iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manitou Islands

Started by HOGFARMER, August 22, 2001, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

Has anyone been to either North or South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan? I'm going to strap on my backpack and camp on one of them for a few days and I cold use some tips or suggestions! :)
Manual LT-30

Jeff

Hey I wanta go!  Bob are you going to loging congress the weekend after Labor day?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Bob, I`ve never been but I could suggest you take a boat. :D

What information are you searching for?  :P

Is this the place?

Ron Scott

Bob,
I've been to both of them some. Just prepare with all the necessary backpacking gear for "no trace camping" and potential weather changes influenced by the Lake. Also prepare to stay a few days longer should there be severe weather changes and boat can't get in for pick up. My last trip off South Manitou was a lucky jump to the boat as it made only one pass by the dock during rough seas. Trip back to the mainland wasn't too much fun that day.

Ground fires are not permitted so have an alcohol or similar non wood fuel stove for cooking.

A lot of interesting terrain and scenic shorelines. You should check with the Park Service at Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore for latest information, rules & regulations etc. if you haven't already. They also have a Ranger Station on South Manitou. A lot of historical sites there, visit the lighthouse, etc. Campsites nearby.

There use to be an excessive number of deer on the Islands, but hunters have thinned them done to reasonable numbers over past years of special hunting seasons.

~Ron

Jeff

Now there is some down right neighborly advice from Canada.

"Take a boat"  :D :D :D

HOGFARMER

Hey, thanks guys for the input! Whatya mean take a boat? I've been practicing my back stroke all summer long! :)I think I am going to the South Island for my first trip there. Its a little smaller and I only have a few days. I'm sure neither Island is as challenging as Isle Royale,  but from what I have heard about it, it's worth the trip. Maybe I'll hit the North Island next spring.  

Jeff- Yes, I was thinking about going to the Logging Congress, but so far I am not sure yet. I haven't been to one yet, what are they like?
Manual LT-30

Jeff

Bob, I have no idea what they are like, they are usually held far enough away that I don't get a chance to go, but I am going to be in St. Ignace for MFRA's annual meeting anyway, and the cabin is only an hour away from there, so I'm going to make an event out of the trip :D

Thank You Sponsors!