iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stain on Pine

Started by lowpolyjoe, July 25, 2016, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I'm building a small table out of some white pine I milled a few years ago with my chainsaw mill setup.  It has pretty bad staining on parts.  I don't mind the look too much since it will mostly be hidden, but I was wondering if that stain means there is any sort of live fungus or bacteria growing?

Wood was stickered for maybe 3 years (?) but only partially covered.  I just brought it inside a few days ago.  When machining it down to usable size I was hoping I could avoid all the stain, but I couldn't. 

Are there any health concerns associated with using lumber with this type of staining?

Thanks a lot,
Joe

bkaimwood

I know that this stain, which appears to be "blue stain", is caused by a bacteria, mold, or fungus feeding off the sugars in the wood (mostly the sapwood) when the humidity, moisture content, temperatures, and other conditions are right. I know it has the potential to cause health concerns in rare instances when an individual is sensitive to such things...I have, however, never experienced it, or know anyone who has. I would also think that once the project is finished, polyurathaned or whatever, that that should "seal" the lumber from potential hazards. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned, but that's me...
bk

69bronco

Looks good to me.. Run with it!

samandothers

It will make a nice accent and conversation piece.

Bruno of NH

I build and sell things made with blue stained pine .
I also sell it at the mill .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

The table is being built to hold a couple of hamster cages.  I think little critters can be susceptible to respiratory problems so I'm slightly more worried than I would be in general (since they will literally spend their entire lives on top of it).

I was planning to finish it with water based poly.  I dislike the look of it, but shellac (my favorite finish) just won't hold up to the random water splashes that are inevitable with a critter cage.  Perhaps several coats of that will seal in any airborne stuff.

WDH

It will be fine.  The blue stain fungus has long expired.  It cannot live in dry wood.  You are good to go.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed. This is blue stain which is caused by blue colored fungi.  The fungi,are active only when the wood's moisture content is above 22% MC.  However, when dry, there are fungi spores.  A few people are allergic to these spores, especially when the wood is sanded and the spores are in the air.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!