iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American chestnut tree?

Started by Stevenjohn21, December 14, 2022, 07:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Looks like a Pin Oak that was growing in close proximity to a Chestnut.

customsawyer

Like I said before, I have no idea where the burs came from or off of. As for the smell, there is no telling what is in the ground that is causing the mineral stain. It could very well change the way the wood smells. I wish it was a chestnut as bad as you do but I don't see it. If you can't make it to UGA with a piece of it, you can take a piece to the county extension agent and they can send it to them. Wish you had some more of those burs too but I don't think they came from the tree. I think they came from something else. It is interesting there was no leaves under or on the tree but lots of burs. Leads one to think that since the tree was coming down someone might be playing a prank. Best of luck.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

KEC

I'm reluctant to say this as I don't care to sound foolish, but glancing at that last photo, Hackberry came to mind. Just saying.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Southside

That mineral stain, combined with the off odor, could actually be a bacterial infection - common to the lesser red oaks.  In my experience with infected oak as it dries a lot of it basically falls apart.  First time I saw that in lumber I had no idea what it was - WDH was the one who educated me on it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 22, 2023, 05:10:13 AM
Looks like a Pin Oak that was growing in close proximity to a Chestnut.
Pin oak you say? Almost an insult.   The bark looks like pin oak and the sap wood and the dead knots and the ring count do too. The color of the sawn lumber is what throws me off. I don't see that green look. If I was there and after it drys a little it would be easy to id pin oak.

moodnacreek

Yesterday I finished sawing the oak and there was a big fresh cut pin oak in the mix that I hearted  out a 12 x12 from. I otherwise have no use for pin oak but I made 1" jacket boards, some edged 12" wide and they are identical to the photo.

Thank You Sponsors!