnan Poplar, or one of the million or so hybrids.  Commonly planted for erosion control around here, basically you plant a stick in the ground, and it shoots like that, and pretty soon you have a tree. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

First time I've milled whatever it is, and first time I've milled Poplar if that is what it is, so I don't really know what I'm looking at. Smells and looks remarkably like red elm I thought.

SwampDonkey

The stem looks square shaped, which isn't a trait of poplars, genus Populous. Nor is the beat red color.

Black poplar (Populous nigra) have red flowers, but not red shoots and veins.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Looks more like a willow to me than a poplar, if it were here.

I sure miss you Danny.:'(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Yes, so do I. He would have had it figured out 2 posts ago.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JoshNZ

Poplar Yunnanensis looks pretty spot on after doing some reading actually Ian, as usual. Thanks for replies 

SwampDonkey

I don't see any red veins or red square stems in any photos of the tree I look at. The squarish stem doesn't have me convinced it's a poplar.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Possibly a hybrid or a "clone" of a specific tree. The Red shoots and leaf stems are a common feature of the locally grown ones. It's most common in new shoots, the mature leaves seem more green. 

This is a plant nursery site in NZ, their picture shows the red stem and veins, 

Buy Populus yunnanensis Online - Southern Woods

Some of the commercially available species and hybrids. Check page 18 for Yunnan.

https://www.poplarandwillow.org.nz/documents/poplar-clones.pdf

I'm 100% sure it's some sort of populus species / hybrid. Out in the hill country at the end of the mail run you can't throw a rock without hitting one.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JoshNZ

Couple of screen shots below have me believing it is at least a Poplar of some description. I was thinking something else due to not being the big triangular/ovate leaf of yellow Poplar but it seems these are pretty close. Populus szechuanica is the middle one, seems to be compressed and unreadable 

SwampDonkey

Looks like a possibility for sure according to those images. But not characteristic of poplar I've ever seen. The new young shoots usually give clues to flower color. And I see P. nigra is a cross in those hybrids and it has red flowers. What appears to be square stemmed, must be striping. Our popples tend to have white or yellow flowers over here and no square stems. If you look at tea roses, the new shoots in the spring give you an indication of it's flower color. Fall leave color in trees is another matter. Red maple has red flowers, but it can have red, orange or yellow fall leaf color.

Trembling

Large tooth

balsam

JoshNZ

I'll take a better photo of stem next time I'm at the yard for interests sake

Thank You Sponsors!