iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

180 Twist in a Banded V Belt

Started by Charles135, October 11, 2012, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles135

I am so close to getting my mill running I can taste the saw dust.  I do need some help with a belt section.  I currently have a 5 groove banded v belt size "b", that came with my power unit.  Can you put a 180 degree twist in a banded v belt?  If so how much of a spread do you would I need for the twist to work?  Or does anyone have a better solution to a 180 twist?  Someone locally suggested a double sided timing style belt but I have never seen one long enough for my application.  I have a 100 hp JD diesel pulling a 46 insert tooth blade at 575 rpm. 
Thanks in advance
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

reride82

Charles,
I know you can do it with individual belts, but I assume you are talking a belt with 5 grooves in it, right? It can probably be done, but I would guess that belt life could be short. How big are your pulleys? How far apart will they be? How will you tension your belt? I don't think that an idler pulley works on a twist setup, so you'll have to tension by moving your power unit. If the pulleys are far enough apart, a twist setup should work fine, but if your pulleys are too close, there will be alot of stress on the belt from having to twist quickly. I have seen where a properly placed bar can keep the belt from slapping against itself where it crosses, this will probably help as well.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

bandmiller2

Charlie,by banded do you mean their all attached at the top.? What are you trying to do change rotation to the arbor.? They cross flat belts  to change rotation and increse grip suppose if they were long enough you could,but don't know for sure.Possibly better ways to change rotation like a jackshaft. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Charles135

Levi and Bandmiller2,
The belts is connected at the top, it is 14 feet long, the pulleys are 7 feet apart and are 6 inches in diameter. I will tension the belt by moving my power unit.  I have it on skids and have it hooked on with threaded rod that I can move the unit in and out.  I am trying to change the roataion of the arbor. 
Thanks for the info guys.  Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit

bandmiller2

Charlie all I can say is try it,cross the belts and pull it over by hand,if everything seems smooth try it under power.Please share your results with all of us. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Charles135

Baring the creek don't rise and the sun come up I am going to give her a whirl this weekend.  I will try to provide a link to a video if all goes well and I have all my fingers and toes after the attempt. 
Charlie.
Charlie

reride82

Good luck Charlie!
Its always a great feeling to get that blade spinning  ;) Then the real fun begins trying to tweak everything just right to make that blade sing  8)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!